Where Will the Improvement Come From?

Remove this Banner Ad

So it's obvious that next year, we're going to have an extremely young list. We also lost our best player, our coach, and a couple of other good players. But we can't afford to be stagnant and just accept that next year is just not going to be good for us. We have to improve in areas and at the very least show that we've still got a very bright future. But where's it going to come from?

Of course we have the natural improvement of young players gaining more experience, but what's going to be the place that massively improves? A new gameplan/new coach? Fringe players becoming best 22? Lin Jong? The next Biggs thing? Stringer just deciding to run through players?

I personally think that the backline might surprise. Talia or Roberts I think will come in and announce themselves as best 22, with the other pushing for a place. And Roughead will get some form back. Add to that Biggs coming in as a HBFer, Murphy/JJ on the other HBF and Picken taking the smalls, as well as Morris, and it could all come together to form a pretty solid unit. Add to that that I expect there will be an improvement in overall team defense, and I think we won't concede as many goals next year.

Hrovat and Hunter need to step up in the guts. Fill the Griffen void.

Stringer 100 goals as captain next year. Leads us to a decade of prosperity next season with 4 flags in tow.

For me its more about getting our outside running game flowing better as well as our tall defensive setup. Better defensive structures to stop leaking goals against opposition KPF's particularly when opposition tend to do so much damage in a single quarter.

My opinion being that our team needs to way into consideration choosing players based on the balance of our team rather than picking several of the same type who are in form. We need a consistent structure that our players can evolve around in particularly picking players who provide the run and carry and good skills.

I think our midfield is all but sorted as well as our forward setup. Think Boyd and Stringer are more than capable of holding down FF and CHF for the next decade. Can't afford to choose much more than 4 inside mids a game. Hunter to push onto a wing too, providing the agility and acceleration that he can provide.

Last edited:

Roughead with his shoulder fixed and a bit more strength after another pre-season will help, as well as a fit and firing Easton Wood.
Those two players being healthy will help considerably. It will allow someone like Darley to be free'd up a little.

Then either one or both of Roberts and Talia cementing a spot on the senior list.

That's where I think most of the improvement will come from. Defense.

I think the midfield and forward line will continue to show gradual improvement, but not enough to be mind blowing.

As above, the backline needs to come of age. My ideal version would look like this:

FB Roughy Talia Johanissen
HB Murphy Roberts Wood

Picken and Morris in support roles as they develop. Murph just too important to leave out.

And as I've stated before, Jong and Redpath stepping up to midfield and FF respectively.

Honey and Hrovat to step into midfield and average 20 touches a game at 75%+ efficient.

Picken in to tag freeing up Wallis as a hard gut running mid working in tandem to feed Macrae, Bonti, Honey and Rat.

Stringer to carry on his end of season form and kick 40 + goals.

Crameri to crack the 40 goal mark for the first time with improved midfield supply.

Hunter to become a forward line regular, and Dalhaus will go back to his dangerous best close to goal. Both will kick 25 + goals for the year.

Roberts and Talia to cement their place as key pillars in defence and Roughead released to play second ruck and forward, he combines with Boyd to kick 60 goals combined. This allows Moz to play lock down on key small forwards.

With a decent chop out, Minno makes All Australian again.

Obviously, ideal world scenario.

I'm too tired and frustrated (arguing with simpletons on the main board) to type out a long and reasoned post, but I see the improvement coming from the emergence of Roberts (who displayed good form throughout the year at AFL and VFL level) and Talia, our young key pillars. A fit Roughie will be fantastic, too.

We'll no doubt get more out of Hrovat, Honeychurch and Hunter in the forward half/midfield, and I'm confident, particularly with Griffen having been traded, that we'll see more of Jong. Our forward line structure should also enable us to make the most of our entries, and take the pressure off either Crameri or Stringer.

We've got a few players that are ready to emerge - the worry in the meantime is the players that will suffer in the absence of Griffen and Cooney.

One thing that's bothered me for years is the inability of our leaders to take charge when we're travelling poorly - they're exceptionally talented and they were doing their best, but they just didn't work through the mid-game slumps. If the likes of Stringer, Bontempelli, Macrae, Hrovat etc can do that, we'll be in a position to win the game far more often than we have been in recent years.

Improvement for me will come from a game style that players want to play and
buy into and we will not know what shape that will take until we get a new coach
this for me is the biggest factor full stop. If we can watch the football and say
gee i didn't know he could play that role, that is a win regardless of the score.
Attack is the best form of defense and defense is the best form of attack i would
love a game style that followed this principal. If anything the age of our group
should encourage players to own it and be less reliant on the usual suspects.
I am genuinely excited to see players break the mould or cocoon and see what
emerges.

I don't think this board realises how good Talia will be and will be this very season.
This last year was just an aberration - he obviously had a poor relationship with the coach if the rumours are anything to go by. You can write it off and look at his 2013 form as a second-year player to see how good he'll be.
Don't forget he's now going to be 4th year player, another pre-season he'll mature and develop
In all the VFL games that I watched, he was clearly a class above in a purely defensive stopping role. Absolutely dominant
I'm also surprised at how little of the people have Talia in their best 22 - just a quick look at the Best 22 Thread, about 2/3 or 3/4 of people have him there where I should expect it to be in the 90% range.
And when I'm talking about improvement, I'm not talking merely being a best 22, I reckon through this season he can develop to the point that he's our best key defender and takes the best forward week in, week out. It means as Morris ages he can take a backseat, and Roughead can take the 2nd ruck/mountain player, not necessarily the best forward, so his lack of pace isn't found out (assuming he plays back, not forward, as I'm a big advocate of him playing forward).

Players that I reckon will really step up as well apart from Talia
Jong - should play 15+ games and be a gun
Hunter - again, I believe he is one that will benefit the most from a new coach
Roberts - I reckon he should have gotten more games last year
Wallis - I don't actually reckon he'll improve that much, but I reckon he's the player that this board underrates the most - his deficiencies are overstated (his kicking isn't actually that bad, come on) and that his actual good play will start to be recognised more.
Grant - another player who will benefit with a new coach and probably quicker ball movement into the forward line.

Talia, Jong, Roberts, Wallis, Grant, I reckon the player who are the ones who will be able to step up and stop being fringe/servicable players and actually turn into those very good role player, rank 10-15 players that can be very handy.

Obvious area is continued improvement in younger players
Stringer
Macrae
Bontempelli
Hrovat
hunter
Libba
Wally
Roughy
Dahl
Structural improvement if Roberts and or Tallia step up to the next level
Boyd takes the next steps in development

Most importantly we develop team structures and set ups as well as a consistent game style.

The amount we can improve is quite high

Under 24's Western Bulldogs (As of October 2014).

FB: Darley, Talia, Z.Cordy
HB: JJ, Roberts, Biggs
C: Hrovat, Liberatore, Macrae
HF: Stevens, Roughead, Dahlhaus
FF: T.Boyd, Stringer, Honeychurch
R: Campbell, Wallis, Bontempelli
Int: Hunter, Jong, Prudden, Pearce

We have a full team of under 24's on our list not to mention 5 more draftees ranging from pick 26 - 46.
Not to mention Crameri, Wood, A. Cordy all having another 7 years left.
Picken with around 3 - 4 seasons left.

Our list is in fantastic shape, despite having minimal senior players. 3 years onwards our list will be indestructable and nigh on impossible to match for talent bar expansion sides.
FWIW and I know it belongs in another thread I'd give Picken the job as captain as we are certainly going to get more than 1 season from him and after 2016 is the perfect time for one of Roughead, Wallis, Stringer or Hrovat to take the reins.
All of those kids should be in leadership squad not to mention Macrae, Bonts, Boyd Libba etc.
Stacked full of A-Graders. I have never been so excited.

We still need some young half back flankers like a Drummond so that JJ can play wing in future seasons but we are going to be fine as long as we keep our core 7 (Stringer, Bontempelli, T.Boyd, Macrae, Libba, Dahlhaus, Hrovat) together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under 24's Western Bulldogs (As of October 2014).

FB: Darley, Talia, Z.Cordy
HB: JJ, Roberts, Biggs
C: Hrovat, Liberatore, Macrae
HF: Stevens, Roughead, Dahlhaus
FF: T.Boyd, Stringer, Honeychurch
R: Campbell, Wallis, Bontempelli
Int: Hunter, Jong, Prudden, Pearce

We have a full team of under 24's on our list not to mention 5 more draftees ranging from pick 26 - 46.
Not to mention Crameri, Wood, A. Cordy all having another 7 years left.
Picken with around 3 - 4 seasons left.

Our list is in fantastic shape, despite having minimal senior players. 3 years onwards our list will be indestructable and nigh on impossible to match for talent bar expansion sides.
FWIW and I know it belongs in another thread I'd give Picken the job as captain as we are certainly going to get more than 1 season from him and after 2016 is the perfect time for one of Roughead, Wallis, Stringer or Hrovat to take the reins.
All of those kids should be in leadership squad not to mention Macrae, Bonts, Boyd Libba etc.
Stacked full of A-Graders. I have never been so excited.

We still need some young half back flankers like a Drummond so that JJ can play wing in future seasons but we are going to be fine as long as we keep our core 7 (Stringer, Bontempelli, T.Boyd, Macrae, Libba, Dahlhaus, Hrovat) together.
Great post, its not all gloom and doom on field

I look at it this way in terms of a core side.

Hawthorn one of the best teams of the modern era have had a number of players in which they build all parts of the ground around. I'm talking more about their 2012 and 2013 flags plus future season, which they should go close too.

These are their critical core of players which they have built their premiership flag tilt around and we can substitute our own players for a similar model.

Forward Line (3): J.Roughead, J. Gunston, L.Bruest, L Franklin (gone)
(3): T.Boyd J.Stringer, L.Dahlhaus
Midfield (3): S. Mitchell, J.Lewis, S Burgoyne
(4): T.Liberatore, J.Macrae, M. Bontempelli, N.Hrovat
Backline (3) : B. Lake, J.Gibson, L. Hodge, J.Frawley (acquired)
(0): at this stage need to wait on Talia/Roberts/Roughead etc.
Not to mention good players like I.Smith, B. Hill, C.Rioli, G. Birtchall, W. Langford plus several more
Our good players we can substitute: Hunter, Wallis, Crameri, J.Roughead, Wood? Stevens? JJ? (We need more so this is where our draft is critical).

Its plain to see that our forward line and midfield have taken pretty similar shape to Hawthorns and like them they didn't start of with the best defence at all. R. Campbell, R.Schoenmakers, B Stratton etc have all at times had to man bigger/better opponents over the past 4 - 5 seasons. But what they did is they traded players in to fix their defensive issues when the time was right. We need to do that too. So hypothetically say we get some good outside runners in this draft but next season our defense shows the same issues as this season. Well then our first pick goes on the trade table for a Carlisle type. Same theory but different outcome, say we draft O.Mcdonald and he shows promising signs as a defender plus Talia and Roberts play well enough to move Roughy into a more natural forward/2nd ruck role, but we still get beaten for outside run and carry. Well then our 2015 first round pick we can trade for WHE type/quality.

We could certainly get another core player as I like to call them in this years draft, plenty of Lewis taylor type steals we can get. We are building the right way. T.Boyd only just adds to that and now puts our young list straight into the spotlight of the comp. No doubt we will fire as a result of that too.

Last edited:
Hi guys, hope you don't mind me intruding. Just want to say how exciting it must be for you to grab big Tom Boyd. As a player who could potentially fill the void of a superstar like Ryan Griffen, he is exactly the type of player for you guys.

Wouldn't worry too much about the players leaving sans Griffen (Jones & Tutt) as they were hardly best 22 players for you guys anyway.

This draft is going to be so crucial in terms of where you are headed. With picks 26, 27, 39, 45, 46, 64 (Zaine Cordy) incoming will give you a chance to really build on from the already promising midfield you have built.

As for your current list, I think it is quite promising. The quality smalls you have stockpiled now need to be complimented by some proven falls and you will be right on your way back up the ladder.

Think Jordan Roughead cops a raw deal from outside the Dogs. Has shown to be a very adept KPD having hardly played there until a lack of tall defenders forced him to whilst you simply know what you're going to get from Dale Morris. Whilst Michael Talia hasn't come on like his brother, at 21 he still has plenty of time to show his wares and will provide some ample depth for you guys.

Adding one more KPD would be my preference as a dogs supporter. Michael Hartley is a 193cm, 21 year old former NSW scholarship player who played some excellent games for the Coburg Tigers in the VFL this year is a ready to go KPD who could be had later in the draft.

The run will certainly be provided by dashing defenders Easton Wood (would actually love him at Essendon if we needed players in this area), Bob Murphy and fresh recruit and former swan Shane Biggs who showed some excellent signs in the finals for Sydney.
Depth is certainly needed here, just need the likes of Lin Jong (elevated rookie) and Jason Johanissen to continue to improve and push for more senior game time.

The midfield is the area most opposition clubs are envy of the dogs. A good spread of inside midfielders (Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis - tagging) and outside runners (Jack MaCrae, Nathan Hrovat) whilst those rare bread of inside/outside goal kicking midfielders are led by super star in the making Marcus Bontempelli and Luke Dalhause with ample foot soldiers Koby Stevens, Lachie Hunter and hopefully 2 new incoming midfielders in this draft.

The forward line is still a work in progress, with big Tom Boyd as the solid foundation to build around you just need that second true KPF to compliment him. I Fletcher Roberts that man? or possibly Tom Campbell as a second forward/ruck? Maybe this is an area you look to the draft for also. Does Jack Redpath stay or does he go after not looking out of place on an AFL field?

A lot seems to have been spoken about around here about Reece McKenzie, with Tom Boyd I don't think he is the answer to your forward line problems as they seem to be essentially very similar players. Perhaps a Jack Cripps or a Harry Dear could be taken later in the draft.

The smalls are clicking very well. I really like the work that Tory Dickson does at ground level as both a marking small and ground level goal kicker. With more game time, Mitch Honeychurch can show the rest of the comp he won't let his height get in the way of allowing him to play AFL football.

As for the ruck department. Not sure Ayce Cordy is the answer long term. Enough would have been spoken about as a decent VFL player who has struggled to piece it all together at AFL level whilst Tom Campbell has shown enough signs (IMHO) to forge that second ruck/forward position his own. A genuine ruck to push former All Australian Will Minson should definitely be on the cards. Big lumber Sam Baulderstone from Norwood (SANFL) is the hottest prospect outside the AFL and would cost you a top 60 National Draft Pick but that should not worry you guys as the 24 year old (25.10.1990) could play rd 1 such is his prescence and development in the last 24 months.

As an overall, I really like the Dogs top end talent. IT has the capacity to be a top 8 club. It is the guys 15 - 30 on your list that you need to step up. The likes of Clay Smith (yes - i know he is returning from injury) Alex Greenwood and Sam Darley as guys who should be pushing into your best 22 next year.

With the draft, It really does shape as a make or break for you guys. Would love to see a draft end up for you guys as something like;

26/27: Conor Menadue, Corey Ellis, Tyler Keitel, Tom Lamb, Lyle Langford
39: Ed Vicker - Wills, Jack Cripps, Reece McKenzie
45/46: Michael Hartley, Teia Miles, Peter Bampton, Harrison Wigg, Dean Gore
64: Zaine Cordy (Father/Son)

With a best 22 for 2015 looking like:

Backs: Robert Murphy - Jordan Roughead - Dale Morris

Half Backs: Shane Biggs - Michael Talia - Easton Wood

Centre: Jackson Macrae - Tom Liberatore - Nathan Hrovat

Half Forwards: Koby Stevens - Jake Stringer - Luke Dalhause

Forwards: Tory Dickson - Tom Boyd - Tom Campbell

Rucks: Will Minson - Mitch Wallis - Marcus Bontempbelli

Interchange: Jason Johanissen - Liam Picken - Lachie Hunter - (Clay Smith)

Depth:

Defenders: Sam Darley, Zaine Cordy, Mark Austin, Lin Jong, Daniel Pearce

Midfielders: Draftee 1, Draftee 2, Draftee 3,

Forwards: Jack Redpath, Jarad Grant, Draftee 1, Draftee 2

Rucks: Draftee 1

With such a big list turnover this year, I really hope you guys can turn it around quickly as I really enjoy the work that guys like Bont, Easton Wood, Jake Stringer and Lukey Dalhause do.

Good luck for season 2015 guys

Go Bombers :thumbsu:

(edit: I have most likely forgotten someone so don't shoot me for missing someone so glaringly obvious :p:D)

Hi guys, hope you don't mind me intruding. Just want to say how exciting it must be for you to grab big Tom Boyd. As a player who could potentially fill the void of a superstar like Ryan Griffen, he is exactly the type of player for you guys.

Wouldn't worry too much about the players leaving sans Griffen (Jones & Tutt) as they were hardly best 22 players for you guys anyway.

This draft is going to be so crucial in terms of where you are headed. With picks 26, 27, 39, 45, 46, 64 (Zaine Cordy) incoming will give you a chance to really build on from the already promising midfield you have built.

As for your current list, I think it is quite promising. The quality smalls you have stockpiled now need to be complimented by some proven falls and you will be right on your way back up the ladder.

Think Jordan Roughead cops a raw deal from outside the Dogs. Has shown to be a very adept KPD having hardly played there until a lack of tall defenders forced him to whilst you simply know what you're going to get from Dale Morris. Whilst Michael Talia hasn't come on like his brother, at 21 he still has plenty of time to show his wares and will provide some ample depth for you guys.

Adding one more KPD would be my preference as a dogs supporter. Michael Hartley is a 193cm, 21 year old former NSW scholarship player who played some excellent games for the Coburg Tigers in the VFL this year is a ready to go KPD who could be had later in the draft.

The run will certainly be provided by dashing defenders Easton Wood (would actually love him at Essendon if we needed players in this area), Bob Murphy and fresh recruit and former swan Shane Biggs who showed some excellent signs in the finals for Sydney.
Depth is certainly needed here, just need the likes of Lin Jong (elevated rookie) and Jason Johanissen to continue to improve and push for more senior game time.

The midfield is the area most opposition clubs are envy of the dogs. A good spread of inside midfielders (Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis - tagging) and outside runners (Jack MaCrae, Nathan Hrovat) whilst those rare bread of inside/outside goal kicking midfielders are led by super star in the making Marcus Bontempelli and Luke Dalhause with ample foot soldiers Koby Stevens, Lachie Hunter and hopefully 2 new incoming midfielders in this draft.

The forward line is still a work in progress, with big Tom Boyd as the solid foundation to build around you just need that second true KPF to compliment him. I Fletcher Roberts that man? or possibly Tom Campbell as a second forward/ruck? Maybe this is an area you look to the draft for also. Does Jack Redpath stay or does he go after not looking out of place on an AFL field?

A lot seems to have been spoken about around here about Reece McKenzie, with Tom Boyd I don't think he is the answer to your forward line problems as they seem to be essentially very similar players. Perhaps a Jack Cripps or a Harry Dear could be taken later in the draft.

The smalls are clicking very well. I really like the work that Tory Dickson does at ground level as both a marking small and ground level goal kicker. With more game time, Mitch Honeychurch can show the rest of the comp he won't let his height get in the way of allowing him to play AFL football.

As for the ruck department. Not sure Ayce Cordy is the answer long term. Enough would have been spoken about as a decent VFL player who has struggled to piece it all together at AFL level whilst Tom Campbell has shown enough signs (IMHO) to forge that second ruck/forward position his own. A genuine ruck to push former All Australian Will Minson should definitely be on the cards. Big lumber Sam Baulderstone from Norwood (SANFL) is the hottest prospect outside the AFL and would cost you a top 60 National Draft Pick but that should not worry you guys as the 24 year old (25.10.1990) could play rd 1 such is his prescence and development in the last 24 months.

As an overall, I really like the Dogs top end talent. IT has the capacity to be a top 8 club. It is the guys 15 - 30 on your list that you need to step up. The likes of Clay Smith (yes - i know he is returning from injury) Alex Greenwood and Sam Darley as guys who should be pushing into your best 22 next year.

With the draft, It really does shape as a make or break for you guys. Would love to see a draft end up for you guys as something like;

Depth:

With such a big list turnover this year, I really hope you guys can turn it around quickly as I really enjoy the work that guys like Bont, Easton Wood, Jake Stringer and Lukey Dalhause do.

(edit: I have most likely forgotten someone so don't shoot me for missing someone so glaringly obvious :p:D)
Great post Yoda...showed quite a bit of insight - but is it revisionist history that you don't mention the loss of Cooney and can't find a spot anywhere in the Dogs team for Crameri? Pulling you leg but I did find that amusing - surprised you mentioned Tory Dickson or Tom Campbell on that basis :)

Depth:

Kudos Yoda for a very balanced assessment of our list and prospects. I think you've correctly identified our strengths (without gushing too much over Bontempelli et al) and are spot on in highlighting our deficiencies. Nice job mate. :thumbsu:

Although we have lost a stink load of experience, this past off season should be a long term benefit for us.

We now have a potential AA kpp at either end of the ground to go with our future deep and versatile midfield.

I think more than 7 wins is optimistic. But 7 - 8 would be a great result.

Our performance will rely most on these 5 players: Minson, Roughead, Liberatore, Bontempelli and Wallis. If these guys have big seasons together we're in good shape. There'll be good natural improvement from the players with ground to make up, like Hrovat, Hunter, Stevens and Darley but for things to function and us to truly worry teams those 5 will be the key.

As Timtam suggested, there's a big positive to look at in the new coach's management of Talia and Roberts. It's stunning how different we look at Talia to what we did 12 months ago. Players like he and hunter will be hanging out for a good relationship with the new coach

Agree with Yoda_ a lot here. Think we need a few more highly skilled players to fill the void with Griffen and Cooney leaving I think a Toby McLean (his beep and time trail as good as the mids and in some cases better) and/or a Connor Menadue could do this and maybe back up in the rookie draft in case Smith and Prudden stay eternally injured I'd lean towards Taylor Grace or Caleb Hislop as this. A mature defender would be nice maybe as rookie and a developing no 1 ruck like a Pittonet or Kovacevic or a state leaguer.

The improvement will come when the high level ball users we take at the draft come through to fill the voids (hence I'm looking for guys who have good fitness bases) and when our kids in the middle start to push aside Matthew Boyd

Grant - another player who will benefit with a new coach and probably quicker ball movement into the forward line.

I suspect Grant might be one of those players who will be providing the quicker ball movement to the forward line.
Probably a bit out there to think this, but I see him playing more midfield time next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back