Opinion Who will improve most in 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll go with Michie.
Can't agree on Barry: he's very lucky to have not been delisted.
Why would he have been delisted? He came in as a super skinny project and his development arc has been very promising. He's got all the correct running down which is why the coaching staff wanted him in some AFL games and he's a good kick. I think he's a good enough chance to take a role playing Bail/Jones gig to keep.

Why would he have been delisted? He came in as a super skinny project and his development arc has been very promising. He's got all the correct running down which is why the coaching staff wanted him in some AFL games and he's a good kick. I think he's a good enough chance to take a role playing Bail/Jones gig to keep.
Just my opinion. He's shown literally nothing at AFL level (not that you'd expect him to), but also not much at VFL level either. Used mainly as a tagger there and did OK, but barely touches the ball even in the VFL.

Just my opinion. He's shown literally nothing at AFL level (not that you'd expect him to), but also not much at VFL level either. Used mainly as a tagger there and did OK, but barely touches the ball even in the VFL.
Yeah he needs to get better at finding it. I just get the feeling that once he's strong enough to make his tackles stick he'll be very popular with Roos. He gets to every single contest. He can really run.

I reckon Bail could take his game to another level. After coming off his only full pre season and season, after 65 games and another pre season I think he can go up another notch.

I reckon Bail could take his game to another level. After coming off his only full pre season and season, after 65 games and another pre season I think he can go up another notch.
Needs to kick 20 and average 20 next season.

Needs to kick 20 and average 20 next season.
20 possies might be a bit much, i'm thinking 17-18, but 20 goals I don't think is beyond him, his kicking is always going to let him down though

What I'd really like is for someone else to win the Bluey! (especially if they win it off their own bat, and not because a certain no. 2 has a bad season).

Viney, Tyson, Watts (!?) all a chance.
Jimmy Toumpas to pull a Wingard and win it next year ;)

Being serious though, I fully expect Viney and Tyson to go to the next level either in 2015 or 2016 and end the Jones reign. Impossible to know what Watts will do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I'd really like is for someone else to win the Bluey! (especially if they win it off their own bat, and not because a certain no. 2 has a bad season).

Viney, Tyson, Watts (!?) all a chance.
Really? 4 in a row would be amazing.

Viney is the one that I wouldn't be surprised to see really step it up. People still underrate this guy. Most people pre-draft had him ahead of Wines. Full preseason + 22 games and he'll be a star.

Viney I hope to take the next step, he should be on par with Wines atm...Hope he and toomp take the next level.

Viney may have been ahead of Wines pre-draft but I'll be mighty surprised if he's ever better than Wines now. Ollie is an absolute gun, admittedly in a much better team but he looks a much more complete player. Jack should be a fantastic player for us, no doubt, but his kicking leaves a bit to be desired compared to Wines.

That said, yes he is probably primed for a bit of a breakout year.

Viney may have been ahead of Wines pre-draft but I'll be mighty surprised if he's ever better than Wines now. Ollie is an absolute gun, admittedly in a much better team but he looks a much more complete player. Jack should be a fantastic player for us, no doubt, but his kicking leaves a bit to be desired compared to Wines.

That said, yes he is probably primed for a bit of a breakout year.
Yeah he doesn't have Ollie's hands/speed in the contests. Plus there's a size imbalance. I don't think Jack's kicking is actually that bad though, just needs more experience under pressure.

Last edited:
I don't think there's much difference in their kicking, Wines can butcher it too.

The difference is their size, Wines was bigger than most AFL midfielders in his first season and has used that - Jack has that explosive speed and sidestep which sets him apart as an inside mid - will be interesting to see how he develops compared to Wines.

Agree it looks unlikely he'll catch him given how quickly Wines is developing, but I think Jack could well become an elite player.

I don't think there's much difference in their kicking, Wines can butcher it too.

The difference is their size, Wines was bigger than most AFL midfielders in his first season and has used that - Jack has that explosive speed and sidestep which sets him apart as an inside mid - will be interesting to see how he develops compared to Wines.

Agree it looks unlikely he'll catch him given how quickly Wines is developing, but I think Jack could well become an elite player.
Yeah it's the size for me too. Wines is pretty much the perfect build for an inside mid. In terms of development though Wines has been playing at a much better team, and one that's improved rapidly since he got there. Port bid on Viney with the pick that they ended up using on Wines. If Jack had gone there he might have followed a similar trajectory.

At any rate it doesn't really matter! Though I reckon one of the reasons we went with Toumpas over Wines was because we already had Viney, who we figured was a good enough crashing inside mid to warrant taking some outside class to balance things. Hopefully they end up justifying it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back