Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_27

Rookie
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cavs, Duke
I was just wondering if anyone had any records from when he played in the SANFL, particularly before he played in the VFL, it would be great to see if he was any good or not prior to the VFL.

I was just wondering if anyone had any records from when he played in the SANFL, particularly before he played in the VFL, it would be great to see if he was any good or not prior to the VFL.

I know he played for Central Districts before he went over (in about 1986-87 I think), and maybe for a year after he left Richmond - the club or one of their supporters might know where to get that information. You might get lucky on the safootballachive youtube site and find a Centrals game from his era, and see for yourself.

Don't remember him being dominant, but don't quite remember him as a spud either. Just remember he was huge, possibly the biggest man in the SANFL at the time.

I know he played for Central Districts before he went over (in about 1986-87 I think), and maybe for a year after he left Richmond - the club or one of their supporters might know where to get that information. You might get lucky on the safootballachive youtube site and find a Centrals game from his era, and see for yourself.

Don't remember him being dominant, but don't quite remember him as a spud either. Just remember he was huge, possibly the biggest man in the SANFL at the time.
Alright thanks

What exactly was so "bad" about him, that caused Richmond to get rid of him after just a year? I mean, I know that the draft was a pretty inexact science back then, but you'd think a 203cm, 116kg 22-year-old who kicked 4 goals on debut would be given a bit more time. I understand a bit of homesickness might have been involved, but you'd think they would have done more to get him to stay.

Also, how much time did he actually spend in the ruck for the Tigers? 5 hitouts in 4 games assumes not much. Did they try to turn him into something he's not (maybe trying to find their own Paul Salmon)?

Furthermore, was he actually at Richmond in 1988, or did he stay in SA that year? Drafted at #1 in the 1987 VFL Draft, but didn't debut in the Seniors until Round 5, 1989. Did he play any reserves football at Richmond? If so, does anyone know how he did? Was he someone who couldn't convert reserves form into the seniors, or just no good all round?

These early draft "failures" really fascinate me, simply because there's so little documented about them.

Last edited:
Furthermore, was he actually at Richmond in 1988, or did he stay in SA that year? Drafted at #1 in the 1987 VFL Draft, but didn't debut in the Seniors until Round 5, 1989.

Lounder played for Central in 1988. He finished 2nd in the reserves Magarey Medal in 1987.

Fun fact: he was meant to grow to 215cm but had injections at the age of 16 to halt his growing.

Last edited:
According to the book "The Tigers of Old" by Paul Hogan (1996), Lounder played for Central Districts during 1987 and 1988. His figures were 42 games and 16 goals. He played for Richmond reserves during 1989 and 1990 finishing with 12 games and 26 goals. He was the Richmond reserves top goal kicker for 1989 (24 goals).

Hogan finishes his short biography on Lounder by stating "Richard has not played senior football since leaving Richmond. He remains the heaviest player ever to play for Richmond." His weight is given as 116 kg.

For the record, Brian "Whale" Roberts weight is listed as 113 kg.

Found a couple of his SANFL games from 1988 (severe Mullet warning). He's pretty easy to spot anyway but he's No.24 for Centrals:

According to the book "The Tigers of Old" by Paul Hogan (1996), Lounder played for Central Districts during 1987 and 1988. His figures were 42 games and 16 goals. He played for Richmond reserves during 1989 and 1990 finishing with 12 games and 26 goals. He was the Richmond reserves top goal kicker for 1989 (24 goals).

Hogan finishes his short biography on Lounder by stating "Richard has not played senior football since leaving Richmond. He remains the heaviest player ever to play for Richmond." His weight is given as 116 kg.

For the record, Brian "Whale" Roberts weight is listed as 113 kg.
Mick Nolan according to NRL stats was 194 cm and 124 kgs....

What exactly was so "bad" about him, that caused Richmond to get rid of him after just a year? I mean, I know that the draft was a pretty inexact science back then, but you'd think a 203cm, 116kg 22-year-old who kicked 4 goals on debut would be given a bit more time. I understand a bit of homesickness might have been involved, but you'd think they would have done more to get him to stay.

Also, how much time did he actually spend in the ruck for the Tigers? 5 hitouts in 4 games assumes not much. Did they try to turn him into something he's not (maybe trying to find their own Paul Salmon)?

Furthermore, was he actually at Richmond in 1988, or did he stay in SA that year? Drafted at #1 in the 1987 VFL Draft, but didn't debut in the Seniors until Round 5, 1989. Did he play any reserves football at Richmond? If so, does anyone know how he did? Was he someone who couldn't convert reserves form into the seniors, or just no good all round?

These early draft "failures" really fascinate me, simply because there's so little documented about them.

I remember a description of him as "built like a brick shithouse and about as mobile".

In lower grades, you could get away with that, but at VFL level, standing there, waiting for the ball to drop on your head and muscling guys out of the way when it did just didn't cut it. Without any other strings to his bow (and seemingly an unwillingness/inability to learn others), he was never going to be an VFL player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back