Opinion Brian Lake: Will he play on in 2016?

Will Lake play on in 2015?

• Yes

Votes: 196 86.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 13.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lake reveals finals injury

HAWTHORN defender Brian Lake has revealed he played in the preliminary final and Grand Final against medical advice, after being hospitalised with internal bleeding early in the finals series.

Lake suffered a corked hip against Collingwood in round 23 but felt it worsen late in the third term against Geelong in the qualifying final.

It felt even worse during the last quarter, and Lake told Triple M that he knew something was seriously wrong, lying awake early the following morning.

Tests revealed he had internal bleeding and he underwent surgery to halt it.

Ratten in the frame for Suns coaching job

"I got 100ml of blood drained out of my right hip… straight after the [Geelong] game to relieve some of the pressure," Lake said on Saturday.

"But about 3 o'clock in the morning, I gave the wife a tap on the shoulder and said 'I think you might need to drive me to the hospital'.

"I was in hospital for three days and ended up having an operation – I burst a blood vessel around the around the abdomen, so we had to go in and block that up to stop the bleeding.

"I was able to recover…the doctor actually didn't give a good report on it. He said I probably shouldn't play for the rest of the year - but the club doctor said 'he's just talking crap, that guy'."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-25/lake-reveals-finals-injury
Shiiiiiit. This will go down in Hawthorn folk-lore much like Hodge's ribs in 08.

He's not going to last out the year, ala Glass.

With the addition of Frawley he doesn't really need to. The club will manage him throughout the 2015 season and get him right for the finals again if we make it. I don't think the club expects him to play every game next year. He will likely play about 10-15 games.

With the addition of Frawley he doesn't really need to. We will manage him throughout the 2015 season and get him right for the finals again if we make it. I don't think the club expects him to play every game next year. He will play about 10-15 games.
I don't think his body will hold up for the finals. Maybe if they mid-season rest him. He's not going to be able to spend 4 weeks with a major injury again.

With the addition of Frawley he doesn't really need to. The club will manage him throughout the 2015 season and get him right for the finals again if we make it. I don't think the club expects him to play every game next year. He will likely play about 10-15 games.
If that. I'll be happy with about 5 of his best.

Shiiiiiit. This will go down in Hawthorn folk-lore much like Hodge's ribs in 08.

Lakes injury reads worse than what it is, Hodge's rib issue was also a little overstated back in 08 although not many would of played in the pain he endured. BTW, Lewis was on pain killers in the GF for his corkie and Birchall was on similar meds for his ongoing groin issue he aggravated weeks before. Watch Birchall pull up quickly after some plays in the 3qtr, if it wasn't for Rioli's situation he would've been subbed.

I wondered if there was something still wrong when he pulled up after the chase down tackle on Jack.

Also, bloody great Job by the club to keep this out of the news.
3 days in hospital prior to a GF. That's bloody impressive to keep out of the papers.

Ideally he'd get through 7-10 during the H+A season and then play 3 in the finals.

I reckon he's got that in him.

I don't think it's automatic that Lake's injuries will be necessarily worse than this year's. We shouldn't automatically assume a natural progression. This year could easily have been just an abberation.

It's just as likely that he'll play 20 next year as that he'll play 7.

Last edited:
I think this year has shown his injuries dont matter, by the sound of it if Lake was just a head he would get him self up for the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's automatic that Lake's injuries will be necessarily worse than this year's. We shouldn't automatically assume a natural progression. This year could easily have been just an abberation.

It's just as likely that he'll play 20 next year as that he'll play 7.

Fair call

I think this year has shown his injuries dont matter, by the sound of it if Lake was just a head he would get him self up for the finals.

monty_python_2__limbless_black_knight.jpg

Lake reveals finals injury

HAWTHORN defender Brian Lake has revealed he played in the preliminary final and Grand Final against medical advice, after being hospitalised with internal bleeding early in the finals series.

Lake suffered a corked hip against Collingwood in round 23 but felt it worsen late in the third term against Geelong in the qualifying final.

It felt even worse during the last quarter, and Lake told Triple M that he knew something was seriously wrong, lying awake early the following morning.

Tests revealed he had internal bleeding and he underwent surgery to halt it.

Ratten in the frame for Suns coaching job

"I got 100ml of blood drained out of my right hip… straight after the [Geelong] game to relieve some of the pressure," Lake said on Saturday.

"But about 3 o'clock in the morning, I gave the wife a tap on the shoulder and said 'I think you might need to drive me to the hospital'.

"I was in hospital for three days and ended up having an operation – I burst a blood vessel around the around the abdomen, so we had to go in and block that up to stop the bleeding.

"I was able to recover…the doctor actually didn't give a good report on it. He said I probably shouldn't play for the rest of the year - but the club doctor said 'he's just talking crap, that guy'."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-25/lake-reveals-finals-injury

The Cooney /Essendon advice is a bit yuk though

Was just looking back through the grand finals and almost every premiership team with the possible exception of Collingwood in 2010 has had a quality key position defender in their squad. Gives me great confidence knowing that we have Lake in the mix for 2015 and Frawley for the future.

2014 Brian Lake
2013 Brian Lake
2012 Ted Richards
2011 Matthew Scarlett
2010 Ben Reid
2009 Matthew Scarlett
2008 Trent Croad
2007 Matthew Scarlett
2006 Darren Glass
2005 Leo Barry
2004 Darren Wakelin
2003 Mal Michael
2002 Mal Michael
2001 Mal Michael
2000 Dustin Fletcher
1999 Mick Martyn
1998 Ben Hart
1997 Ben Hart
1996 Mick Martyn
1995 Stephen Silvagni
1994 Glen Jakovich
1993 Dustin Fletcher
1992 Glen Jakovich
1991 Chris Langford

Was just looking back through the grand finals and almost every premiership team with the possible exception of Collingwood in 2010 has had a quality key position defender in their squad. Gives me great confidence knowing that we have Lake in the mix for 2015 and Frawley for the future.

2014 Brian Lake
2013 Brian Lake
2012 Ted Richards
2011 Matthew Scarlett
2010 Ben Reid
2009 Matthew Scarlett
2008 Trent Croad
2007 Matthew Scarlett
2006 Darren Glass
2005 Leo Barry
2004 Darren Wakelin
2003 Mal Michael
2002 Mal Michael
2001 Mal Michael
2000 Dustin Fletcher
1999 Mick Martyn
1998 Ben Hart
1997 Ben Hart
1996 Mick Martyn
1995 Stephen Silvagni
1994 Glen Jakovich
1993 Dustin Fletcher
1992 Glen Jakovich
1991 Chris Langford
Ted Richards = quality?????

Incredible effort to play with that injury in the GF and also to play so well. It makes the feeling of smashing Sydney even more enjoyable. Well done Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back