Pakistan vs Australia (in the UAE)

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well, so would I, I like to see Olympian levels of stonewalling but that's not the skipper's view or the coachesa, they seem to think it's unaustralian or something and quite frankly none of these guys are flexible enough to do it. Rogers has the natural game for it but none of the others do.

we go for the runs because we have to, to be honest. When was the last time Australia blocked out a draw for more than a day? the 80s?

at least our attitude avoids what happened when South Africa pulled out of the world record chase last year (gutless)

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
we go for the runs because we have to, to be honest. When was the last time Australia blocked out a draw for more than a day? the 80s?

at least our attitude avoids what happened when South Africa pulled out of the world record chase last year (gutless)
That's what I mean. We don't have the players to do what SA do from time to time. Even Clarke who has the ability to score big tons likes to feel bat on ball.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle

From what I remember, Philander was fuming out there. He wanted to go for the win.

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
Well, so would I, I like to see Olympian levels of stonewalling but that's not the skipper's view or the coachesa, they seem to think it's unaustralian or something and quite frankly none of these guys are flexible enough to do it. Rogers has the natural game for it but none of the others do.
I know, it's ridiculous. And in fact it's "playing your natural game", "going for the win" and getting all out cheaply that is the easy cop-out. Digging in for the long grind is the tough option.

Lehmann should be getting the team in tonight and asking them the tough question - who is going to be the one to stand up and take it on themselves to bat all day tomorrow and save the match. That's assuming of course that they haven't already thrown away four or five wickets before stumps tonight.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I know, it's ridiculous. And in fact it's "playing your natural game", "going for the win" and getting all out cheaply that is the easy cop-out. Digging in for the long grind is the tough option.

Lehmann should be getting the team in tonight and asking them the tough question - who is going to be the one to stand up and take it on themselves to bat all day tomorrow and save the match. That's assuming of course that they haven't already thrown away four or five wickets before stumps tonight.

Massive assumption

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle

It will be a miracle if they are still there at tea tomorrow with four or five wickets in hand.

Pakistan's attack is nothing special
Yeah and if their opponent was South Africa, you'd back the Proteas to at least hold out for a draw. But they're up against an inexperienced Aussie lineup: as soon as the ball spins, our boys have no idea how to combat it.

Hinkler

Senior List
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Clarke has a bad record in 4th innings (averages 35) which is surprising for a guy who is supposed to be a gun vs spin.
I hear that all the time, yet recently I always see him get out from spin bowling.

Back