Pokerstars pulling out of Australian market

Remove this Banner Ad

The new UK legislation comes into effect on Nov 1st and given they already pulled out of a heap of markets back when this was announced, there is plenty of speculation that Stars might pull out of grey/black markets like Australia and Russia on that same date, November 1st.

Anyone worried?

where else is their .com website allowed to service :drunk:

havent been following, so i'll just be a sheep and say if others are concerned then I'm concerned

Given the amount of ANZPT sats theyve been running they may just be holding out as long as they can to get as many qualifiers in the live events as possible

Concerning though, the 1st/2nd of November will be interesting watching, will be constantly closing and opening pokerstars I think waiting for the bad news

I'm guessing you'll be cashing out your bankroll JuddsABlue just in case?

Interesting thing to bring up, because pokerstars just announced theyre introducing a 'margin' on withdrawls. They didnt say what the margin was, but its been worked out that its 2.5%

So all withdrawls and deposits now get 2.5% chopped off the top in the conversion essentially

So any Australia or Russian that wants to get their BR off 'just in case' are going to get hit when they remove it and then hit again when they re-deposit if nothing happens

Its a bad cash grab by stars

Interesting thing to bring up, because pokerstars just announced theyre introducing a 'margin' on withdrawls. They didnt say what the margin was, but its been worked out that its 2.5%

So all withdrawls and deposits now get 2.5% chopped off the top in the conversion essentially

So any Australia or Russian that wants to get their BR off 'just in case' are going to get hit when they remove it and then hit again when they re-deposit if nothing happens

Its a bad cash grab by stars

Surely they'd have to give notice via email if they were pulling out of the market though to allow people to withdraw their cash and not just do it "just in case?

guess we can all join candy crush to blow our dough.

seriously though, i can't see them pulling from the australian market. the current govt isn't handcuffed to an independent that was hard core against all gambling. they'll just continue in the "grey" area

(Log in to remove this ad.)

guess we can all join candy crush to blow our dough.

seriously though, i can't see them pulling from the australian market. the current govt isn't handcuffed to an independent that was hard core against all gambling. they'll just continue in the "grey" area

Unfortunately it's not about us this time, it's them

Pokerstars have gotten a UK licence which might stop them from offering services to us, it won't be the government saying no it'll be pokerstars having their hand forced by the UK gaming commission

Unfortunately it's not about us this time, it's them

Pokerstars have gotten a UK licence which might stop them from offering services to us, it won't be the government saying no it'll be pokerstars having their hand forced by the UK gaming commission
Forgive my ignorance on what's happening but how is it different to ladbrokes, bet365, paddy power, etc operating here?

Forgive my ignorance on what's happening but how is it different to ladbrokes, bet365, paddy power, etc operating here?

I cant answer with 100% certaintity, but im 99% sure its because there is a law that states specifically online poker cannot be 'offered' to Australians

There is no law that says Australians cant play online poker, only a law that states it cant be offered. The law isnt enforced though which is what the 'grey' area is.

People like ladbrokes etc all would have jumped through the hoops of applying for an Australian licence to offer gaming, something pokerstars hasnt done

The government is very happy for to me to login to my sportsbet account at home and put $1k on a random dog running around the meadows but it needs to protect me from playing the sunday milli

An email on 2p2, this is what they're now sending out when ppl ask about offering games to Australians

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

The changes we are making next week are in order to comply with our offering to UK players. This is not something that impacts our ability to offer services to other jurisdictions (nothing will change next week in that respect).

Thus, we will still be offering real money games to Australian players next week, in the rare event that anything changes we will be proactive in our communication to players.

Regards,

Simon
PokerStars Support Team

in the meantime, along with charging 2.5% vig on currency conversions, pokerstars has increased the rake on cash games, hyper MTTs and STTs and Spin and goes :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back