Ultimate Glory Hawks vs Swans - We take flag number 12 - our greatest flag - The Hard Way.

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to double like Echols post because it wasn't about not being rated, it was wanting to read about our own clubs chances, the journey, the match ups, where it can and can't be won. I did think the hawks were disrespected and it was undeserved and it's been that way for two consecutive years.
Do I think we are a great team - of course we are
Did I think we were going to win - yes I did
But I wanted to read and hear about it in the media
After the game it then went to Sydney copping a trading ban, beams and collingwood, the doggies, ASADA - exactly the same as last year. I have savoured every moment and watched it endlessly - while I type I'm listening to the abc commentary - but selfishly I wanted that experience in the media to last a little longer than 24 hrs.
Even now I laugh - B2B premiers and we aren't even favourites for next year :drunk:

Listening to the ABC - I'm loving the closet loving hawk in Maclure.
Tadgh Kennelly is an appalling comments man and Bucks is great - really insightful.
Gerard is a cats man through and through and you can hear the disappointment :D

Listening to the ABC - I'm loving the closet loving hawk in Maclure.
Tadgh Kennelly is an appalling comments man and Bucks is great - really insightful.
Gerard is a cats man through and through and you can hear the disappointment :D
I listened to the ABC call on the Sunday after the game. Kennelly's comments had all the hallmarks of a wide-eyed Swans supporter not believing what he is watching. Whatley calls the game almost through gritted teeth at points & at others with amazement.

I've never been a Maclure fan, but his comments were spot on that day.

I listened to the ABC call on the Sunday after the game. Kennelly's comments had all the hallmarks of a wide-eyed Swans supporter not believing what he is watching. Whatley calls the game almost through gritted teeth at points & at others with amazement.

I've never been a Maclure fan, but his comments were spot on that day.
Maclure backed us numerous times throughout the year when others jumped off. Notably, he would talk about how Hawthorn were a brilliant side, and how he was a bit bewildered by the amount of people who kept getting excited by other sides.

Maclure backed us numerous times throughout the year when others jumped off. Notably, he would talk about how Hawthorn were a brilliant side, and how he was a bit bewildered by the amount of people who kept getting excited by other sides.
Yes, and IIRC he did exactly the same last year.

Maclure was one of the few who tipped us. He was also one of the even fewer who tipped us to win comfortably.

He said we'd choke in 2012 and he said we wouldn't let 2013 go. He's the only one whose opinion I really take anything away from now.

Yes, and IIRC he did exactly the same last year.

Was about to post the same thing, he has been a fan for awhile. He's also a fan of Hawthorn as a club. Waxed lyrical some time back after he went to Jordan Lewis' engagement party and was impressed with how all the players conducted themselves etc. etc. and said then that we were something special as a club not only on the football field. Maclure doesn't hand out praise lightly so the fact that he is so complimentary of us speaks volumes IMO.

Last edited:
Never write off Hawthorn! :thumbsu:
"You wouldn't see a better football side than this one... they are never beaten..."

He wasn't far wrong that 1989 side was one the best sides to ever take the field.
A relentness mean machine who would intimidate other teams (physically and skillfully) into submission.

Everyone talks about the Essendon 2000 side and Possibly Geelong 2007 but i dare say they would struggled against the brilliance that was the 89 side.

Did anyone ask Roosy who his son picked as the Norm Smith Medallist? No doubt he didn't have Hodge in the Top 5...

I heard Roosy picked Teddy, Joshy and Adammy.

If he had thought about it, he would have picked Lukey Hodgey.

Although the positives of this game are still fresh and so bloody good to reminisce about, every time I think about the week preceding the game I get grumpy.

I don't think Grand finalists should have to contend with such one sided media.

For the second year in a row, at a time when football followers should be able to take all the footy media in that is available to them, I found myself turning off programs, switching radio stations, closing news articles and all because I did not find it at all enjoyable to read, hear or see how Hawthorn were going to struggle against their opponent.

I found it downright disrespectful, and I think I will always have a bad taste in my mouth when reminded of the lead up to both GF's.

If only the AFL affiliated media stuck to the good stories leading into the game, and forgot about predicting an outcome.

2012 was a bit like that from memory, but skewed towards us.

I liked the underdog tag, it made it even sweeter when we completely pantsed them on the day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NOTHING ruins my enjoyment of hawthorns glory, nothing. Not biased media coverage, not jealous morons trying desperately to devalue our success on Bigfooty. I just laugh, crack another cold one in toast to the magnificent hawks, and watch another hawk replay.

It's funny how no matter how many times I watch the 2014 Grand Final it never becomes dull, boring or even predictable!!!....Other GF'S you watch maybe 2 or 3 times & it's all so ho-hum thereafter, even some 10 years later....But this one just has some magical quality about it that keeps drawing you back to it time & again, much like say a painting of the Mona Lisa does....That's what makes this one a true Master-piece to my mind, it just never gets boring!

The Hard Way. Well good fortune came to me today. Over at Monash getting some cash, decided to browse the second hand books on offer. There it was a copy of the the very same. I did not look too carefully and handed over the $40 without question. Always wanted to read it, always Hawthorn!

It's a great read. I read it when it came out all those years ago.
I recently snapped up ONE FOR ALL leather bound and signed edition for $50 off HAWKS NEST. I think it was at some stage selling for $300. Prized possession of mine.

Although the positives of this game are still fresh and so bloody good to reminisce about, every time I think about the week preceding the game I get grumpy.

I don't think Grand finalists should have to contend with such one sided media.

For the second year in a row, at a time when football followers should be able to take all the footy media in that is available to them, I found myself turning off programs, switching radio stations, closing news articles and all because I did not find it at all enjoyable to read, hear or see how Hawthorn were going to struggle against their opponent.

I found it downright disrespectful, and I think I will always have a bad taste in my mouth when reminded of the lead up to both GF's.

If only the AFL affiliated media stuck to the good stories leading into the game, and forgot about predicting an outcome.

I didn't give a s**t this year because I knew in my heart we were winning.

Calm and amused. I knew we were the best team.

It's funny how no matter how many times I watch the 2014 Grand Final it never becomes dull, boring or even predictable!!!....Other GF'S you watch maybe 2 or 3 times & it's all so ho-hum thereafter, even some 10 years later....But this one just has some magical quality about it that keeps drawing you back to it time & again, much like say a painting of the Mona Lisa does....That's what makes this one a true Master-piece to my mind, it just never gets boring!

That game from the Hawks was total football. It's a watch and learn game.

Goodness me, I just read that Lake was hospitalised for three days with bleeding in the stomach.He took a risk..

HAWTHORN defender Brian Lake has revealed he played in the preliminary final and Grand Final against medical advice, after being hospitalised with internal bleeding early in the finals series.

Lake suffered a corked hip against Collingwood in round 23 but felt it worsen late in the third term against Geelong in the qualifying final.

It felt even worse during the last quarter, and Lake told Triple M that he knew something was seriously wrong, lying awake early the following morning.

Tests revealed he had internal bleeding and he underwent surgery to halt it.

Ratten in the frame for Suns coaching job

"I got 100ml of blood drained out of my right hip… straight after the [Geelong] game to relieve some of the pressure," Lake said on Saturday.

"But about 3 o'clock in the morning, I gave the wife a tap on the shoulder and said 'I think you might need to drive me to the hospital'.

"I was in hospital for three days and ended up having an operation – I burst a blood vessel around the abdomen, so we had to go in and block that up to stop the bleeding.

"I was able to recover…the doctor actually didn't give a good report on it. He said I probably shouldn't play for the rest of the year - but the club doctor said 'he's just talking crap, that guy'."

Lake was sensational in the Grand Final, collecting 20 disposals and taking seven marks.

The former Western Bulldogs defender has been a lucky charm for his new club since moving in 2012, winning two premierships and a Norm Smith Medal with the Hawks.

His ex-teammate and good friend Adam Cooney recently followed suit, leaving the Bulldogs to join Essendon.

Lake said Cooney rang him after the season to discuss his options and asked for advice.

"He gave me a call and just asked for my advice on the options he had in front of him and of what [I thought] he should do," Lake said.

"My advice was, you go into that bigger club in Essendon and you play in a lot of bigger games."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back