Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

I did the Bridge to Brisbane for the first time this morning.

10km in 41:49 at 4:10 minutes/km which is my new PB for the distance. I also set a new 5km PB over the first half: 20:25 is the official time for the event but I recorded 19:31 on Strava.

Now to see about the half marathon at Wynnum in a fortnight. I'm undecided at this point.

Impressive time.

Now to see about the half marathon at Wynnum in a fortnight. I'm undecided at this point.

That's the next event I'm entered in, main training event (as opposed to training run) for Melbourne. Just have to make sure I book my way down. Strange though that this is a Saturday event, something I won't get used to.

That's the next event I'm entered in, main training event (as opposed to training run) for Melbourne. Just have to make sure I book my way down. Strange though that this is a Saturday event, something I won't get used to.
And an evening event. Unfortunately it looks like circumstances will conspire against me and I won't be there.

It's a shame because I think the twilight series is a great concept and a good first up half-marathon to do.

Hard to believe Melbourne Marathon is THIS weekend. Just one last light training run up here this morning, and perhaps a light jog in Melbourne to go before the main event. Interestingly this will be the first time I'm going to take advantage of the Personal Drink stations, I plan to leave a drink at station 2 (27.5km) so hopefully this may help me get under 4 hours.

Haven't run for 10 years since giving footy away after 2 ACL's. Joined a start running group 6 weeks ago with a mixed bag of ages & fitness levels. I'm no longer running 4 minute km's like the old days but God it's addictive. Through interval training we had now built up to 10kms 3 times per week. Have lost 4 kg's & never felt better. Knee even feels fantastic!

The trouble began almost as soon as Ethiopian marathon legend and Olympic gold medallist Haile Gebrselassie dropped the starter's flag when a team of burly security guards refused to get out of the way, tripping over many of the elite runners who had been selected for pole position.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/brother-can-you-spare-some-rupees-marathon-runners-lost-forced-to-beg-for-fare-to-finish-line-20141025-11bn99.html#ixzz3H9yMPvPd

Lol.

Classic!

Have been loving the running only to hurt my groin playing cricket with the kids yesterday. Pissed off.

Any super remedies out there? Not a major strain just sore. Ice & rest l presume.

Have been loving the running only to hurt my groin playing cricket with the kids yesterday. Pissed off.

Any super remedies out there? Not a major strain just sore. Ice & rest l presume.

Try a product called fisiocrem. Read the ingredients and you think it's a gimmick, but for some reason it works whenever I get calf or achilles pain.

My focus is strength training but I've got my 2km time down to comfortably under 8 mins after starting in the high 9's. Building up to running a 5km. I hated it at first, now I totally get the appeal of running.

Last edited:
This time next week I'm lucky enough to score a spot in Point to Pinnacle, going up Mt Wellington. Only about 2000 or so get in on a first come first served basis, and even the waiting list is sold out. Done some training up a mountain locally which is about a quarter of the distance but just under half the elevation so at least I have some preparation for it. Weather the big concern, going from hot and humid to cool and breezy.

Havannah Brown looked pretty hot this morning at City to Sea. Her Sets were very short though and not many speakers considering how heavily they advertised her.

I ran really well for me so I'm pumped! Although I'm pretty sure when I plug my phone in the loss of elevation will be severe.

Anyone planning to do the Point to Pinnacle in Hobart in the future should remember the time of 2:22:00. No that's not my time (mine was 2:21:08, about 20 minutes quicker than anticipated) but that was the time a 3 time Premiership Coach set in 2007 as I discovered at the pre event dinner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How's everyone's running been?

I really faded/lost interest in the back half of last year and got nowhere near my annual goal of 1,000kms (end with 610).

Making a concerted effort to pick up my game again so far this year and really enjoying it so far too. Have logged 60+kms so far.

I use a garmin watch but have started logging my runs on strava too if anyone is interested in following/being followed and sharing our running journeys.

How's everyone's running been?

I really faded/lost interest in the back half of last year and got nowhere near my annual goal of 1,000kms (end with 610).

Making a concerted effort to pick up my game again so far this year and really enjoying it so far too. Have logged 60+kms so far.

I use a garmin watch but have started logging my runs on strava too if anyone is interested in following/being followed and sharing our running journeys.

Was running almost daily before christmas but I've been busy with all the shenanigans that go along with it along with work returning. Will be hitting it up again within the next week.

Loving my running at the moment. Started after a 10 year layoff as posted in a previous post. I'm sure my times aren't anything super to most of you blokes but running about 4 times per week up to 10kms a session. Use a TomTom sports watch. Best thing ever. Love racing the clock to push myself each time. Do you guys listen to music whilst running? I'm quite happy switching off.

Do you guys listen to music whilst running? I'm quite happy switching off.

Yeah I do. Have lots of live Metallica gigs which I love to put on shuffle as I run. Especially longer runs. Up to 5km I'm happy to leave the music off though.

i got over 1800ks last year including my first marathon which was please with

got my pb for 5, 10, half and full marathon over the year

but im pretty average pace so that isnt saying much

this year i will try to increase bike riding and lower running a little.

Found a masters athletics group at the track for like 3 bucks a week do a few field events think will be fun, went last week, going tonight only have to be 30 or over which is good

Do you guys listen to music whilst running? I'm quite happy switching off.

During races I turn the tunes off, don't mind the odd chat with like minded warriors. Tried doing the same in training and found I couldn't replicate my form.

Speaking of races it's going to be a long year with 5 marathons planned (Canberra, Gold Coast, Perth City to Surf, Melbourne, Auckland). The last 2 being 3 weeks apart will be tricky but motivation won't be, for Auckland will be the first overseas trip. There's also 3 half marathons (Twilight St.Lucia, local event, either Sydney or Twilight Wynnum which is stupidly now on a Sunday) plus the City2Surf (RED Group) and City2South 14km.

anyone do much running on the track, how do you find times compare?

my 5k pb is only 21:30 out on park run i think from memory and i can usually get from there to say 22:50 obviously not super quick its just a hobby

but the track ive started doing a little of i find for the 5k its like 23:30-23:50 range and found it hard to do much better in the 2 goes.

I haven't run on a track since St.John's College 1997 High School Athletics carnival in Darwin. We had 11 guys in our house for the age group, and 10 spots for the 100m (one of those actually made the race for the fastest 8 in the entire school), so I decided not to nominate for that, concentrating on the 400 and 800.

Just did my first 5km Parkrun. Nice little event that I'll keep going to as often as possible.

Down at Inverloch is my local. Managed my best 5km time too with 21.43 (Have never really had a crack at 5km events though so hopefully I can take a little off this as I participate in a few more of these).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back