Best Key Forward Duo

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gunston 54 goals, 21 games = 2.57 goals per game
Tippett 29 goals, 12 games = 2.41 goals per game

Goals kicked over the last three years
Gunston 39,46,54*
Tippett 39,35,29

Gunston is five and 1/2 years younger then Tippett.

As a combination Roughead and Gunston work better then Franklin and Tippett.
If Buddy and Tippet played for Hawthorn they kick 200 goals between them.

Best duos for each club based on goals kicked for the 2014 season:

Roughead/Gunston - 133
Franklin/Tippett - 113
Kennedy/Darling - 100
Schulz/Westhoff - 95
Riewoldt/Vickery - 84
Hawkins/Walker - 79
Petrie/Black - 76
Jenkins/Walker - 74
Lynch/Dixon - 70
Riewoldt/Stanley - 67
Crameri/Stringer - 63
Cloke/White - 59
Pavlich/Mayne - 59
Waite/Henderson - 57
Daniher/Carlisle - 55
Cameron/Patton - 54
Dawes/Frawley - 35
Brown/Merrett - 33

Best duos for each club based on goals kicked for the 2014 season:

Roughead/Gunston - 133
Franklin/Tippett - 113
Kennedy/Darling - 100
Schulz/Westhoff - 95
Riewoldt/Vickery - 84
Hawkins/Walker - 79
Petrie/Black - 76
Jenkins/Walker - 74
Lynch/Dixon - 70
Riewoldt/Stanley - 67
Crameri/Stringer - 63
Cloke/White - 59
Pavlich/Mayne - 59
Waite/Henderson - 57
Daniher/Carlisle - 55
Cameron/Patton - 54
Dawes/Frawley - 35
Brown/Merrett - 33
Well that settles it.

The Hawks win yet again.

Total goals isn't really useful when one or both KFs get injured suspended.

Gunston and Roughead both missed 2 games.
Franklin missed 3 and Tippett missed 11.

If you take there averages from this year and add it on for those missed games.

Gunston (2.5 x 2 = 5) and Roughed (3.2 x 2 = 6) = 144 goals.
Franklin (3.5 x 3 = 10) and Tippett (2.4 x 11 = 26) = 149 goals.

Not 100% accurate but shows that it isn't as big a gap as 20 goals.

Petrie and Ben Brown only played in 11 games together but our forward line played much better with this combination.

They kicked 49 between them at an average of 4.45.

compared to Petrie and Black kicking 76 between them (over 25 games) at an average of 3.04

If Petrie and Brown can continue this average and play 22 games together they'll kick 97.9 goals. Good enough for a top 5 finish. Whether this trend continues or not is obviously an unknown.

Petrie and Ben Brown only played in 11 games together but our forward line played much better with this combination.

They kicked 49 between them at an average of 4.45.

compared to Petrie and Black kicking 76 between them (over 25 games) at an average of 3.04

If Petrie and Brown can continue this average and play 22 games together they'll kick 97.9 goals. Good enough for a top 5 finish. Whether this trend continues or not is obviously an unknown.
Please don't stink this thread up by mentioning spuds like Petrie or Brown.

Ben+Brown+AFL+Draft+Combine+bTjOXQ0kqqpl.jpg

Ben Brown is a gun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say that Roughead and Gunston work better as a duo than Buddy and Tippet. Buddy is individually the best player out of the four, no doubt, but I think Buddy and Tippet essentially act as two isolated targets whereas Roughead and Gunston are part of a more cohesive unit. That might be helped by having more dangerous and talented small forwards to play off of, but as a proven duo, Roughead and Gunston get the nod.

I'd still take Buddy and Tippet over Rough and Gunston, but that's more a compliment to Franklin's 2014 than anything. If I'm a head coach, I'm more worried about how to stop Tippet and Franklin than I am Roughead and Gunston. The Hawks forward line on the whole performs better, and it's an excellent cohesive unit, but none of those guys poses the same challenge that Franklin does.

I remember watching a Richmond vs Sydney game, Rance killed Franklin, literally he beat him in every one on one contest, even the commentators were going on about how much Rance was dominating the one on one battle, yet Franklin still somehow finished with 4 goals. When a player is that good he can be towelled up every time the ball goes to him, and still kick 4 goals, you can't afford to let him go for a moment because he will punish you.

Poll needs more Hawkins/Clark ;)

It really is a 2 horse race between Hawthorn and Sydney and it's very hard to split. I guess as an opposition supporter I fear the Franklin/Tippett combination slightly more - largely due to Franklin - so I would give it to them.

I'd still take Buddy and Tippet over Rough and Gunston, but that's more a compliment to Franklin's 2014 than anything. If I'm a head coach, I'm more worried about how to stop Tippet and Franklin than I am Roughead and Gunston. The Hawks forward line on the whole performs better, and it's an excellent cohesive unit, but none of those guys poses the same challenge that Franklin does.

I remember watching a Richmond vs Sydney game, Rance killed Franklin, literally he beat him in every one on one contest, even the commentators were going on about how much Rance was dominating the one on one battle, yet Franklin still somehow finished with 4 goals. When a player is that good he can be towelled up every time the ball goes to him, and still kick 4 goals, you can't afford to let him go for a moment because he will punish you.
Was that the same game where the commentators were saying that Rance was very lucky to not be giving away free kicks because Buddy was being scragged all night?

Was that the same game where the commentators were saying that Rance was very lucky to not be giving away free kicks because Buddy was being scragged all night?
Yep thats the one. Killed him in it. The fact he played on the edge is irrelevant, if the 3 umpires dont call you on it, thats not the defenders problem. I saw Richo cop the same treatment from 3 opponents every week, people still gave the defenders credit. Silvagni is considered one of the GOAT playing like that.

Yep thats the one. Killed him in it. The fact he played on the edge is irrelevant, if the 3 umpires dont call you on it, thats not the defenders problem. I saw Richo cop the same treatment from 3 opponents every week, people still gave the defenders credit. Silvagni is considered one of the GOAT playing like that.
Also the same game where Franklin had 17 possessions and 4 goals to Rances 16 possessions. Franklin had 9 coaches association votes that night. Yet Rance killed him in that game

Also the same game where Franklin had 17 possessions and 4 goals to Rances 16 possessions. Franklin had 9 coaches association votes that night. Yet Rance killed him in that game
EXACTLY.
did you even read my earlier post? Franklin is that good he can be dominated all night in the one on one battles and still have a huge impact on the game. You are essentially confirming my reason as to why I would take him and a decent player over the Hawks duo. He is a rare talent.

EXACTLY.
did you even read my earlier post? Franklin is that good he can be dominated all night in the one on one battles and still have a huge impact on the game. You are essentially confirming my reason as to why I would take him and a decent player over the Hawks duo. He is a rare talent.
No, I'm disputing the fact that Rance killed/dominated Franklin that night

Back