Mega Thread Oh yeah ... did you know there are 17 other teams? - General AFL discussion #9 - Blues posters only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on guys, no need to crack it because you don't agree with each other.

For those that can afford to go it will be a bit of a novelty, something a bit different. For those who can't go then it's a bit of a kick in the teeth...a melbourne based club playing a melbourne based team in another country...riiight.
Surely everyone can see the two sides to this.

I can see both sides MEB_, no problems with that but the concerns i have are shared by many Carlton members and supporters, being told you are being precious or soft over the view you hold isn't really acceptable to me. Just because it isn't an issue to a certain group of people doesn't mean it's not a valid concern to a great number of others.

There is a demographic amongst our core supporters who are progressively having the game put out of their reach.

If i was young, single, no kids etc i'd probably find it exciting too but we aren't all in the same boat.

I can see both sides MEB_, no problems with that but the concerns i have are shared by many Carlton supporters, being told you are being precious or soft over the view you hold isn't really acceptable to me.

There is a demographic amongst our long term core supporters who are progressively having the game put out of their reach.

If i was young, single, no kids etc i'd probably find it exciting too but we aren't all in the same boat.

I can see both sides MEB_, no problems with that but the concerns i have are shared by many Carlton members and supporters, being told you are being precious or soft over the view you hold isn't really acceptable to me. Just because it isn't an issue to a certain group of people doesn't mean it's not a valid concern to a great number of others.

There is a demographic amongst our core supporters who are progressively having the game put out of their reach.

I understand, I really do. I normally take my saints supporting nephew to our game every year but we'll miss out on that next year. It is a lot to expect of supporters and I worry that the AFL will alienate members and supporters from our club/city/country in an attempt to grow the game.

Personally I think the whole NZ thing is bloody ridiculous, who cares if its anzac day, queens birthday or just a normal saturday, its futile, do you think the kiwis giv etwo hoots, lets spread game to NZ, well piss off, I don't want our games in bloody New Zealand, WTF.

AFL have lost the plot.

Hey I've got an idea, lets play Richmond round 1 in Mongolia, see the sights of Ulan Bator,

You lot are a bit precious. Try living interstate where you get to see one (or 2 games if you're lucky) game a year. It's not like you get a chance to see them 16 other times next season.

Could always be worse ehh.

Well not precious we just DON'T agree with you

That doesn't mean a large portion of our supporter base stops following us.

What happens when we play a game in Perth? Head down to a pub/club/rsl/neighbour's etc. to watch it.
The resourceful among our supporters will always find a way to watch our games.

I can remember back in 1995 dragging my family to the old Gabba Social Club on a Friday night to watch our ill-fated game against Sydney. Why did I have to go to the Gabba Social Club to watch the game? In those days Channel 7 didn't show the Friday night games in Brisbane however Prime broadcast the games on the Gold Coast & the Gabba Social Club were able to link to Prime to show these Friday night games.

Again I reiterate, the football landscape for supporters in all parts of Australia is so much better now than it ever has been. Sometimes I think some people forget that the AFL competition is not a Victorian competition, it is a national competition trying to maximise its exposure in a very competitive market.

No need to be rude to me, I'm explaining myself to someone who quoted me.

I'm fortunate enough that I'm in a position to go, but of course I would prefer that the game be played here like it always has been and always should be.

Thank you for your reasonable and respectful response, the only part i didn't like was that you quoted my double quoting which i wasn't quick enough to edit:D It's so difficult being a technology dodo at times:$

I can remember back in 1995 dragging my family to the old Gabba Social Club on a Friday night to watch our ill-fated game against Sydney. Why did I have to go to the Gabba Social Club to watch the game? In those days Channel 7 didn't show the Friday night games in Brisbane however Prime broadcast the games on the Gold Coast & the Gabba Social Club were able to link to Prime to show these Friday night games.

Again I reiterate, the football landscape for supporters in all parts of Australia is so much better now than it ever has been. Sometimes I think some people forget that the AFL competition is not a Victorian competition, it is a national competition trying to maximise its exposure in a very competitive market.

I understand your opinion and do not totally disagree but playing a game between 2 Victorian clubs in NZ does nothing to enhance the national competition.

It's got not a thing to do with being resourceful, when it's made impossible for you to do so it's just plain impossible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's got not a thing to do with being resourceful, when it's made impossible for you to do so it's just plain impossible.
Every week there are Carlton supporters who miss watching our games for various reasons. Whether it be those who live interstate, those who have families & can't attend an awkwardly scheduled game, those who have to work in this 24/7 world etc. At the end of the day though, more Carlton supporters are able to watch the game now than at any other time in the game's history. That has to be a good thing for our club.

Every week there are Carlton supporters who miss watching our games for various reasons. Whether it be those who live interstate, those who have families & can't attend an awkwardly scheduled game, those who have to work in this 24/7 world etc. At the end of the day though, more Carlton supporters are able to watch the game now than at any other time in the game's history. That has to be a good thing for our club.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with the bolded part ( less are able to attend, and many aren't able to watch games on TV if they aren't on free to air) but i am going to step out of this conversation and retreat to my normal rarely heard mode, we aren't going to agree and that's fine :D I just don't think there's any call to dismiss people's concerns which are valid.

You guys had a rough night ? Try being a Melbourne City fan at Etihad Stadium tonight .. My worst experience at a live sporting event since Australia lost to Iran at the WC Qualifier in 1997. I wish i could somehow erase tonight's debacle from my mind forever ..

You guys had a rough night ? Try being a Melbourne City fan at Etihad Stadium tonight .. My worst experience at a live sporting event since Australia lost to Iran at the WC Qualifier in 1997. I wish i could somehow erase tonight's debacle from my mind forever ..

You should have been at Adelaide Oval for the Power game in round 22.

You should have been at Adelaide Oval for the Power game in round 22.

Leaving the stadium and tram trip home was probably worse then the game itself ... Anyhow onwards and upwards, looking forward to next's weeks game surprisingly enough:)

I had a mate genuinely ask me tonight why I wasn't watching the "Melbourne derby"

About the NZ game, it's all just part of the move the saints will have to make to Wellington.

They need a gimmick and a larger club to attract a crowd at first (Collingwood and Essendon already play at MCG pm Anzac day obviously).

I'm not too fussed we haven't sold our home game and the AFL want to reduce the amount of Victorian clubs.

Imo it's just a matter of time before they relocate the saints to NZ and merge the Bulldogs with gws for the greater Western bulldogs and I assume someone will merge with the Suns too.

Edit; point being it's not a useless gimmick game for the AFL it's laying ground work to see if a NZ team can work. I didn't read back to see if anyone had raised this point.

Relax, peeps.

Once WADA throw the book at the AFL, *Essendon will need to relocate somewhere. Wellington is as good as an expansion city as any.

The sacrifice of us playing 1 preparatory away game. Perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back