List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would you photoshop in an average footballer like Tippett?

The alternative team at the bottom of the article is even more bizarre. Freo is represented by 5 players. But why on earth would Melbourne be any more culpable for missing Neale and Sutcliffe than any other team - they were late picks so everybody missed them. Very strange.

The alternative team at the bottom of the article is even more bizarre. Freo is represented by 5 players. But why on earth would Melbourne be any more culpable for missing Neale and Sutcliffe than any other team - they were late picks so everybody missed them. Very strange.
Think you may have missed the point of the article. All those named were picked in the round immediately after Melbourne had dud picks. Bit like us picking Pitt instead of Darling kinda thing!
But the article (by naming so many of our players) was actually a pat on the back for our list managers. And that lineup didn't even include players like Barlow and Sandi that we nabbed as rookies!
Reckon none of the stuff-ups in their drafting is anything that wasn't noted at the very time they named some of the nuffies. Eyebrows were raised and the average footy follower was left shaking their heads time and time again in the years they overlooked gems like Pav, Franklin, Natainui (though the jury is still out on the flying lampshade IMO).
Very sorry tale of incompetence that is quite in keeping with that mob's recent history!

I agree surely you can only look at the guys taken with the next few picks, even in the early rounds. Nine teams should have taken Dangerfield in hindsight but the two picks after Cale Morton was jarrad Grant and David Myers.

Have had another look at Tyler Keitel. Seems to have great vision and awareness for a player of about 196cm. Also offers some great "bounce" out of defence. Some of his stepping work is almost Johnno-esque.

Fingers crossed he lasts to our second pick, because I doubt we'll take him that early, but really looks a player.

Have had another look at Tyler Keitel. Seems to have great vision and awareness for a player of about 196cm. Also offers some great "bounce" out of defence. Some of his stepping work is almost Johnno-esque.

Fingers crossed he lasts to our second pick, because I doubt we'll take him that early, but really looks a player.

I agree. From different articles I've read, he seems to be hard working and prepares well.

We need to get value for our first pick and if that means going early for what we need then I say go for it and get him .
"He who hesitates is lost "

We need to get value for our first pick and if that means going early for what we need then I say go for it and get him .
"He who hesitates is lost "

Drafting for Value vs Need are different strategies. Our 'Best available' strategy is going for value. Value is getting a Suttcliffe at pick 71 when the club rated him top 25 - not going for need and pulling the trigger early because we want to lock someone away and are happy to pay above market value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely rate Durdin over Keitel, but if Durdin is gone by our first, I reckon the marginal benefit of the KPPs in between (Goddard, etc.) is insufficient to justify a 1st rounder on, provided we can grab Keitel with our 2nd. If Durdin not available, I'd be happy with a Lamb or de Goey with our first, followed by Keitel.

That said, to presume Keitel will be there with our 2nd is a little risky...

[P.S. It's worth noting that drafting Keitel and Durdin literally gives us Tyler Durdin!]

Definitely rate Durdin over Keitel, but if Durdin is gone by our first, I reckon the marginal benefit of the KPPs in between (Goddard, etc.) is insufficient to justify a 1st rounder on, provided we can grab Keitel with our 2nd. If Durdin not available, I'd be happy with a Lamb or de Goey with our first, followed by Keitel.

That said, to presume Keitel will be there with our 2nd is a little risky...

[P.S. It's worth noting that drafting Keitel and Durdin literally gives us Tyler Durdin!]
The first rule about drafting Tyler and Durdin is to not talk about drafting Tyler and Durdin.

If Durdin s gone then I would like to see us get Goddard. If they are both gone then yes I think we should give the KPP a miss until the second round. I would love to see us grab Cockatoo with our first if there is no KPP available.

If he slides to 13, then we will take the risk. We don't have much to worry about.
There is absolutely no chance of him lasting to our pick. Also I just watched Liam Duggans highlights and he looks very impressive. would turn into a very good wingman or backflanker IMO. If there was no KPP at our pikc I would be very happy with him.

So McCartin returning to Melbourne after two years (after reading the article would be huge chance) would be worth the risk but Josh Simpson is a wasted pick?

With his diabetes it would be a risk for all non vic clubs to take him (Jamie Cripps returned home promptly) and usually im very critical of Vic Metro returning home but could understand in this case. Even GWS would be very wary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back