The Dale Thomas trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Started to get his mojo back in the last few weeks of the year, anyway the Pies will be fine they have Beams.....Aahhh * it.

Anyway good too see GE throw a hand grenade then sit on the sidelines as usual. Who's next?

Struggling to see the point of this thread unless Daisy has suffered a career ending injury

He's got 3 years and is still young

People called buddy at the swans a disaster early and he came good

Then start a Varcoe v Betts or Thomas thread.

Thread has nothing to do with Betts, but we see you're stIll hurting at losing Thomas to Carlton.

I said you should have matched Betts offer and not go after Thomas.

Luke Ball looked absolutely cooked when he went to the Pies. Couldn't kick over a jam jar. After a shizen first year, he got his body right and was an integral member of their Premiership team.

Daisy came off a horrid run of injuries. Was terrible at the start of the year, but really got rolling from about the half way mark of the year. Hopefully he'll have a good pre-season and remain injury free for a few years. If he can get back to something approaching his best then we'll have broken even at the least.

Not sure his output is really too relevant, I always thought Daisy was a big fan favourite among Collingwood fans.

Then he cut his hair and became crap.

Luke Ball looked absolutely cooked when he went to the Pies. Couldn't kick over a jam jar. After a shizen first year, he got his body right and was an integral member of their Premiership team.

Daisy came off a horrid run of injuries. Was terrible at the start of the year, but really got rolling from about the half way mark of the year. Hopefully he'll have a good pre-season and remain injury free for a few years. If he can get back to something approaching his best then we'll have broken even at the least.
Big difference Ball was a contested ball winner, Thomas is just an outside runner who is now too slow to even do that. He's just a B grade midfielder now. Thinking he's worth more than 600k or whatever he's on is just an acceptance of mediocrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might want to re-check your history, there. Ball took about 4 or 5 weeks to get going at the Pies, played fantastically after that and was an integral part of a flag in his first year. So, pretty similar to Daisy, then.

I'd love to see Daisy get his mojo back. As a Pies fan, he was just wonderful to watch. His intensity and the way he did everything at 100%, yet still managed to lift for the big occasion or when the team needed a spark, both offensively and defensively. However, I think that he went to the wrong team. I can't see his body allowing him to be a consistent week to week gun, like Carlton need. He's someone who should be getting through the season and then lifting for big occasions.

Why is it an issue now? Has there been some development? If not it's a bit early to call it a disaster.
He was playing OK as the season went on from memory, though fitness issues are not quite solved yet.

Certainly not a disaster given Thomas is on the park for them, albeit playing at a level on par with a $350k per season player.

I don't think there's many out there who were expecting him to play any better, ie most knew from the start that $700k was big overs.

I can understand the logic in letting Betts walk and paying Daisy. Assuming he passed the medical he's worth the risk.

What I dont get is letting Betts walk, then turfing Jeffy for peanuts because he didn't stand up as the #1 small forward immediately.

Firstly, you kind of hope to open a thread like this and see that the OP has actually put some thought into it, rather than leave one line of bait and leave it for others to do the dirty work. Calling it a trade kind of just highlights how much thought went into it.

Secondly, Thomas was never expected to perform well for the season. We were hopeful of him playing half the games and working his way back to somewhere near his best from 2015 onwards. He played some better footy at the end of the years. On track so far.

Thirdly, comparing Thomas and Betts is silly. A small forward vs a midfielder who can also play forward or back. They don't fill the same hole.

Fourthly, you can't take Betts' 2014 output and suggest he should have been paid for that level of football before he had actually played it. After 2013, he wasn't worth it and did not fill the roles that we recruited Thomas for.

The two players should not be talked about in the same conversation. They aren't relevant to each other.

What a surprise it's mainly Collingwood supporters saying the deal was terrible. :rolleyes: Revisit in twelve months.

I think it shows the Carlton list manager and coach had no idea where their list was at, but that's just my opinion

I found the OP confusing as there never was a Dale Thomas "trade"o_O

If you want to open any sort of serious dialogue you should be asking the question in terms of him being a free agent which didn't require a trade.

A) it wasn't a trade, it was free agency.
B) we got pick 11 out of it
C) we traded it for pick 6
D) we drafted Matt Scharenberg
E) he missed the whole year due to injury, then recovered and got injured again.
F) close thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back