Toast All things Paul Roos + Coaching: McCartney joins coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats on getting Macca for development coach. If there is one thing he is amazing at, it's developing young players. You guys have a poor history of drafting and player development. With Macca in, I reckon that's a thing of the past. Turning Bartel and Ablett into stars at Geelong, then what looks like creating a bunch of future stars in Libba, Macrae, Bontempelli and Stringer at the dogs, it can't all be a fluke.

I thought the young guys loved him, but the old guys didn't?
Had a bit of an incident with Macrae though. Apparently Jack wasn't too pleased when he dropped him to sub and said that he wasn't working hard enough. That being said, Macrae came out the next week and picked up 42 disposals and a couple of goals.

Has this been confirmed? The way some are posting seems as though it has been but I can't see anything online

If so, good get

The development of the young dogs has been astronomical

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be a massive get for us, especially giving him picks 2 and 3 to work with straight away

Had a bit of an incident with Macrae though. Apparently Jack wasn't too pleased when he dropped him to sub and said that he wasn't working hard enough. That being said, Macrae came out the next week and picked up 42 disposals and a couple of goals.
Lol, so the incident could be described as "player gets upset that he's called out and dropped for being slack - and responds the following week by not being slack, with the result being a much better performance". Poor Jackson, a good coach would have allowed him to keep going the way he was - how dare he extract improvement from him against his will!

Geez that club has had a worse culture than ours in a way...

Will be even better if he turns Frost into a defensive machine that absolutely smothers Boyd every time we play WB.
I reckon Dunn could smash him for the next couple of years. He's all big at the moment, like a ruck playing forward.

Huge signing for Melbourne, if it's true.

I'll be disappointed for a long time in how my club handled Brendan's departure - he was an outstanding coach who behaved and spoke as if the club was his home, he's incredibly passionate about football and his young players, and he engages well with the fans.

Directly or indirectly, he was responsible for the fast-tracked development of promising youngsters such as Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae, Jake Stringer, Nathan Hrovat, Marcus Bontempelli and Mitch Honeychurch, and he leaves our club in a much better state than that in which he found it.

I wish him all the best at Melbourne, and hope he sticks it up our gutless administration and senior players. He'll be fantastic for the likes of Toumpas, Salem, Viney, Tyson, Kennedy-Harris and so forth.

All the best.

I'll be disappointed for a long time in how my club handled Brendan's departure - he was an outstanding coach who behaved and spoke as if the club was his home, he's incredibly passionate about football and his young players, and he engages well with the fans.

Directly or indirectly, he was responsible for the fast-tracked development of promising youngsters such as Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae, Jake Stringer, Nathan Hrovat, Marcus Bontempelli and Mitch Honeychurch, and he leaves our club in a much better state than that in which he found it.

I wish him all the best at Melbourne, and hope he sticks it up our gutless administration and senior players. He'll be fantastic for the likes of Toumpas, Salem, Viney, Tyson, Kennedy-Harris and so forth.

All the best.
That's really good to hear - and a magnanimous gesture from you. I'm surprised your club didn't give Macca a chance to rectify some things before getting rid of him. There were obvious results he was getting with your young brigade - who, after all, are the future of the club. There was also clear evidence of a boys club among the older players - which clearly needed to be dismantled for the future of the club. It's a shame that the Bulldogs didn't see the bigger picture. Seems they may have had a kneejerk reaction to Griffen and a few older players' feedback. A pity because I'd like to see the Bulldogs get back into finals.

All the best.

Lister to this guy, he is a bit of a footy champ himself so would know his s**t.

That's really good to hear - and a magnanimous gesture from you. I'm surprised your club didn't give Macca a chance to rectify some things before getting rid of him. There were obvious results he was getting with your young brigade - who, after all, are the future of the club. There was also clear evidence of a boys club among the older players - which clearly needed to be dismantled for the future of the club. It's a shame that the Bulldogs didn't see the bigger picture. Seems they may have had a kneejerk reaction to Griffen and a few older players' feedback. A pity because I'd like to see the Bulldogs get back into finals.
Sadly, we ended up dismantling the senior core even after Macca's departure. The club will be better for it, but we've opened ourselves up to being absolutely crucified by the media when we inevitably perform poorly next season.

Unfortunately many players, supporters and prominent media personalities couldn't see the forest for the trees.
Lister to this guy, he is a bit of a footy champ himself so would know his s**t.
Well, I'm learning from the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back