The 'Go Home 5' Post-Mortem

Remove this Banner Ad

"Reserves watchers optimistic: the Patrick Karnezis story".
It is the sequel to "What does Albert Proud have to do to get a game?"

I believe they are working on a final instalment, working title "Pask/Cornelius/Lisle Kick a Bag".

I'm pretty sure it was in the prelim but when the game was on the line there was a series of contested ball situations on the wing that went on for like 1-2 mins. I can't get the image out of my mind of Polec sitting there 3m outside of the pack while players were diving in and under to win the ball. Waves of players kept arriving after busting a gut to get there and threw themselves at the contest and Polec was still there on the outside waiting for the easy handball.

That passage of play alone highlighted why I'm glad we didn't play him and that he's gone. Sure he's skilful, sure he makes good decisions in time and space but his game is just so outside that come finals and GFs where games are won through individual brilliance and sacrifice Polec will still be there on the outside of the pack looking for the cheapy and watching the opposition extract the ball.

His game doesn't and don't think ever will stand up to finals pressure, it relies on his teammates carrying too much of the load inside and on defence and in H/A you get away with that, in the finals you don't. Just my opinion.

Polec is an outside player. That's his game. As you said, wave after wave of players were diving in on the ball, you do need outlet players as well. Not everyone is/ or should be Ollie Wines. Polec missed a couple of gettable goals in that game that cost us but he wasn't an orphan there, but he did also kick a clutch goal from outside 50 in the last 10 minutes of the game which kept up the pressure and momentum. That's his value. He's not there yet, but if he progresses like he did this year again, he'll be a fairly decent player I reckon.

I'd love a player with Polec's qualities, and ability, on our list, he's a beautiful user/kick of the footy and provides some great run.

Just not Polec himself - can't stand looking at his stupid, punchable face.

671193-42b71a30-9ed8-11e3-b163-d60ea6e39be3.jpg

758847-chris-lilley.jpg

Is Yeo for 28 viewed any differently with the first up success of 28 (Taylor)?

Not my preferred way of rating trades, but I'm glad you got someone good out of it. Who'd have thought 12 months ago Beams and Christensen would be asking to join the Lions...

Don't think you'd find many, if any Lions fans, who would consider swapping Squizzy back for Yeo.

Don't think you'd find many, if any Lions fans, who would consider swapping Squizzy back for Yeo.
Agree, but still doesn't make it right. Thanks goes to Freo for getting us that much. What's that proverb? The enemy of my enemy is my friend...?

How's Yeo's golf game going?

Not my preferred way of rating trades, but I'm glad you got someone good out of it. Who'd have thought 12 months ago Beams and Christensen would be asking to join the Lions...

I think Yeo was probably the most obviously immediate loss for us because he was best 22, whereas the other Go Home 5 really haven't been missed. Karnezis hasn't made an average Pies team and couldn't make ours, Longer got games with St Kilda but would be fourth best ruck if still in Brisbane. Polec has performed well, albeit patchy for Port but Brisbane saw little of that form. Docherty has been reasonable for Carlton but no more or less than we got out of him. All will end up as reasonable players.

Yeo himself will be a good solid above average player I think, not a superstar but far from a spud - somewhere in the B to B+ class I would think. He has enough quality about him to play 150 games if injury free. These are important players for a club to support their three or four big stars and you can't win a flag unless you have that second tier of players like Yeo. You won't ever be disappointed to have Yeo and we would have happily kept him in different circumstances.

What we got for Yeo though was a surprise gift from the football gods: Taylor might just be the steal of the draft, a potentially A grade, even elite footballer with great footy smarts who already looks very comfortable at the top level. Taylor is just a different player than most and it makes him more valuable -hard to match up on, quick, tough, a pure competitor with natural instincts. Amazing that he was overlooked until 28 but to our good fortune I think. He might even go top five in a strong looking draft year if the draft was done again.

In terms of the trade itself, all is well that ends well. Both clubs can be fairly satisfied with how things turned out. Neither feels like they lost. Win - win.

Taylor ends up being important to the club culture. Players and staff come and go, but I think footy clubs boil down to an amalgam of stories.

Lewy's back story - even before playing well -- was a great fit. So many reasons he could have missed AFL. Not a textbook AFL body, difficult home life for a long time. But an iron will to make himself good enough and a bloke who couldn't be more pleased to wear the jumper.

More than anything, we needed that story as much we needed each kick and handball.

We haven't filled Yeo's role -Cutler hopefully - but I can't imagine how Yeo could ever be as culturally important in the circumstances.

Lewie just embodies what is good about a footy club.
A very special young man who tugs at your heartstrings.
Seeing him in the new/old jumper .brought tears to my eyes.
I haven't felt like that since Vossy started playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was covered on the Collingwood show on Fox Footy. Happy families around the dining table with mum's home cooking. Dad drives him to the games at Victoria Park.

and.....the Pies show had a couple of minutes of him & girlfriend on the red carpet at the Copeland....Not sure how he polled in the magoos..

Taylor ends up being important to the club culture. Players and staff come and go, but I think footy clubs boil down to an amalgam of stories.

Lewy's back story - even before playing well -- was a great fit. So many reasons he could have missed AFL. Not a textbook AFL body, difficult home life for a long time. But an iron will to make himself good enough and a bloke who couldn't be more pleased to wear the jumper.

More than anything, we needed that story as much we needed each kick and handball.

We haven't filled Yeo's role -Cutler hopefully - but I can't imagine how Yeo could ever be as culturally important in the circumstances.
Resilience is a hugely underrated quality in a footy player. Just look at Rocky, always working his guts out because of that chip on the shoulder. Lewy's been through a lot at a young age and that will continue to be a blessing in disguise from a footy perspective.

Just look at Jack Watts for the opposite example, seems to have had life given to him on a silver platter and doesn't have the competitiveness to get the most out of his abilities.

From a playing perspective Lewy is just so hard to tackle (strong in the hips and great evasive skills) and plays with maturity. I can't wait to see what he can do after a full preseason or two given how undercooked he was this year.

Not IMO - I keep the drafted player out of the evaluation of a trade, after all our current drafters are the same ones that picked the GH5 so getting lucky now versus not getting lucky previously shouldn't play into it. If we'd got something closer to what I would have considered fair value (early 20s pick), we may have Impey or Matt Crouch instead of Robertson - Taylor may have slid to our next pick (33) or we may have packaged a couple of picks to get up a few more spots. After all we're talking a big what if here anyway.

Not IMO - I keep the drafted player out of the evaluation of a trade, after all our current drafters are the same ones that picked the GH5 so getting lucky now versus not getting lucky previously shouldn't play into it. If we'd got something closer to what I would have considered fair value (early 20s pick), we may have Impey or Matt Crouch instead of Robertson - Taylor may have slid to our next pick (33) or we may have packaged a couple of picks to get up a few more spots. After all we're talking a big what if here anyway.

This x1000.

How well a team drafts doesn't factor into how fair a deal is. West Coast didn't trade us Taylor, they traded us the opportunity to pick 28th in the draft. If West Coast traded say Scott Selwood for pick 1 (hypothetically), but pick 1 became Jack Watts, did West Coast still lose the trade at the time? Probably not.

On my phone, scrolled down and started reading this post here. Was seriously thinking "I had no idea Leuenberger had issues like this"

This x1000.

How well a team drafts doesn't factor into how fair a deal is. West Coast didn't trade us Taylor, they traded us the opportunity to pick 28th in the draft. If West Coast traded say Scott Selwood for pick 1 (hypothetically), but pick 1 became Jack Watts, did West Coast still lose the trade at the time? Probably not.

I agree 100% RE: rating trades at the time. Draft picks are potential value.

FWIW I'd take pick 1 for Scott Selwood in a heartbeat.:)

I agree 100% RE: rating trades at the time. Draft picks are potential value.

FWIW I'd take pick 1 for Scott Selwood in a heartbeat.:)
And in hindsight I'd baulk at drafting Watts for a pick in the 30s... Ah drafting, what a beautiful imperfect science/art...

Let's face it, we were equal parts lucky and clever last year and that atoned for a number of sins... We really did make the best of a rubbish situation and set ourselves up for our next tilt... The fact Leppa could and did back in these kids this year also helps...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back