The Chicago Bulls Thread - Feat best 3 guard rotation of ALL TIME

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Thibodeau was and is still coach, safe to assume his offensive and defensive schemes are the same, very defensively minded. David Blatt has shown he can coach, more impressive than Mike Brown ever was.

Yes, the teams are very different, but the Bulls were realistically as good as they were going to get in 2011. Can't expect much more than 62 wins. Don't really hear anything that makes me believe the Bulls are suddenly so much better and suddenly have LeBron figured out
Yep apologies on the Thibodeau part. Im in agreement that theyre not favorites, but to rule them out completely is stupid, a season is a long time.

Not that this argument matters at all really, as Pistons will be making th le ECF final anyway

Yep apologies on the Thibodeau part. Im in agreement that theyre not favorites, but to rule them out completely is stupid, a season is a long time.

Not that this argument matters at all really, as Pistons will be making th le ECF final anyway

I have just seen it for 4 years now, "X Team will knock off LeBron", 2011 Bulls, 2011 Celtics, 2012 Pacers, 2012 Celtics, 2012 Okc, 2013 Pacers, 2014 Brookyln, 2014 Pacers. All teams hyped because they apparently had a player that could negate LeBrons influence.

Detroit will be quality, in 1-2 years if they can sort out their front court and make those pieces fit they can challenge for ECF. Stan Van knows how to play LeBron too.

Blatts never coached in the NBA before.

Cleveland have the edge with LBJ and kyrie v rose and butler, but down low?
From the little i have seen, seems to know how to run an offense. Alot of unselfish ball movement which is dangerous when you have dudes like LeBron, Kyrie and Love who can create their own offense when need be

I know that the Chicago v Cleveland narrative is only going to intensify as the season progresses, and rightly so. They're the obvious early choices in the East.

I'm still iffy on the Cavs ability to put a season together defensively, though. They have LeBron and Varejao (and an ancient Marion). Sure, but who else is going to hold up defensively for them over the stretch? I would go so far as to say they are one Verejao injury away from disaster. Kevin Love is an atrocious defender, despite his rebounding prowess (think Boozer). Tristan Thompson is one of the worst defenders in the post I have ever seen. Kyrie Irving is all-offense. He ranked 35th among point guards in real plus-minus last season, he is a quicker Jose Calderon with better handles playing on a max deal. Dion Waiters is a one-way player by definition, too.

Then you have to consider the chemistry balance and a rookie coach.

I'm not ready to anoint them champs just yet. Bulls will have a big say in how far they go.

Going to have a damn hard time only picking two of Noah, Gasol and Gibson to finish games. Will most likely be a game by game thing but do we go with Gasol-Taj for the extra offense? D will always be there but less pressure on Rose with those two out there.

Only saw the box score, but my mate said the Knicks were insipid. Good to see Brooks did OK, Mirotic had a good FG% and got some boards. Good signs!

Yes, the teams are very different, but the Bulls were realistically as good as they were going to get in 2011. Can't expect much more than 62 wins. Don't really hear anything that makes me believe the Bulls are suddenly so much better and suddenly have LeBron figured out
So you want to compare the 2011 Bulls to the Bulls of today??

You mean the same Bulls who had Rose in just his third year in the league. Noah in just his 4th. We had guys like Brewer, Bogans, Boozer and the 38 year old Kurt Thomas playing heavy minutes.

We were a young team who were very, very limited offensively. Rose and Deng were really our only real options. Boozer in a pinch but his 17ppg were never important points if you know what I mean.

We are a far better team now, on both ends of the floor. Now we have Rose surrounded by shooters.

Brooks - .368 career 3pt%
Dunleavy - .372 career 3pt%
Hinrich - .377 career 3pt%
Mirotic - .402 career 3pt%
McBuckets - .458 career 3pt%

We also have Taj Gibson who just in his second year in the league and averaging just 7ppg off the bench. Last season his scoring average was up to 13ppg and in the season opener, he scored 22.

We all know how good Pau Gasol is with a career average of 18.3ppg. We also have the steady improvement of Jimmy Butler who is entering his 4th year with us and his averages have gone up each season from 2.6ppg to 8.6ppg to 13.1ppg last season. Id expect that trend to continue on an upwards curve.

We also have Brooks instant offence off the bench. Averaged 11.9ppg lase season and has averaged 19.6ppg in one season during his career.

So offensively. It's not going to be the same series. We are not going to pass it to Rose and hope he can somehow score. We will run plenty of pick n rolls with two of the best passing bigmen in the game in Gasol and Noah. We will have shooters all over the floor. Excellent bench help in Brooks, McBuckets, Gibson and Hinrich.

Plus defensively we are as good as ever, if not better with Butler's huge rise to one of the best perimeter defenders in the game. Jo just coming off DPOTY honours.

Im not saying we will beat Cleveland as Rose is yet to stay healthy and im yet to see over the course of the season how Cleveland will go and how good they may or may not be. But to suggest we have no hope.

Well you are just uneducated.

Why am I seeing that Butler could potentially get 12 million dollars a year? All he's shown so far is that he's a really good defender and not much more.
New salary cap.

12 million is about what we'll have to pay if we want to keep him

Disappointing loss, don't know if its good or bad that Hinrich looked to be our best offensive threat. Thoughts on Pau for being benched for vital parts in the 4th quarter?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointing loss, don't know if its good or bad that Hinrich looked to be our best offensive threat. Thoughts on Pau for being benched for vital parts in the 4th quarter?
I don't like it. That and Kirk finishing when Brooks was clearly on means Thibs is still too focused on D IMO. We need to be more balanced.

I don't like it. That and Kirk finishing when Brooks was clearly on means Thibs is still too focused on D IMO. We need to be more balanced.
Eyebrow raiser that Pau was benched at the end. Wrong decision I think, especially with Gibson injured and Noah in foul trouble.

Blatts never coached in the NBA before.

Cleveland have the edge with LBJ and kyrie v rose and butler, but down low?

THIS! Andy V hasn't managed to stay healthy in a long time to the end of the season so wouldn't count on him in the playoffs. Noah/Gibson/Gasol will dominate down low and thats often where the game is decided in the half court grind of the playoffs.

So you want to compare the 2011 Bulls to the Bulls of today??

You mean the same Bulls who had Rose in just his third year in the league. Noah in just his 4th. We had guys like Brewer, Bogans, Boozer and the 38 year old Kurt Thomas playing heavy minutes.

We were a young team who were very, very limited offensively. Rose and Deng were really our only real options. Boozer in a pinch but his 17ppg were never important points if you know what I mean.

We are a far better team now, on both ends of the floor. Now we have Rose surrounded by shooters.

Brooks - .368 career 3pt%
Dunleavy - .372 career 3pt%
Hinrich - .377 career 3pt%
Mirotic - .402 career 3pt%
McBuckets - .458 career 3pt%

We also have Taj Gibson who just in his second year in the league and averaging just 7ppg off the bench. Last season his scoring average was up to 13ppg and in the season opener, he scored 22.

We all know how good Pau Gasol is with a career average of 18.3ppg. We also have the steady improvement of Jimmy Butler who is entering his 4th year with us and his averages have gone up each season from 2.6ppg to 8.6ppg to 13.1ppg last season. Id expect that trend to continue on an upwards curve.

We also have Brooks instant offence off the bench. Averaged 11.9ppg lase season and has averaged 19.6ppg in one season during his career.

So offensively. It's not going to be the same series. We are not going to pass it to Rose and hope he can somehow score. We will run plenty of pick n rolls with two of the best passing bigmen in the game in Gasol and Noah. We will have shooters all over the floor. Excellent bench help in Brooks, McBuckets, Gibson and Hinrich.

Plus defensively we are as good as ever, if not better with Butler's huge rise to one of the best perimeter defenders in the game. Jo just coming off DPOTY honours.

Im not saying we will beat Cleveland as Rose is yet to stay healthy and im yet to see over the course of the season how Cleveland will go and how good they may or may not be. But to suggest we have no hope.

Well you are just uneducated.
As we saw on the weekend, the secret to beating the cavs or miami when he was there, is stopping LeBron. Limit LeBron and you put pressure on Kyrie and Waiters to create offense which can go either way.

The bulls with their current lineup are no closer to being able to contain LeBron than they were in 2011. Butler is an overrated defender and doesn't have the size, speed or strength to contain LeBron. Lebron had his way with them Saturday and I don't see any reason to see that changing.

Even then, I think stopping LeBron scoring is the least of their problems. I don't see any viable option for the bulls to create offense when LeBron is guarding Rose. Facts are he limits him greatly, and for a team that rides one player so hard it leaves them really struggling.

The cavs defense will continue to evolve but the Bulls allowing 100+ points this early on is worrying. I'm not even a cavs fan I'm just saying how I see it, and I think the 2011 Bulls is a better team then this current team. Deng is an extremely underrated loss

As we saw on the weekend, the secret to beating the cavs or miami when he was there, is stopping LeBron. Limit LeBron and you put pressure on Kyrie and Waiters to create offense which can go either way.

The bulls with their current lineup are no closer to being able to contain LeBron than they were in 2011. Butler is an overrated defender and doesn't have the size, speed or strength to contain LeBron. Lebron had his way with them Saturday and I don't see any reason to see that changing.

Even then, I think stopping LeBron scoring is the least of their problems. I don't see any viable option for the bulls to create offense when LeBron is guarding Rose. Facts are he limits him greatly, and for a team that rides one player so hard it leaves them really struggling.

The cavs defense will continue to evolve but the Bulls allowing 100+ points this early on is worrying. I'm not even a cavs fan I'm just saying how I see it, and I think the 2011 Bulls is a better team then this current team. Deng is an extremely underrated loss
Sigh. You can't bang on about us having multiple players who can't create their own shot and then say Deng is an underrated loss. He can't create his own shot to save himself, and nothing that happens in the second game of an 82 game season is "worrying".

What are you on about? We lost in overtime and Rose didnt play the second half because he rolled his ankle and Butler didnt play so we were forced to make Mike D or second year forward Snell guard the best player in the game.

Butler isnt an overrated defender, he is very, very good and will certainly help us limit LBJ now that he is back. You say stuff like a team that rides Rose so hard yet we have made the playoffs each of the two years Rose has been out and managed to be quite a high seed aswell.

We have other scoring options outside of Rose and if you think we are riding him so hard through three games where he didnt even play one and a half of those games. Well you're an idiot.

Sigh. You can't bang on about us having multiple players who can't create their own shot and then say Deng is an underrated loss. He can't create his own shot to save himself, and nothing that happens in the second game of an 82 game season is "worrying".
Deng wasn't underrated because of his shot making ability, what he did was make LeBron accountable on defense. Who does LeBron guard now exactly? He spends the game playing help D on Rose and running in transition.

And it is worrying, because the cavs have a much higher ceiling than the Bulls and still have alot of development to do. Acquiring Gasol doesn't mean they suddenly need to change up their offense or defense, in fact he was probably the best defensively that game and seemed like he has adjusted well.

As I've said numerous times, no one here has given a viable reason why the Bulls suddenly have the answer to stopping a LeBron driven team. He is a match up nightmare for them and getting weaker at the 3 doesn't help them at all

What are you on about? We lost in overtime and Rose didnt play the second half because he rolled his ankle and Butler didnt play so we were forced to make Mike D or second year forward Snell guard the best player in the game.

Butler isnt an overrated defender, he is very, very good and will certainly help us limit LBJ now that he is back. You say stuff like a team that rides Rose so hard yet we have made the playoffs each of the two years Rose has been out and managed to be quite a high seed aswell.

We have other scoring options outside of Rose and if you think we are riding him so hard through three games where he didnt even play one and a half of those games. Well you're an idiot.
When Rose is playing, he scores or assists on more than half the Bulls shots, as he did in his MVP season. If that isn't riding one player I'm not sure what is

No the secret to beating Cleveland is to keep them off the boards.
True we didn't contain LBJ, bit without butler we ended up with mike d on him. Snell did well in patches.

A loooong way to go in the season
Noteable matchups who were better rebounding teams: 2010 Bulls, 2011 Celtics, 2011 Bulls, 2012 Pacers, 2013 Pacers. All teams predicted as knocking off LeBron because they were "too big inside" or would "kill him on the boards". Could probably add 2014 Bulls to that list after this year

As I've said numerous times, no one here has given a viable reason why the Bulls suddenly have the answer to stopping a LeBron driven team. He is a match up nightmare for them and getting weaker at the 3 doesn't help them at all
But ive already given you several viable reasons as to why we can beat the Bulls. But you just dont listen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back