Opinion Speculation over - Eade Coach

Who will be our next Coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
gee that poll I posted was taken down quick. too accurate?

116 pages of wonder who our next coach will be, while the best candidates are snapped up, or feel rejected. what a farce!!!

Thanks.
I'm unsure why I was attacked personally here.
Not once did I say a bad word about GC.
You attacked a potential Suns coach. you gave no real evidence of why he deserved your attack.

Your own clubs recent coaching dramas have given you less credit when having an opinion on your own coaches or otherwise.

Eade has a record you really cant slander, though you did your best.

Eade may well preside over our next team that bests you by 70. And that's a distinct possibility.

Buckley may soon have less a role at cwood than Eade, if Eade stays at cwood.

Eade at the Suns, may have even more influence over cwoods chances than Buckley has later this year.

Eddie wont sit on his hands. Eddie fears The Sun will burn the back of his hands every morning....

Eddie wont sit on his hands. Eddie fears The Sun will burn the back of his hands every morning....

I think you may new to the game so I'll cut you some slack.
Eddie has granted Eade permission to interview for the job.
If you look at our mentality recently, we have no issue seeing our coaching staff 'poached'
It is a sign of the strength of the club.
If you have your employees targeted it's a good indication of your club.
We have had McKenna (who was very stiff to be sacked), Brad Scott, Alan Richardson & numerous other assistants promoted as head coaches in the 10's.
No other club has produced as many AFL coaches in that timeframe as Collingwood.
Eddie's mantra has always been it is healthy to have this.
The ease in Eddie granting Eade permission probably highlights how highly he is rated at Collingwood..

really don't like it that were still going after Rodney Eade.
Why go after someone who wants nothing to do with our club and has gone on record saying that he has no interest in the job.
My first pick for the Suns coaching job was Bomber Thompson but now i'm thinking the best man for the job is Brendon Bolton ticks just about every box and will fine tune our team and turn them into a finals juggernaut

really don't like it that were still going after Rodney Eade.
Why go after someone who wants nothing to do with our club and has gone on record saying that he has no interest in the job.

He wouldnt be coming up for an interview if that was really the case. Eade probably was just saying the right things publicly before he got the OK from his bosses at Collingwood to pursue the job at the Suns.

Like to see Gary Ayres given another shot at AFL level after seeing what he has done at Port Melbourne with a stand alone team.
Peter German also should be thought about has been a very successful coach everywhere he has gone, Tassie, WAFL, VFL and AFL as an assistant at multiple clubs has won premierships and coach of the year honours I believe.
One from left field Brad Gotch coached South Adelaide this year and has turned a club with a terrible culture into a premiership contender. Been a multiple VFL premiership coach and coach of the year. And maybe most importantly has had time working as an assistant with Ken Hinkley at Port Adelaide so only one year out of the AFL system worth an interview I reckon.

If you look at our mentality recently, we have no issue seeing our coaching staff 'poached'
We have had McKenna (who was very stiff to be sacked), Brad Scott, Alan Richardson & numerous other assistants promoted as head coaches in the 10's.
No other club has produced as many AFL coaches in that timeframe as Collingwood.
The ease in Eddie granting Eade permission probably highlights how highly he is rated at Collingwood..

Well I guess it's all how you look at it.

From my take on it, the three coaches you mentioned have all left after serving under Mick Malthouse, so in my opinion it has more to do with serving their apprenticeship under him rather than from being at Collingwood.

Also I think you will find that there are as many coaches taken from the Hawthorn system and assistants that are now far more sought after than anyone at Collingwood serving under Buckley. Even there I believe it has more to do with working under Alistair Clarkson than coming through Hawthorn specifically.

I don't see any clubs banging down the door to snatch any of your current crop of assistants working under Buckley.

From my take on it, the three coaches you mentioned have all left after serving under Mick Malthouse, so in my opinion it has more to do with serving their apprenticeship under him rather than from being at Collingwood..

Of course you are going to say that.
You are a Carlton supporter, a club which effectively became a subsidiary of Collingwood.
Buttifant, Thomas, Swann, Malthouse. All cast offs.
A club is bigger than one person and one coach.
Alan Richardson, who setup the academy and was the first development coach employed in the AFL had nothing to do with Malthouse as a coach.
The current 2IC to Buckley currently was offered the Adelaide job but declined it.
The current Football Manager will be offered the GC job.

Of course you are going to say that.
You are a Carlton supporter, a club which effectively became a subsidiary of Collingwood.
Buttifant, Thomas, Swann, Malthouse. All cast offs.
A club is bigger than one person and one coach.
Alan Richardson, who setup the academy and was the first development coach employed in the AFL had nothing to do with Malthouse as a coach.
The current 2IC to Buckley currently was offered the Adelaide job but declined it.
The current Football Manager will be offered the GC job.
Of course I said what I said because I always take a measured, studied, well balanced and unbiased view of issues. Being a Carlton supporter has no more to do with the issue than you being a Collingwood supporter. In fact I never mentioned your personal support of Collingwood, but I did provide a quantified opinion measured against the Clarkson factor, which I believe has more merit than just saying "my club produces the best coaches" blinkered view you provided.

If you read my posts on any subjects in this or other threads I think you will find that I not only take an open minded and balanced view of issues, I also encourage others to do the same.

You accidentally left off Mark Neeld & Scott Watters from the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just want to mention again..... have we done a Brisbane Lions job where they sacked Vossy because they thought they had Roos secured as their next coach.When that wasn't to be, the Lions had to go running madly to find a coach.
Did we sack Bluey because we thought we had Bomber . I mean ,from all reports Bombers manager and the Suns spoke before the sacking of Bluey!
Now we are running around madly looking for a finals experienced coach, cant find one, so have to revert to the rookie coaches that are available.
Just my opinion, but the scenario is very similar.
Did the Suns heirachy f...k up here and have had to go into hush hush mode about it.
For mine, they f..ked up when they selected Bluey as coach over Hinkley!!!!
Just an opinion for discussion.
I hope Eade does apply. If not, well whoever we choose, I hope that coach will be good for us.

I am struggling to see the benefits in taking Eade back into the senior coaching fray after he has been out of it and also publicly said he wouldnt do it to his family and didnt have it in him commitment wise. I keep thinking because we are hearing nothing from the Bolton camp either way that he must be squarely on the short list I would much prefer us to go with a fresh up and coming proven assistant than an old stager

Last edited:
"Eade is a former teammate of the Gold Coast football boss Marcus Ashcroft – they spent two years together as Brisbane Bears in the elder player's final two seasons after a distinguished career at Hawthorn. He also enjoyed a close working relationship at the Bulldogs with the Suns' foundation recruiting boss Scott Clayton."

Just want to mention again..... have we done a Brisbane Lions job where they sacked Vossy because they thought they had Roos secured as their next coach.When that wasn't to be, the Lions had to go running madly to find a coach.
Did we sack Bluey because we thought we had Bomber . I mean ,from all reports Bombers manager and the Suns spoke before the sacking of Bluey!
Now we are running around madly looking for a finals experienced coach, cant find one, so have to revert to the rookie coaches that are available.
Just my opinion, but the scenario is very similar.
Did the Suns heirachy f...k up here and have had to go into hush hush mode about it.
For mine, they f..ked up when they selected Bluey as coach over Hinkley!!!!
Just an opinion for discussion.
I hope Eade does apply. If not, well whoever we choose, I hope that coach will be good for us.
Reasonable point for discussion, but it's impossible to understand the whole Bomber situation. It looks like the media goofed on that.

I'm not sure there is a right or wrong way. Bluey simply had to go. You can't just keep him on because there are no super available plain-as-day replacements available. You worry about the replacement later. Remember, Hinkley was like Port's 4th or 5th choice, and was only hired after Port consistently and stubbornly kept harassing him, even after he ruled himself out.

There are good options remaining. We just have to make sure we take out time to get the right guy.

"Eade is a former teammate of the Gold Coast football boss Marcus Ashcroft – they spent two years together as Brisbane Bears in the elder player's final two seasons after a distinguished career at Hawthorn. He also enjoyed a close working relationship at the Bulldogs with the Suns' foundation recruiting boss Scott Clayton."
Nepotism !
Getting the feeling the Ashcroft, Blight, Lovell, Clayton, & Soloman want someone who can fit in and work with them.

Reasonable point for discussion, but it's impossible to understand the whole Bomber situation. It looks like the media goofed on that.

I'm not sure there is a right or wrong way. Bluey simply had to go. You can't just keep him on because there are no super available plain-as-day replacements available. You worry about the replacement later. Remember, Hinkley was like Port's 4th or 5th choice, and was only hired after Port consistently and stubbornly kept harassing him, even after he ruled himself out.

There are good options remaining. We just have to make sure we take out time to get the right guy.

Yeah it's drawing a long bow to suggest we ****ed up our coaching issue to Brisbane's proportions. If we had wanted Bomber he's still available for a senior coaching gig last time I checked. Media just connected the dots wrong with the Hird / Bomber situation and Bluey's sacking. Look at Caro, previously one of the more respected journos who has lost much credibility with getting the Hird sacked call wrong. I'm glad we're keeping a tight ship on this one. Endless speculation from Journos gets tedious. Who haven't they named as being favourite? One thing though is I don't think the AFL want anyone associated with the ASADA mess attached to one of their key projects. Especially one as unpredictable as Bomber. The mud always sticks. Don't underestimate the AFL's influence in all of this.
Bazza37's call of "nepotism" seems more on the mark, although life will tell you it's not what you know but who you know. That is just how it works most of the time. Good point Sunny about Hinkley. Port fluked that one. I just don't see the logic of chasing Eade over a Bolton who would have much more energy and enthusiasm for the role. You'd think we will hear something by the end of this week though so it isn't like it has dragged on like the ASADA saga.

With this talk the club wants a experienced coach , i'm surprised Choco Williams name hasn't been thrown up , premiership coach still works in the system.

With this talk the club wants a experienced coach , i'm surprised Choco Williams name hasn't been thrown up , premiership coach still works in the system.
Perhaps it has been thrown up? Just not from the media.

We really have no clue.

Eade is also good family friends of your Tom Lynch.
Eade has a holiday house in Sorrento, next door to the Lynch family home.

Nepotism !
Getting the feeling the Ashcroft, Blight, Lovell, Clayton, & Soloman want someone who can fit in and work with them.
You can probably add GAJ to those names.
Still can't work out what Worsfold is up to. Has declared he has a real passion to coach again but wants to wait another 12 months. This job isn't available in 12 months. Surprised if Blighty hasn't been in touch and being a Sandgroper would appeal to our young WA lads.
Eade looks like a safety first option which I can understand. Low risk and hand pick an assistant that can then take the reigns when ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back