2015 is THE most important year of Dimma's reign

TigerTime3

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
??????????? yesr 3, 4 and 5 have been failures IMO...

Judging the success of a coach's long-term premiership vision can't be done by the performance of any 1 season in isolation, no less by "winning a final" (an arbitrary measurement of success).

It's only about whether these early seasons lead to a premiership sometime in the near future. If we win a premiership, then every single season leading up to that premiership has served it's purpose! In hindsight they will be considered a successful part of the process in cultivating a premiership team ;)

But if we don't win a flag... then every season was a failure.

Have to judge him according to the overall long-term plan over about 8 years IMO. If he fails, the next coach won't need as long because our list would be far more balanced by then.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Judging the success of a coach's long-term premiership vision can't be done by the performance of any 1 season in isolation, no less by "winning a final" (an arbitrary measurement of success).

It's only about whether these early seasons lead to a premiership sometime in the near future. If we win a premiership, then every single season leading up to that premiership has served it's purpose! In hindsight they will be considered a successful part of the process in cultivating a premiership team ;)

Have to judge him according to the overall long-term plan over about 8 years IMO. If he fails, the next coach won't need as long because our list would be far more balanced by then.

When is the "near future"???? need to win a final in order to make the grand final. About 8 years???? ok.....

Going to be an interesting year. In terms of our list we're still a few years off IMO, but if we're not winning a Grand Final then what's the goal? To make finals? To win a final? The club showed what they're capable in the back half of this year, so if we don't make finals then I don't think Dimma can continue as coach, even if we're crippled by injury. If we're knocked out of finals in the first week, then you add some contingencies, injuries permitted etc, if there's no good reason why, he's gone again. If we make it to the second week of finals, regardless of why/how, he keeps his job.

So the way I see it there are 3 possible options:
- We improve
- We remain the same
- We get worse

We finished 8th, which isn't good enough, we can't go into 2016 with a coach that has shown can't make players win finals. I agree with the OP, 2015 is the most important year of Dimma's reign in finding out if he's good enough to take us further.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
The past should not dictate the future.... but we played 5 good games last year and that is not exceptable in a coaches 5th season. people can blame the players all they want. Its Dimmas ship... its Dimmas players and he has had more than enough time to get them up and about winning finals.

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
We're as on track as we can be in the modern comp..

Someone needs to tell Hinkley about our inch by inch, steady as we go approach. He obviously doesnt understand the modern comp.

I agree that this will be the most scrutiny that Damien will be under this year. Teams that get blown out of first week of finals are no given to be there next year and need to fight for a finals spot as if they were not there last year.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Who cares about "winning a final"? We exist to win PREMIERSHIPS! :)

It's far better to spend 6 years building towards a premiership than to judge him on whether he "wins a final" in years 1, 2, or 3.

I don't judge him on meaningless H&A wins and not elimination final wins either. The next step may be to win a final, but that's not an achievement. Winning a final is nothing!

I only judge him on his ability to steer us closer to premiership success. I think his pedigree will be more effective if we become a top team too - he's not used to motivating mediocre football sides.

Why is winning an elimination final suddenly the benchmark for measuring success? Tell me that! ;)
Bc we've been flogged in the last two EF
Unless we finish top 4 we can then bypass EF ;) and you still need to win three finals from here if you want a flag :confused:
Dimma needs a starting point and we are being nice by asking as a bare minimum an EF win
I expect two final wins , but I'm harder on Dimma :)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters

I can see it was 5:42 pm when you posted this so I will put it down to you were at the races enjoying yourself and were most likely inebriated with some weird beverage(s).:$
You're making too many assumptions buddy;)

Last edited:
May 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
The season hasnt even started yet and you idiots already want his head for something that hasnt even happened.

Go figure.
Not all of us mate, some of us remember how much dimma and the people around him have improved the Tigers. To anyone who doesnt like dimma i have 3 words for you Terry F@cken Wallace, dont forget dimma had to fix the disaster of his "5 year plan" and get our boys thinking they could win a game of footy again. I have enormous respect for dimma coming in when we were a trainwreck and rolling his sleeves up and getting the job done. Not once have I heard him complain about it and he is a fierce defender of our club and team to the media. People getting stuck into dimma need a good wack around the head from KB & Richo holding yellow and black sticks.

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Not all of us mate, some of us remember how much dimma and the people around him have improved the Tigers. To anyone who doesnt like dimma i have 3 words for you Terry F@cken Wallace, dont forget dimma had to fix the disaster of his "5 year plan" and get our boys thinking they could win a game of footy again. I have enormous respect for dimma coming in when we were a trainwreck and rolling his sleeves up and getting the job done. Not once have I heard him complain about it and he is a fierce defender of our club and team to the media. People getting stuck into dimma need a good wack around the head from KB & Richo holding yellow and black sticks.

Dont hate him in fact think he represents the club well and appears likeable bloke.
Acknowledge that he has done good things at the club.
This year is critical in knowing whether he is the man to take us forward.

The three would coexist in many supporters.

May 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Dont hate him in fact think he represents the club well and appears likeable bloke.
Acknowledge that he has done good things at the club.
This year is critical in knowing whether he is the man to take us forward.

The three would coexist in many supporters.
Thats more than fair mate, im just of the opinion that dimma deserves this next season to prove he belongs as coach of the RFC. If at the end of the year we have failed to make the 8 or we get smashed again in the finals then i think dimma himself would be expecting a serious review and possible termination of his position. I will reserve my judgement on dimmas abilities until the end of the 2015 season.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Thats more than fair mate, im just of the opinion that dimma deserves this next season to prove he belongs as coach of the RFC. If at the end of the year we have failed to make the 8 or we get smashed again in the finals then i think dimma himself would be expecting a serious review and possible termination of his position. I will reserve my judgement on dimmas abilities until the end of the 2015 season.
This is why we have a thread with such a title
We are all nervous with the fact whether we've been investing in the right guy as coach or will our
shares turn to nothing and our six years of investment go to waste???
I'm not a fan for changing coaches , but I have gotten used to it over the years. So If this year goes with no finals success like many on here have said its just about a full review on DH and hs band of merry men
Watching the Steve Jobs movie tonight highlighted to me about people who can stagnate or cause organisations to fold
When Jobs left Apple in the almost two decades of stagnation the first thing he did when he came back was cut out all the cancers that almost killed the corporation and were there from the time he first left
We've got a few administrators recruiters etc hanging around from the past.
if we fail again then All of these guys future at the club will need reviewing as it is obvious that its falling apart somewhere and it can't just be DH
Look at Apple today with new people at the top they got a team to come up withe the iPod and the rest is history.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

Why does Dimma deserve anything? because he is a good bloke? Primus was a good bloke should Port have stuck with him? Voss was a legend of the game ... should have the lions stuck with him?
Dimma has had more support staff than any Richmond coach in the history of the game.... he has had the longest prep time afforded to anyone to get build the game plan and list to what he wants.

The Judgement Will begin round 1.... not round 23. Dimma will the be coach under the most pressure in the competition next season. Thats life.

I hope we bounce out of the blocks and start the season off well... for Dimma's case its a must to keep the vultures at bay.

After last season I have a lot less confidence in Dimma.... especially the first half. It was a credit to him to keep the players on side and get them going in the last half, when we started taking the game on more.
If Dimma has identified and learnt from last years mistakes.... and is prepared to be tough on the selection table when he is needed to, than I am sure we have the players and depth now to push deeper into the finals..... anything else is a failure... again.

May 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Why does Dimma deserve anything? because he is a good bloke? Primus was a good bloke should Port have stuck with him? Voss was a legend of the game ... should have the lions stuck with him?
Dimma has had more support staff than any Richmond coach in the history of the game.... he has had the longest prep time afforded to anyone to get build the game plan and list to what he wants.

The Judgement Will begin round 1.... not round 23. Dimma will the be coach under the most pressure in the competition next season. Thats life.

I hope we bounce out of the blocks and start the season off well... for Dimma's case its a must to keep the vultures at bay.

After last season I have a lot less confidence in Dimma.... especially the first half. It was a credit to him to keep the players on side and get them going in the last half, when we started taking the game on more.
If Dimma has identified and learnt from last years mistakes.... and is prepared to be tough on the selection table when he is needed to, than I am sure we have the players and depth now to push deeper into the finals..... anything else is a failure... again.
Considering the walk out of young talented players and the debacle of sacking Voss id say yes they should have given him another year, its not like they have done any better since sacking him so far, Primus is not even close to dimma's coaching ability obviously so thats not a fair comparison. going by your post if we lose the first two games of next season you will be calling for his head, then if we win 16 out of the next 17 it will be a good choice to have kept him, then if we get to a prelim after winning 1 or 2 finals depending on ladder position it will most likely be a master stroke to have kept faith in him? My point is like every other Tiger supporter i crave success after all the years of s**t we have all endured together, just in my opinion what other better coaches are for hire at the moment? No way bomber thompson is coming to the Tigs and apart from him i wouldnt replace dimma from the current crop of free coaches. I live in fear of the sack the coach for results ideology for obvious reasons as a richmond supporter so like trading a player that we have to make sure its worth it for an absolute gun or were mad we have to make sure if the club decides to remove dimma there has to be a good coach to replace him. Also to consider is for us to be a top destination for players we need club stability, no gun free agent wants to come to a club where coaches are being sacked, players leaving and all the negative press that comes with it. Anyway nut i hope ur having a good weekend and dont forget i love ya mate just cause your a fellow Tig :)

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Considering the walk out of young talented players and the debacle of sacking Voss id say yes they should have given him another year, its not like they have done any better since sacking him so far, Primus is not even close to dimma's coaching ability obviously so thats not a fair comparison. going by your post if we lose the first two games of next season you will be calling for his head, then if we win 16 out of the next 17 it will be a good choice to have kept him, then if we get to a prelim after winning 1 or 2 finals depending on ladder position it will most likely be a master stroke to have kept faith in him? My point is like every other Tiger supporter i crave success after all the years of s**t we have all endured together, just in my opinion what other better coaches are for hire at the moment? No way bomber thompson is coming to the Tigs and apart from him i wouldnt replace dimma from the current crop of free coaches. I live in fear of the sack the coach for results ideology for obvious reasons as a richmond supporter so like trading a player that we have to make sure its worth it for an absolute gun or were mad we have to make sure if the club decides to remove dimma there has to be a good coach to replace him. Also to consider is for us to be a top destination for players we need club stability, no gun free agent wants to come to a club where coaches are being sacked, players leaving and all the negative press that comes with it. Anyway nut i hope ur having a good weekend and dont forget i love ya mate just cause your a fellow Tig :)

I'm not going to respond to stupidity....

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
All true about the concept of the coach pooltent out there. My theory is to every good coach there is about 15 failures. It's true that changing coaches had been a knock on be over the years, but the argument of the OP is do we scour the pool for a new coach if Dimma fails to improve our position or do we continue to plod on and continue to be a middle of the road side?
Adelaide sacked their coach who is on par with DH (if not better according to their board) in an effort to be better and harder.
Will they be better off ? I say yes , but time can prove me wrong

deliberate!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2003
In Bake Jatchelor's shadow
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Hardwick has set in motion his own demise. Modern clubs who have made Finals and who see a Flag Window open, top up their list with ready made players who instantly add to that team and make it a better and much stronger chance through Finals and towards a Flag.

Does Hardwick actually believe our current list with the inclusion of some untested drafted kids over summer will help us beat, IN FINALS, this year's Top 4 and win a flag?

The man lives in dreamland and all his theories go out the window during Finals.

Ask yourself, will a couple of kids introduced over summer ensure that we could beat Hawthorn/Port/North/Freo/Geelong when it matters, during Finals? No.

Hardwick insults my intelligence and should have been shown the door this year.
He's moulded a group of guys who think just getting to the Finals is enough, because he cannot plan FOR FINALS AND IN FINALS.

Other teams have not stood still since the end of the season. We have.

Hardwick thinks we need more midfielders. So did Terry Wallace.
No, we need more consistent Forward small goal kickers.

The RFC Club urgently needs two more Forward Rats. Did we pick any up? Have we over the last two years? No. You can run with the ball out of the centre all you like. Who's going to finish if Jack and Dusty are being held? Don't raise any fanboy 'let's hope' names....there is nobody.

If Hardwick stuffs up this draw early by having us try to mimic a team we're not, Hardwick should be booted early. Or he'll blow another year.

Going to be an interesting year. In terms of our list we're still a few years off IMO, but if we're not winning a Grand Final then what's the goal? To make finals? To win a final? The club showed what they're capable in the back half of this year, so if we don't make finals then I don't think Dimma can continue as coach, even if we're crippled by injury. If we're knocked out of finals in the first week, then you add some contingencies, injuries permitted etc, if there's no good reason why, he's gone again. If we make it to the second week of finals, regardless of why/how, he keeps his job.

So the way I see it there are 3 possible options:
- We improve
- We remain the same
- We get worse

We finished 8th, which isn't good enough, we can't go into 2016 with a coach that has shown can't make players win finals. I agree with the OP, 2015 is the most important year of Dimma's reign in finding out if he's good enough to take us further.

Disagree. If we finish 8th, and make it into the second week of finals, it is good enough. Finals has been a pass mark the last 2 years, making it past the first week must be the pass mark for 2015.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Disagree. If we finish 8th, and make it into the second week of finals, it is good enough. Finals has been a pass mark the last 2 years, making it past the first week must be the pass mark for 2015.

Its a prelim or bye bye Dimma... IMO. We are not a charity case that hands out 600k a season to a coach that is happy being an also ran.....

Its a prelim,,,, or do you think he needs more time than 6 preseasons ? am I missing something? #bringbackfrawleyatleasthegotustoaprelim

TigersMan4

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Hardwick has set in motion his own demise. Modern clubs who have made Finals and who see a Flag Window open, top up their list with ready made players who instantly add to that team and make it a better and much stronger chance through Finals and towards a Flag.

Does Hardwick actually believe our current list with the inclusion of some untested drafted kids over summer will help us beat, IN FINALS, this year's Top 4 and win a flag?

The man lives in dreamland and all his theories go out the window during Finals.

Ask yourself, will a couple of kids introduced over summer ensure that we could beat Hawthorn/Port/North/Freo/Geelong when it matters, during Finals? No.

Hardwick insults my intelligence and should have been shown the door this year.
He's moulded a group of guys who think just getting to the Finals is enough, because he cannot plan FOR FINALS AND IN FINALS.

Other teams have not stood still since the end of the season. We have.

Hardwick thinks we need more midfielders. So did Terry Wallace.
No, we need more consistent Forward small goal kickers.

The RFC Club urgently needs two more Forward Rats. Did we pick any up? Have we over the last two years? No. You can run with the ball out of the centre all you like. Who's going to finish if Jack and Dusty are being held? Don't raise any fanboy 'let's hope' names....there is nobody.

If Hardwick stuffs up this draw early by having us try to mimic a team we're not, Hardwick should be booted early. Or he'll blow another year.
HE'S BACK!

Read again, says "We finished" not "If we finish" :p
Like I said, if we get past the first week of finals then I think it's good enough
As far as I'm concerned we could finish 4th then lose in straight sets and I'd be ok with it

Back