List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smack will be rookied by a Melbourne based club bookmark it.

Could see him playing some good footy at a club like Carlton or the Dogs.

The issue is that if McKernan is the key forward he will struggle because the defenders will be all over him. He would be better of at North or someone with a other forwards that's the defense needs to focus on.

The issue is that if McKernan is the key forward he will struggle because the defenders will be all over him. He would be better of at North or someone with a other forwards that's the defense needs to focus on.
Cant believe it , after 5 years of nothing and a heart and football brain size of a pea , here we are even after finally cutting this guy we have posters still believing in him.

Cant believe it , after 5 years of nothing and a heart and football brain size of a pea , here we are even after finally cutting this guy we have posters still believing in him.

I believe we don't have much to worry about letting him go.

Would Josh Simpson be worth the risk. If Ross Lyon couldn't keep him in line I'm not sure anyone can. But fills a serious need for us and has a heap of talent. Might be good to get him out of WA as well.

Would Josh Simpson be worth the risk. If Ross Lyon couldn't keep him in line I'm not sure anyone can. But fills a serious need for us and has a heap of talent. Might be good to get him out of WA as well.

Fills a need yes but apart from that I highly doubt he will bring in a team first culture, from all reports was given a great opportunity to get him self right and couldn't even do that for him self, hard to see him putting the team first.

Also Dayle Gartlet pleaded for a chance and spoke how moving away from WA will help...... quit before season started and has been arrested since. The club does not have a luxury of taking on high risk picks with the Tippet sanctions finally over.

At North he'll be the 6th choice forward. Sounds about right!

Smack will be rookied by a Melbourne based club bookmark it.

Could see him playing some good footy at a club like Carlton or the Dogs.

Time to let it go mate, the point is he was never likely to produce anything half reasonable at the AFC as long as his a hole pointed to the ground, surely when he saw that no other clubs were remotely interested during last year's trade week that should have been enough reason to realise he had to pull his finger out and produce something worthwhile. If another club is brave enough to pick him up and he does finally produce something worthwhile for them, good luck to them because it was never, ever going to be for the AFC for whatever reason.

Found this article on afl.com.au

What could have been?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-24/they-could-have-been-demons

2310_MelbourneCoodabeens.jpg

Hindsight is awfully wonderful but geez Melbourne, you consistently missed hitting gold with almost every decent draft pick you got.

I look at the picture and there is only one guy I want to hit in the face, surprisingly he is in the centre of the photo too.:p

Had Melbourne drafted right over the years!?:eek:

melbourne-draft_2.jpg

In b4 "hindsight is wonderful" yadda yadda yadda.:rolleyes:

The team highlights how well the Crows have done too. (WC and Freo too)
Except we could have had about 10 of those guys too. Who didn't pass on Luke Parker? Its not likely to nail every pick in something as random as how good 18 year olds will be in 7 years.

melbourne-draft_2.jpg

First of all, a big thank you has to go to Melbourne, because I REALLY like Talia, Smith and Danger.

Secondly, would all of the above players reached the same level under the Melbourne system?

Lastly, that list playing together has Premiership potential. Sucks to be a Dee.

First of all, a big thank you has to go to Melbourne, because I REALLY like Talia, Smith and Danger.

Secondly, would all of the above players reached the same level under the Melbourne system?

Lastly, that list playing together has Premiership potential. Sucks to be a Dee.

Actually the second point you raise is very very good. Its the reason why securing a Demons early pick player even if he is a spud has potential given their success rate.

Of course there is a degree of luck, but give credit where it is due, Crows, Freo and WC have done well considering where there picks were compared to the Demons.

Its funny when reading the opinions of Melbourne posters on draft picks, they are really happy to trade them away, having seen the above team, I can see why. They literally choke at every opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't have happened because had they secured some of those players they would have been better and not had the same picks

Ahhh the classic time travel paradox. Very good observation. Lets assume that the players they recruited ended up like Watts et al.

I think thats why grabbing a young Melbourne player that went high but didnt live to potential and is either put up for trade or delisted is a worthwhile risk investment.

EDIT - It may be why we could be into Toumpas when the opportunity develops if he doesnt succeed at Melbourne.

Ahhh the classic time travel paradox. Very good observation. Lets assume that the players they recruited ended up like Watts et al.

I think thats why grabbing a young Melbourne player that went high but didnt live to potential and is either put up for trade or delisted is a worthwhile risk investment.

EDIT - It may be why we could be into Toumpas when the opportunity develops if he doesnt succeed at Melbourne.
Has Tapscott signed a contract yet?

Has Tapscott signed a contract yet?
Read in an AFL article not long ago that he remains uncontracted, which is strange at this time of year. Either he's considering walking into the draft/pre-season draft or is negotiating a better contract.

melbourne-draft_2.jpg

Tbh Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Blease, Watts could all have been better players than they are now if they weren't at Melbourne. They were the top prospects at the time - they've just had to endure shitty development.

Tbh Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Blease, Watts could all have been better players than they are now if they weren't at Melbourne. They were the top prospects at the time - they've just had to endure shitty development.

Which is probably why some Clubs should look at recruiting Melbourne's delisted players from top draft picks.

I do feel sorry for Watts, under the right environment probably could have been a star player instead of B- player at the Demons. (thats probably being generous too).

Scully has to be one of the most overpaid average players in the history of the game, kudos to him for getting the dollars. He has ensured that the rest of his life "should" be comfortable.

melbourne-draft_2.jpg

I actually found it a rediculous article, you could do this exercise for every club and it would tell a similar story

We all have perfect vision in highlight and I'm not sure how any club could get that side under the salary cap

Time to let it go mate, the point is he was never likely to produce anything half reasonable at the AFC as long as his a hole pointed to the ground, surely when he saw that no other clubs were remotely interested during last year's trade week that should have been enough reason to realise he had to pull his finger out and produce something worthwhile. If another club is brave enough to pick him up and he does finally produce something worthwhile for them, good luck to them because it was never, ever going to be for the AFC for whatever reason.
Agree his time at the AFC was done. Just think a new environment back home in melbourne could help his footy. In hindsight maybe he should of moved a few years ago.

I actually found it a rediculous article, you could do this exercise for every club and it would tell a similar story

We all have perfect vision in highlight and I'm not sure how any club could get that side under the salary cap

Actually I liked the article, it highlighted that regardless of position on the ladder, that certain clubs were able to identify good talent and develop them.

Delisted free agency starts soon. Anyone know if they're looking at anyone in there? Couple of speedsters like Blease and Lucas available.
No point being quick outside player with a poor disposal.

melbourne-draft_2.jpg

Same article, using the Crows (even with our draft sanctions)

2006:
14 James Sellar (Todd Goldstein)
32 Kurt Tippett (Kurt Tippett)
48 David Mackay (Robbie Gray)
64 Nick Gill (Sam Jacobs)
78 Bryce Campbell (Matt Suckling)

2007:
10 Patrick Dangerfield (keep him)
27 Andy Otten (Scott Thompson)
38 Myke Cook (Cale Hooker)
58 Tony Armstrong (Stefan Martin)
71 Aaron Kite (Pearce Hanley)
75 Taylor Walker (keep)
R James Moss (Shane Mumford)

2008:
10 Phil Davis (Steele Sidebottom)
28 Shaun McKernan (Dayne Beams/Dan Hannebery)
44 Rory Sloane (keep him)
60 Tom Lee (Tom Rockliff)
72 Will Young (Greg Broughton)
R Ricky Henderson (Matt DeBoer)
R Chris Schmidt (Luke Breust)

2009:
13 Daniel Talia (keep him)
29 Jack Gunston (keep him, bring Mum with him)
45 Sam Shaw (Taylor Duryea)
61 James Craig (Micheal Barlow)
R Luke Thompson (Stewart Crameri)

2010:
14 Brodie Smith (keep him)
61 Jarryd Lyons (Paul Puopolo)
R Tim Milera (Luke Dahlhaus)

2011:
27 Sam Kerridge (Brad Hill)
41 Mitch Grigg (Lachie Neale)
46 Nick Joyce (Cameron Sutcliffe)
64 Cameron Ellis-Yolman (Lee Spurr)
R Rory Laird (keep him)

2012:
62 Sam Siggins (Dean Terlich)
81 Rory Atkins (Brett Goodes)
R Kyle Hartigan (Dane Rampe)

2013:
23 Matt Crouch (Lewis Taylor or keep him)
46 Riley Knight (Tom Langdon)
R Charlie Cameron (keep him)

FB Pearce Hanley Daniel Talia Brodie Smith
HB Matt Suckling Scott Thompson Cale Hooker
C Brad Hill Tom Rockliff Rory Sloane
HF Luke Breust Kurt Tippett Steele Sidebottom
FF Robbie Gray Taylor Walker Jack Gunston
R Sam Jacobs Patrick Dangerfield Dayne Beams
I/C Luke Dahlhaus Michael Barlow Todd Goldstein Lachie Neale
Emg: Shane Mumford Paul Puopolo Stewat Crameri

We basically haven't had any high draft picks in that same time frame. And we, using their logic, could have had a ridiculously good team. Completely ignoring the fact that, if we drafted better players in 06, that would mean we would do better in 07 (maybe), then that would snowball along each year and we would have completely different draft picks.
Useless article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back