Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
Ok. After painstaking codebreaking, I have finally deciphered this post.

"TheS mall erWa rrior wish esto anno unce that theP ortA dela ideF ootb allC lubh asto daya lert edme toth efac ttha tBen Newt on,My budd y,has deci dedt opu rsue oppo rtun ities else where.

Is Sam Blease worth looking at? i know he's pacey but i rarely watch Melbourne games, Dillon (i know) wants the Crows to pick him up (as much as Kym Dillon gives me the shits he was a gee for Matt White for a couple of years).

Cats are alleged to be sniffing around Blease would be interesting to check comments on their board.

completely off subject - just realised that rookie listed players only get $53k!
Second year player only $63k - there is a HUGE difference in salaries between the have and have little's.
No wonder Paul Marshall turned down the AFL career to work in the family business.

Really disapointed that Port didn't sell Newton's spot on the list more, even though he isn't best 22 he is definately in our best 30 and all premiership lists need 30-33 players who can play week in week out.

Also mind numbingly confused as to why Kane Mitchell was kept on, numerous times this year he cost us games, solid reserves player at best.

With the way our list is shaping up for next season I'd really like us to target 2-3 genuine small forwards and let Gus, Robbie and Chad into the midfield more often, Neadey is fantastic but his size wont let him play 22 games a year so we have to back him up more.

Caleb Daniel and Jake Johansen are two guys we have to take, even though they are little they come with huge upside, Daniel has freakish fitness and endurence he would fit right in helping out Neady and Johansen is a natural leader and knows where the footy is. Both would be great for us.

Someone like Jared Petrenko would also be worth a look at, Adelaide didn't give him 23 for no reason, kid can play, under Ken and Vossy he would blossim, maybe a rookie spot.

Watching games this year our contested ball seems to relie on Ollie and Trav alot, getting someone else in to help them out would be handy, I big senior body, someone like Matt Panos would be a great get.

4 spots there (Panos, Petrenko, Daniel and Johansen) I'd like to see 1 back up ruck/defender. Sean McLaren is a name that has been linked with us he is very lanky and probably just a list clogger but gives us rediculous depth down back and in the ruck.

Big 2015 ahead, Carn the Mighty Power!

completely off subject - just realised that rookie listed players only get $53k!
Second year player only $63k - there is a HUGE difference in salaries between the have and have little's.
No wonder Paul Marshall turned down the AFL career to work in the family business.

those numbers arnt anything to sneeze at. its more than my gf earns and she is a year and a half out of uni that set her back $30000 in hecs debt and she might go on to earn 70-90 grand in time. that rookie can go on to earn 200 +

Polec got something between 90-100k in his first year with Brisbane as a top 5 draft pick.
This was in 2011, not sure how much top 5 picks would get in 2015. Might be slightly more.
Safe to say he is making around 3x that much now.

Also mind numbingly confused as to why Kane Mitchell was kept on, numerous times this year he cost us games, solid reserves player at best.

I like what Kane brings, both on & off field, he's a bloke that gets everyone up & excited.

Caleb Daniel and Jake Johansen are two guys we have to take, even though they are little they come with huge upside, Daniel has freakish fitness and endurence he would fit right in helping out Neady and Johansen is a natural leader and knows where the footy is. Both would be great for us.

Like both of them, but getting both of them is very unlikely.

Someone like Jared Petrenko would also be worth a look at, Adelaide didn't give him 23 for no reason, kid can play, under Ken and Vossy he would blossom, maybe a rookie spot.

Oh no, not Petrenko ... he is a very poor footballer

Watching games this year our contested ball seems to relie on Ollie and Trav alot, getting someone else in to help them out would be handy, I big senior body, someone like Matt Panos would be a great get.

Panos would be okay ... at a stretch, but we have more important roles to fill before Panos would come into the picture.

Going through the full list of DFA's there really is not a lot to get excited about.

Josh Simpson is probably the best footballer available ... but there is no way in hell he should be considered, like Dayle Garlett, stuff other than footy is just too important for him.

Of all the rest there is only 4 that should be of interest, and a couple of those 4 are not my cup of tea.

Shaun McKernan, Mitch Brown, Joel Hamling & Taylor Hunt.

Perhaps we should just go after best available young talent & maybe an older option?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going through the full list of DFA's there really is not a lot to get excited about.
Josh Simpson is probably the best footballer available ... but there is no way in hell he should be considered, like Dayle Garlett, stuff other than footy is just too important for him.
Of all the rest there is only 4 that should be of interest, and a couple of those 4 are not my cup of tea.
Shaun McKernan, Mitch Brown, Joel Hamling & Taylor Hunt.
Perhaps we should just go after best available young talent & maybe an older option?

Don't think we should give any of those delisted players a second chance. Taylor Hunt had an ok season a few years ago but has dropped right off.
Mitch Brown would not get a game in our team but would help Clurey in the Maggies but we should never recruit players just for the SANFL.

I think the best thing to do is get 2 or 3 young talent and 2 or 3 top state league talent that have not been given the chance at AFL level.

Polec got something between 90-100k in his first year with Brisbane as a top 5 draft pick.
This was in 2011, not sure how much top 5 picks would get in 2015. Might be slightly more.
Safe to say he is making around 3x that much now.
Remember they standardised the first contracts of all players now though. Which was what has led to a lot of confusion over Boyds contract. He will still only be getting his first 2 season contract.
If a player plays games though that keeps going up. A rookie player who comes in and plays 10-15 games thats an extra 20-30k for the year at least. Then think about little dodgy deals that all clubs do such as company cars and promotional things. For a 18-22 year old thats far more money than most would be earning.

Not against picking up Joel Hamling.

Is 195cm, but he's not quite big and strong enough to make it as a key defender in the AFL. More of a rangy Andrew Mackie/Michael Johnson type. I know it's pretty competitive for spots in the back line, but I believe Geelong ended their investment too early considering this year he's improved to finish third in the B&F. Unlikely to be us, but I see some value there.

I like what Kane brings, both on & off field, he's a bloke that gets everyone up & excited.

Like both of them, but getting both of them is very unlikely.

Oh no, not Petrenko ... he is a very poor footballer

Panos would be okay ... at a stretch, but we have more important roles to fill before Panos would come into the picture.

Kane may be a super bloke but when you are trying to win Priemierships as we are he doesn't cut the absolute elite, if we want to be an elite club we need players with an elite skill in the team, keeping Kane and upgrading him says they want to play him in the role I suggest for Daniel and Johansen and to be frank they are both going to offer more than him.

Clubs look like passing on both. All rumours say that Daniel wants to come to us and Johansen looks like being passed up all together leaving the door open for us, both would be great gets.

Having Petrenko on a rookie list isnt going to hurt anyone, he doesn't even need to play, I just think it would be interesting to see him in a good system like ours and see if he flourishes, wouldn't be the worst idea, we could get Blease or someone like that.

Panos would hold down Newton's spot thats been vacated on the list, his move to the midfield makes him a juicy option, his skills have always been okay but now he knows how to find the ball himself we would be silly not to take someone at 193cm to play in the middle, we don't have anyone of size baring Youngy and Moorey in the middle and they are only 188, adding size to the midfield is a way we can improve into next year

Not against picking up Joel Hamling.

Is 195cm, but he's not quite big and strong enough to make it as a key defender in the AFL. More of a rangy Andrew Mackie/Michael Johnson type. I know it's pretty competitive for spots in the back line, but I believe Geelong ended their investment too early considering this year he's improved to finish third in the B&F. Unlikely to be us, but I see some value there.

Hamling probably needs another year to develop, wouldn't be a horrible idea to get Gary Hocking on the phone and give him a spot in the Magpies and let Ken see him in action, maybe next year picking him up

Hamling probably needs another year to develop, wouldn't be a horrible idea to get Gary Hocking on the phone and give him a spot in the Magpies and let Ken see him in action, maybe next year picking him up
We can't sign him. Has to not play AFL or state league footy for 2 years.

$54k at 17. Where do i sign?

Kane may be a super bloke but when you are trying to win Priemierships as we are he doesn't cut the absolute elite, if we want to be an elite club we need players with an elite skill in the team

Please provide me an example of any team ever that only had elite players in it. Premierships are won by teams with the right mix of skill, grunt, commitment and having everyone willing to play their role. I'm not the biggest fan of Kane but it drives me nuts when people on here say "insert player name" is not part of our best 22 in the next premiership team so we should get rid of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back