2014 Emirates Melbourne Cup Day discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fawkner can run out the 3200m if ridden further back in the field, though not as far back as last year. It's a wide open race this year with few horses making a compelling case.

It's been a close no cigar two weeks with Rising Romance and Fawkner so close.

Not a knock on Fawkner, been great all prep but has had great gates with run of race every start. Would need that again to be a chance to get 2 mile.

Nah has blown out to 30s - i.e. where he should have been all along.

Havent minded his runs this prep actually on unfavourable good tracks, but been dead set against due to the unders as you say.

Will keep an eye on the forecast from here on in, if we get some rain he could run a race at proper odds now ($30+)

Interested to know thoughts from the international experts on Willing Foe?

2nd to Seismos last start doesn't inspire me with any great confidence but looks a moral to run the trip.

Also Cavalryman? Going better than this time two years ago despite being 8? Like the fact he enjoy firms ground. Not a good ride by Dettori two years ago so can be forgiven for the 12th place.

Last edited:
Roger James has confirmed that Silent Achiever won't run in the MC.

Araldo is 33 in the OOE. By my reckoning there's at least 7 above him in the OOE who are definite non-runners.

Why is everyone so keen on Admire Rakti?

Unknown international raider I agree but did manage to dig up this obscure form reference which may assist?

Interested to know thoughts from the international experts on Willing Foe?

2nd to Seismos last start doesn't inspire me with any great confidence but looks a moral to run the trip.

Also Cavalryman? Going better than this time two years ago despite being 8? Like the fact he enjoy firms ground. Not a good ride by Dettori two years ago so can be forgiven for the 12th place.

Willing Foe is my pick of the European internationals. Has more tactical speed than Seismos and that race where they met was WF's first run from a long LONG break after injury. He then ran ok in a farcically run Irish St Leger (beat Royal Diamond and Pale Mimosa).

Calvaryman had his chance last time - Surely too old and too slow these days.

Time and secs indicate it was just an ok cup at best, and now has 58.5. No thanks.

His Japan Cup run made me think they might be a bit brilliant for him over 2400 yet he was still too good.

Better suited in the Melbourne Cup for mine and will relish the 3200.

Not a price id take now, but should he be favourite and has undeniable winning claims.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Godolphin pair have been discussed here previously, agree with Paris.
Doubt Willing Foe can win but he's the better hope of the 2, Cavalryman is 9yo

seth

His Japan Cup run made me think they might be a bit brilliant for him over 2400 yet he was still too good.

Better suited in the Melbourne Cup for mine and will relish the 3200.

Not a price id take now, but should he be favourite and has undeniable winning claims.

Also remember his 58 in the CC was really a 56 but the limit was raised. Compressed weight scale there, he now carries 58.5 on a proper limit. Of course he COULD win, but he's gross, gross unders.

That's what the racebook will say due to the different north and south breeding seasons, but he was foaled in 2006 so is really only an 8yo. The Cox Plate winner is actually a 3yo.

Yes I get that,8 or 9 wont matter as they dont win Melb Cups.
Especially at their 2nd try

seth

Yes I get that,8 or 9 wont matter as they dont win Melb Cups.
Especially at their 2nd try

seth

Red Cadeaux ran a pretty bloody good race as an 8yo last year at his 2nd try.

Forgive me, i didn't realise we are only trying to find the winner of the Melbourne Cup in this thread, rather than discussing each runners form/merits. Sorry my bad.

Think ruling a horse out just because of age is pretty bad. Give me form over age any day.

Is there many threads here where we spend 3 months trying to find the placings?
Found Give The Slip one year at 100/1+ & still not over it despite running 2nd at those odds

seth

Havent minded his runs this prep actually on unfavourable good tracks, but been dead set against due to the unders as you say.

Will keep an eye on the forecast from here on in, if we get some rain he could run a race at proper odds now ($30+)

Seth

2 issues with The Offer

1) Weights - The horse is on the small side and is struggling with weights - And Melb cup weights being increased by 2kg making The Offer go from 54 1/2 to 56 1/2 will hamper his chances.

2) Tracks - I posted a week or two ago about the unseasonally dry tracks in Melbourne - The Offer needs a dead 5 or 6 to win the cup - The law of averages says we will get one track like this in the next two weights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back