AFL Hierarchy's disposition towards Hawthorn?

• Thread starter BOP66
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess sprouting this paranoid nonsense on a forum is a lot cheaper than paying for a psychiatrist. Unfortunately you won't find the prescription you so obviously need here.
look in the mirror me anything pal. U know what BF can go & get

BOP66, I think you've taken a reasonable assumption, that is - the AFL are indifferent to our success, and painted yourself further and further into the silly corner with talk of outright conspiracy to purposely put roadblocks to our competitiveness.
If we have had no favors, it's because winners aren't seen to need them.
If others have been given breaks, it's because a competition is only just that when teams are competitive.
Yes TV money etc is ultimately vital to growing our sport, but the truth is that the Aussie populace need a reason to follow and spend money on our game and give it the passion that drives it ever forward. Stand still, even for 5 to 10 years, and other sports will happily walk by.
I get where you come from, but your ultimate peace of mind should come from knowing you support the HFC, and that nothing, nothing stops our Club in it's quest for success.
So just walk on mate, know that we earn ALL our cups, there are no cheapies, and glorious deeds are what define us.
What other clubs or supporters think doesn't matter, because we've done it the Hard Way, and can you think of any other way more satisfying?

I have no feeling that the AFL hates Hawthorn at all. Supporters from every club have reason to rant every now an then, we're no different. We've earned the "right" to tough draws and late draft picks because of our success. And over the last few years I think that has actually been a benefit. It makes us tougher and better prepared come finals time.

Gee all I made was an observation there Ok. & it was plain to see to all & sundry that the officialdom were not happy we won!
I don't appreciate being called stupid or idiotic either thanks!
& while we're here & I really don't give a proverbial that it makes me sound paranoid, but you can not deny that the bleeders get an easier run than we do in terms of the fixture.

*2012 we were the higher ranking side had a less day break in the PF thanks to the AFL's blunder of not booking the ANZ stadium properly.
*look at our start to the season in 2013 compared to the Swans who were the premiers in 2012

Hey the AFL go on all about equalization but I don't see it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing & it's a testament to our great & wonderful club that we got the chocs in '13 & '14.
Dam it so people can't come on here & give an opinion?
Well guess what pal I'll keep coming & If I feel I got to vent, I'll vent.

It's this assumption that I disagree with, I don't think it was plain to see that the officialdom were not happy we won. I think you are seeing things in facial expressions that are just not there. I do agree with you to some extent that we have had the rough end of the pineapple with regard to some AFL decisions but I don't see the facial expressions of officialdom on GF day as evidence to back that up.

Gee all I made was an observation there Ok. & it was plain to see to all & sundry that the officialdom were not happy we won!
I don't appreciate being called stupid or idiotic either thanks!
& while we're here & I really don't give a proverbial that it makes me sound paranoid, but you can not deny that the bleeders get an easier run than we do in terms of the fixture.

*2012 we were the higher ranking side had a less day break in the PF thanks to the AFL's blunder of not booking the ANZ stadium properly.
*look at our start to the season in 2013 compared to the Swans who were the premiers in 2012

Hey the AFL go on all about equalization but I don't see it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing & it's a testament to our great & wonderful club that we got the chocs in '13 & '14.

It works like this ....

You have every right to have an opinion and we have every right to tell you that your opinion is stupid (please note the distinction between this and us calling YOU stupid).

You also have every right to be offended and we also have every right not to care if you're offended.

Last edited:
I guess sprouting this paranoid nonsense on a forum is a lot cheaper than paying for a psychiatrist. Unfortunately you won't find the prescription you so obviously need here.

Can the personal shite mate....If you disagree with a poster then say why....Your comments are malicious & ridiculous, & have no place in this forum!

The reason for this post is just an observation I've made following the '13 & '14 Premierships.
Twice when the cameras have focused on Demetriou in "13 & Gil/Fitzpatrick in '14, both times they didn't look impressed at all. In fact the term a face that has just sucked a lemon look is so apt.
I know the AFL despises us & seeing us successful must be a dagger to their heart, but gee the blatant & obvious disdain is totally unprofessional!
Now granted after the 2012 GF which I've not watched a second of the replay, does anyone know how the fat controller (Demitriou) behaved?

Brilliant post. So glad it isn't just me who noticed this also.
Former head pig in AFL House demetriou looked pretty pissed off in the aftermath of 2008 as well

All and sundry?? What a load of crap.

I disagree with you so that makes it all and sundry minus one for a start..

Vent all you want. Having an opinion is fine. But you started a new thread, expect to be called out. Especially when the OP contains the same baseless, paranoid, self-involved arguments we've all heard a thousand times.

If you pop across to the swans board they believe that Fitzpatrick, Dillon and Langford are determined to see them fail.
Every club thinks they are hard done by and I'm sure there are little things that do occur that give some teams an advantage and other teams - not so much but at the end of the day, it is going to be absolutely impossible to please 18 teams

If you pop across to the swans board they believe that Fitzpatrick, Dillon and Langford are determined to see them fail.
Every club thinks they are hard done by and I'm sure there are little things that do occur that give some teams an advantage and other teams - not so much but at the end of the day, it is going to be absolutely impossible to please 18 teams

Perhaps you should drop em a little reminder of their 2014 Draw.....Not to mention their 2012 Finals re-drawn gift-wrapped pressie....Oh, wait, that was their Godfather Demetriou wasn't it,,,,Carry on then!

Perhaps you should drop em a little reminder of their 2014 Draw.....Not to mention their 2012 Finals re-drawn gift-wrapped pressie....Oh, wait, that was their Godfather Demetriou wasn't it,,,,Carry on then!

And they will remind you of the travelling they do
They will remind you of the home ground advantage the hawks get corm finals
It's a merry go round

And they will remind you of the travelling they do
They will remind you of the home ground advantage the hawks get corm finals
It's a merry go round

Cept we've had to overcome obstacle after obstacle to win Back to Backs of our own volition, whilst they were virtually gifted 2005 (Barry Hall- Tribunal) & 2012 (Finals Fixture Railroading).

They have absolutely no foot to stand on in whingeing & whining about the current AFL trade embargo enforced upon them.

They flaunted their COLA with the purchases of Tippett & Franklin & proceeded to rub every other clubs collective noses in it thereafter!

Their supposed 'punishment' here is little more than a slap on the wrist & yet they cry & wail like the self-entitled spoilt brats of the AFL they have become.

Lets hope they receive a commensurate 2015 fixture to that of the Hawthorn football club....Then lets see em secure a top 2 position on merit!....Now that's sumfin I'd like to see!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cept we've had to overcome obstacle after obstacle to win Back to Backs of our own volition, whilst they were virtually gifted 2005 (Barry Hall- Tribunal) & 2012 (Finals Fixture Railroading).

They have absolutely no foot to stand on in whingeing & whining about the current AFL trade embargo enforced upon them.

They flaunted their COLA with the purchases of Tippett & Franklin & proceeded to rub every other clubs collective noses in it thereafter!

Their supposed 'punishment' here is little more than a slap on the wrist & yet they cry & wail like the self-entitled spoilt brats of the AFL they have become.

Lets hope they receive a commensurate 2015 fixture to that of the Hawthorn football club....Then lets see em secure a top 2 position on merit!....Now that's sumfin I'd like to see!

DudeWaiting.gif

Procrastinator35, you seriously don't think that extra day is what cost the hawks the GF in 2012

I don't like cola, never have but to slap a ban on them like this is ridiculous and IMO totally illegal. If they have a reason, then be transparent and let all of us know instead of this cloak of silence which allows rumor and innuendo to gather and build.

Procrastinator35, you seriously don't think that extra day is what cost the hawks the GF in 2012

I don't like cola, never have but to slap a ban on them like this is ridiculous and IMO totally illegal. If they have a reason, then be transparent and let all of us know instead of this cloak of silence which allows rumor and innuendo to gather and build.

I'm thinking the reason is that Sydney made a big, stupid, multi-year bid for either Frawley or Ryder - so the AFL put an end of their shenanigans.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.

The AFL are unhappy the COLA team let them down with a most disappointing performance in the Grand Final!:D

Been on record many a time in nominating it as a key factor in deciding that match given it wasn't decided till the final minutes!....Pretty sure other Hawks posters feel the same way bout it.....There was a myriad of options before Demetriou & Anderson, yet they chose the one which most benefited Sydney & punished Hawthorn.....Co-incidence???? I think not!....And in so doing, overturned a 100 years of tradition where the side finishing first is duly rewarded for the effort!

That's 2 strong elements upon which to found such an argument!

The Swans have been gifted advantages over the rest of the comp by the AFL for over a decade now. So to my mind, the AFL then has every right to withdraw those advantages where they see fit. Most especially so if they feel those advantages have been so flagrantly flaunted & manipulated in the manner & way in which they have been!...Rumour & innuendo is no argument & has no logical foundation or basis in a reasonable person's mind....Nor should it!

AFL like every other sport 'need' tent pole high achieving clubs, if for nothing but have a couple of recognized performers for the uninitiated..basically, when a newbie asks "which teams to look out for or which team losing causes big fuss?" Then someone can point to Hawthorn, Collingwood and now Cats & Swans etc.. Usually in time, this changes but as a "body" you still need at least two much loved/hated overachieving clubs to point at how awesome their establishment is through either the ever growing Trophy Cabinet , Big crowds or both! Hawthorn along with Collingwood meet these needs. That's just my opinion considering I only really know a few Champion Teams in NBA or EPL as Major Representitives of that Competetion. My point? All Competitions need a 'constant' trend setter or two and then you hope the Challengers catch up and make it into a 'Event' competition. So no, I don't think the AFL hate Hawthorn as such.

They have absolutely no foot to stand on in whingeing & whining

You're right about the fact that whingeing and whining is lame. It's a very good reason to avoid doing it. In every aspect of life you get things going against you. It doesn't mean that they're calculated or orchestrated. Most people have a sense of perspective about the fact that life is a series of swings and rounds-abouts. Others however choose to focus only on the negatives and in doing manage to convince themselves that they're victims of some sinister plot to get them. Whenever I hear someone doing that I feel the urge to remind them to exercise perspective and that it goes both ways, if for nothing else than for their state of mind. It must be bloody tiring suspecting everyone of foul play.

You're right about the fact that whingeing and whining is lame. It's a very good reason to avoid doing it. In every aspect of life you get things going against you. It doesn't mean that they're calculated or orchestrated. Most people have a sense of perspective about the fact that life is a series of swings and rounds-abouts. Others however choose to focus only on the negatives and in doing manage to convince themselves that they're victims of some sinister plot to get them. Whenever I hear someone doing that I feel the urge to remind them to exercise perspective and that it goes both ways, if for nothing else than for their state of mind. It must be bloody tiring suspecting everyone of foul play.

Struth seysearles....Sumfin bout hasty generalisations, & tarring with a very broad paint brush indeed!

As previously stipulated, my opinion re the current AFL admin is withheld until due course....My critique above relates to the previous admin which chalked up a mountain of dastardly deeds too numerous to mention much less keep a track of!

The simplest example of their duplicity & manipulation that comes to mind as most blatant & relevant here, would be the Buddy compensation....But if you think that decision was even remotely fair & within the ball-park figure for what we ought to have received in return for him, then best of luck to you mate!

I'm more than satisfied with the Back to Back flags & believe that it was the pain of both 2011 & the injustices of 2012 which spurred us on to this achievement....They even somewhat dim the pain of the 2 seasons which proceeded them....But this in no way excuses the injustices perpetrated at our expense beforehand!

Once again & for your benefit: At no time ever in the 118 year history of the VFL/AFL, was the top team penalised or not receive its due reward come finals time other than in the season of 2012!....I'll leave that one at your doorstep in order for you to ponder over then shall I!

Last edited:
Struth seysearles....Sumfin bout hasty generalisations, & tarring with a very broad paint brush indeed!

As previously stipulated, my opinion re the current AFL admin is withheld until due course....My critique above relates to the previous admin which chalked up a mountain of dastardly deeds too numerous to mention much less keep a track of!

The simplest example of their duplicity & manipulation that comes to mind as most blatant & relevant here, would be the Buddy compensation....But if you think that decision was even remotely fair & within the ball-park figure for what we ought to have received in return for him, then best of luck to you mate!

I'm more than satisfied with the Back to Back flags & believe that it was the pain of both 2011 & the injustices of 2012 which spurred us on to this achievement....They even somewhat dim the pain of the 2 seasons which proceeded them....But this in no way excuses the injustices perpetrated at our expense beforehand!

Once again & for your benefit: At no time ever in the 118 year history of the AFL, was the top team penalised or not receive its due reward come finals time other than in the season of 2012!....I'll leave that one at your doorstep in order for you to ponder over then shall I!

Well, I would like to think that I am able to put all the issues that you mention into perspective as inconvenient consequences of bigger events taking place and not a personal vendetta. In fact i'm quite proud that we have succeeded in the face of whatever adversity we have faced. Quite possibly we have succeeded because of it. Have you ever considered that? I just think playing the victim card is lame and well un-Hawthorn. We're supposed to ride the bumps with a grin, not ride them with a whinge.

Last edited:
The Swans got the first prelim in 2012 because of contractual obligations surrounding ANZ stadium. The NRL rightfully had first dibs, so the AFL really had no choice. I was still angry at the decision - but the statement that they had a 'myriad' (which means infinite - so that's a broad statement) of options is a bit of a furphy.

They likely couldn't move to the SCG as the contractual obligation would have been costly, plus there would have been less attendance also which would result in less revenue. The SCG probably wasn't even available as it would have been in the process of being modified for cricket. What other decision was there? Play their game at 2 PM on the Saturday and then modify the ground for League markings? Do you really think the NRL would allow that? How would the logistics work, it would be a nightmare getting one lot of fans out before two lots of fans move back in by 7:30.

The AFL is a commercial organisation, like it or not. The most commercially viable decision was to do what they did. Did it hamper us slightly? Yes. Did it cost us the game? Debatable. Numerous players not turning up for the game didn't really help. But I really don't think Vlad was in his office, stroking a white car while laughing maniacally with his grand scheme coming to fruition like some movie villain. It was a really unfortunate situation that we bore the brunt of. However, the decision making was purely commercial and had zero to do with 'let's get Hawthorn!!! Mwahahaha'.

Well, I would like to think that I am able to put all the issues that you mention into perspective as inconvenient consequences of bigger events taking place and not a personal vendetta. In fact i'm quite proud that we have succeeded in the face of whatever adversity we have faced. Quite possibly we have succeeded because of it. Have you ever considered that? I just think playing the victim card is lame and well un-Hawthorn. We're supposed to ride the bumps with a grin, not ride them with a whinge.

This kind of comment reminds of Swans posters on the main board pre this years Grand Final result & subsequent trade embargo....When ever another poster would bring up Cola, or Tippett/Buddy, or their favorable draw both in 2014 & 2012; their stock-standard come-back was whinge this, whine that!....Well guess who is whining & whingeing ad nauseum now?....They are!

Since when has the stipulation of facts prefaced upon the principles of equity, fairness & a level playing field constituted whingeing/whining????

In that case then every defense lawyer in every court in the land must be a whinger & a whiner!!!!....Please put an end to this ridiculous ad hominen argument as it insults any thinking man's intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back