Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You only need to see the views of some on here who grew up and lived that electorate to see why he was in there for 30 years too long.

Wilson Tuckey was a hero to people in O'Connor. For all his faults, he always fought viciously for the rights of mining, farming, fishing and forestry industries to keep doing their jobs in the face of increasingly crazy opposition from Greens and clueless city dwellers.

Should we count all of the politicians who have been heroes to their electorates and/or countries because they have done such a wonderful job representing their constituents' interests? At the risk of Godwining the thread maybe not.

Crazy Greens and clueless city dwellers... such a quaint way of thinking.

You just did.

There is a difference between

a) brainwashing an impoverished nation and killing people who don't support you;
b) and standing up for your electorates needs.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...the-boats-richard-marles-20141026-11bym6.html

The opposition says it still has "anxieties" over the controversial policy of turning back asylum seeker boats but says it "might" continue the practice in Government if Indonesia backed the idea. Only one asylum seeker boat has successfully made to Australian waters in 2014, compared to 401 boat voyages made in 2013, which mostly occured under the former Labor government.
The opposition's immigration spokesman Richard Marles conceded that the turnbacks policy Labor opposed in Government had "had an impact" in reducing the flow of boats from Indonesia to practically nil.

The backtracking is nearly complete

Wilson Tuckey was a hero to people in O'Connor. For all his faults, he always fought viciously for the rights of mining, farming, fishing and forestry industries to keep doing their jobs in the face of increasingly crazy opposition from Greens and clueless city dwellers.

Hardly.

He was a reflection of the backward, inward-looking, desperate to return to the Menzies era, mind-set of the electorate.

The guy was a clueless, arrogant and self-serving pig, and I state that from personal experience over decades as a member of his electorate who had the misfortune of having to 'deal' with him on countless occasions.

There was a hell of a lot of people who genuinely hated his guts.

Hardly.

He was a reflection of the backward, inward-looking, desperate to return to the Menzies era, mind-set of the electorate.

The guy was a clueless, arrogant and self-serving pig, and I state that from personal experience over decades as a member of his electorate who had the misfortune of having to 'deal' with him on countless occasions.

There was a hell of a lot of people who genuinely hated his guts.

I don't think you liked him very much, I saw him as more of a BOOFHEAD. However, I don't agree that he was clueless but do agree he was arrogant and very much self serving with a distinct dislike of our indigenous bretheren.

I don't think you liked him very much, I saw him as more of a BOOFHEAD. However, I don't agree that he was clueless but do agree he was arrogant and very much self serving with a distinct dislike of our indigenous bretheren.

I am, and have been, quite openly hostile towards the man.

As you quite rightly say, he hated Aboriginals, despite some entirely transparent attempts in public to state otherwise.

Anything which could be considered as remotely 'conservation', even pressing issues such as farmland salinity, was rubbished by him as "a green conspiracy".

I stand by what I say, he was clueless, and his lack of promotion in the government over so many years would say that his Liberal Party superiors thought the same.

You just did.
How so?

There is a difference between

a) brainwashing an impoverished nation and killing people who don't support you;
b) and standing up for your electorates needs.
That's a very extreme comparison don't you think?

Tuckey was the sort of politician who would talk about secession just to make his constituents feel important. That'll get you re-elected but does nothing for the national interest which is ultimately why we elect Federal MPs.

How so?

That's a very extreme comparison don't you think?

Tuckey was the sort of politician who would talk about secession just to make his constituents feel important. That'll get you re-elected but does nothing for the national interest which is ultimately why we elect Federal MPs.

who determines national interest?

I think when the ALP adopted LNP policy on asylum seekers (in its death throes) the backtracking was complete mate? Anyway, the ALP is hardly likely to criticise existing policy this far out from a federal election on such a divisive issue. I'm sure they're quite enjoying leading the 2PP even if it is purely iron pyrite that they're banking.

who determines national interest?
Well, it's like this mate...

there's this thing called "the world", and there's another thing called "our country" and then there's this much smaller thing called "the seat of O'Connor".

The first two, they're more reflective of national interest. Wilson never had any interest in either except for where they directly benefited the 3rd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, it's like this mate...

there's this thing called "the world", and there's another thing called "our country" and then there's this much smaller thing called "the seat of O'Connor".

The first two, they're more reflective of national interest. Wilson never had any interest in either except for where they directly benefited the 3rd.

Why should an MP have an extended interest in the world? he is there to represent his electorate.

Others are there to represent their electorate others are more ambitious.

I'll just repeat this for you...

Yes, I am fully aware that you consider yourself superior to all the ignorant rednecks you live alongside. In actuality, we don't vote Labor in O'Connor because Labor has decades of form of being hostile to the agriculture and mining industries. Even if people wanted to, Labor gives them no choice.

Last Labor government banned live export and made noises with their coalition partners of moving to ban coal. How could anyone involved in either industry possibly consider voting for the party that wants to shut us down?

Regardless of the other slight differences between Labor and Liberals, that glaring fact means that O'Connor will be a safe Liberal/National seat until the end of time.

And you are completely wrong about the makeup of the electorate nowadays. Very few people living in O'Connor can even remember the Menzies era. That lot have all moved to Albany or Mandurah to retire. But even young people who live in regional WA can't afford to vote for Labor with their stated goal of killing off the industry they have spent their lives working in.

No, I'm sure people who voted for the Nats were looked upon considerably more favourably, since the Nats aren't trying to destroy the industries that the region relies on. Labor and Greens are.

Is this where you falsely state, yet again, that Scott Ludlam, is actively promoting the end of agriculture and mining nationwide?

Yes, I am fully aware that you consider yourself superior to all the ignorant rednecks you live alongside. In actuality, we don't vote Labor in O'Connor because Labor has decades of form of being hostile to the agriculture and mining industries. Even if people wanted to, Labor gives them no choice.

Yeah, my comment in regards to farmland salinity was so condescending.

People such as yourself, and the vast majority of Tuckeyites, have been dragged kicking and screaming into the modern age.

Me superior? I don't think so. I am actually an advocate for change and equality for all.

Is this where you falsely state, yet again, that Scott Ludlam, is actively promoting the end of agriculture and mining nationwide?

Not just Scott Ludlum. Remember when the Labor minister for agriculture banned Live Exports because of a TV show on the ABC?

We do.

Not just Scott Ludlum. Remember when the Labor minister for agriculture banned Live Exports because of a TV show on the ABC?

We do.

No s**t? And when did you see me defending it? It was an appalling decision.

I like how you reckon that you have me fingered as some hard leftie. It is quite amusing.

Why should an MP have an extended interest in the world? he is there to represent his electorate.

Others are there to represent their electorate others are more ambitious.
Let me help you out mate. Here's a recent iteration of an oath that pretty consistently through the years has required Federal MPs to serve their country. Yes, they represent their electorate in determining what's best for Australia.

Oath of Office (2010)

I, [Minister’s full name], do swear that I will well and truly serve the Commonwealth of Australia in the office of [position]. So help me God!

Affirmation of Office (2010)

I, [Minister’s full name], do solemnly and sincerely affirm and declare that I will well and truly serve the Commonwealth of Australia in the office of [position][71]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back