Mega Thread Oh yeah ... did you know there are 17 other teams? - General AFL discussion #9 - Blues posters only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys had a rough night ? Try being a Melbourne City fan at Etihad Stadium tonight .. My worst experience at a live sporting event since Australia lost to Iran at the WC Qualifier in 1997. I wish i could somehow erase tonight's debacle from my mind forever ..

I was at that WC match, flight back to Adelaide sucked

I understand, I really do. I normally take my saints supporting nephew to our game every year but we'll miss out on that next year. It is a lot to expect of supporters and I worry that the AFL will alienate members and supporters from our club/city/country in an attempt to grow the game.

Take him with you as well. #byebyeromanticgetaway

So I suppose this isn't the thread to be happy about being young, single and able to go to NZ next year on Anzac Day? I suppose I shouldn't say I'm looking forward to it either?

On a serious note, maybe we'll play one less game interstate to compensate for the NZ game? Given memberships increased by just over $100, we might still have 17 games in Melbourne. It's a bit steep increasing membership by that amount AND only playing 16 games in Melbourne.

Guess we'll see on Thursday

The obvious difference is that when we play interstate we aren't playing another Victorian club.

Sending us to play St.Kilda in NZ removes access to seeing the game for the majority of our members and supporters. As much as i disliked the Monday night game at least we were able to make the choice to go watch it live.

If St.Kilda want to play there they should play interstate sides who would have to travel to play them anyway.

I'm sorry but i can't celebrate the AFL further removing my ability to see my club play.
To be fair, its only one game. And really, why not take our brand over the ditch to NZ where other people can fall in love with our footy team.

I really don't see what the big deal is.

It's a contrived gimmick of a game. The sooner the AFL gives its futile attempts to conquer the world away the better. Ok for you to simply flap off to another state or country to watch your team. People miss out, you should give a ****.
Pull your head in Thy.
If this game was on a Monday night alot of people miss out as well.

So I suppose this isn't the thread to be happy about being young, single and able to go to NZ next year on Anzac Day? I suppose I shouldn't say I'm looking forward to it either?

On a serious note, maybe we'll play one less game interstate to compensate for the NZ game? Given memberships increased by just over $100, we might still have 17 games in Melbourne. It's a bit steep increasing membership by that amount AND only playing 16 games in Melbourne.

I'm actually contemplating going across as well.

I'm actually contemplating going across as well.

I've never been to NZ so I'm going to go for an extended holiday :) Just waiting for the full fixture to be released so I can see how long I can go for without missing the footy either side of Anzac Day :D

My wife's grandmother and the great grandmother of our children barracks for the Blues.
She's a born and bred Kiwi,like my missus.
A lot of their family and friends follow the Blues.
FTW

Last edited:

Try paying $135 for just one game. You Melbourne based people really have nothing to complain about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish they would schedule 5 games in Adelaide, or even 2, it's been many years since Blues played here twice in a season :(

So pay the $50 membership and then pay for a seat at Adelaide Oval for the one game you do get. Cheaper

It's not a matter of one game or not, it's ANOTHER game that has been scheduled which most people have no hope of either attending or watching live on television. Another game which excludes the involvement of so many supporters including kids. Too much emphasis on the dollar and scant regard for the people as happens with almost every decision to do with the AFL these days.
Am I disappointed that I miss out on an extra game? definitely, considering that my own footy in the country limits the amount of friday night and saturday games that I can get to. It isn't the end of the world either though and I don't get the histrionics when many wouldn't have attended had the game been played in it's regular Monday night slot anyway.. (not directed at you in particular)

Come on guys, no need to crack it because you don't agree with each other.

For those that can afford to go it will be a bit of a novelty, something a bit different. For those who can't go then it's a bit of a kick in the teeth...a melbourne based club playing a melbourne based team in another country...riiight.
Surely everyone can see the two sides to this.
Ever the peacemaker MEB. :thumbsu:
You're spot on though.

Haven't been there. Good excuse for a holiday. Fortunately I'll likely be in a position to be able to do it.

Flights aren't that great at the moment. No doubt they'll release NZ specials between now and then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back