Tom Boyd vs Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how Boyd will go this year?

Do Doggies fans think he'll play all games - or will he be eased in as a second year player, with say 10-15 games?

I think Hogan will play 15+ but that's partly to do with his running game, and also that he's been at Melbourne 2 years now (first year playing VFL as a 17 year old, second year resting his back).

Not too sure how we'll go about it. We literally have no one else to take the #1 KPF spot.

Question for you that you never answered last time i posted it to you, what club did you defect from to start supporting the Giants?

Im a Sydneysider that was predominantly a rugby league supporter (Canterbury Bulldogs) and had a casual interest in AFL until moving down to Melbourne.

If anything I followed the Swans but never was a member and never attended a game.

GWS represents the area I grew up in, I am a member and follow them passionately.

You guys can call us plastic and whatever but we have a loyal if somewhat small following and in time we will grow.

It's really arrogant to ask questions like that. Most new teams have supporters that have to change and most of those supporters do so because the new clubs are more representative of where they come from. Every club has to start from somewhere.

If people wonder why GWS management is feisty and some of us fans the same consider the fact we constantly have to justify our existence to people like you.

What the AFL is doing is very hard and will take a lot of time but eventually the entire competition will benefit from having two strong AFL sides in Sydney.

Last edited:
Im a Sydneysider that was predominantly a rugby league supporter (Canterbury Bulldogs) and had a casual interest in AFL until moving down to Melbourne.

If anything I followed the Swans but never was a member and never attended a game.

GWS represents the area I grew up in, I am a member and follow them passionately.

You guys can call us plastic and whatever but we have a loyal if somewhat small following and in time we will grow.

It's really arrogant to ask questions like that. Most new teams have supporters that have to change and most of those supporters do so because the new clubs are more representative of where they come from. Every club has to start from somewhere.

If people wonder why GWS management is feisty and some of us fans the same consider the fact we constantly have to justify our existence to people like you.

What the AFL is doing is very hard and will take a lot of time but eventually the entire competition will benefit from having two strong AFL sides in Sydney.
Don't get your big panties in a knot, was a curiosity question, and for the record i agree each knew side has to start somewhere, but most Giants supporters wouldn't have a tale like yours, as in grew up in the area not following A.F.L until the Giants were formed. And if you want to get on your high horse and be sensitive about your knew formed club, don't go applauding and contributing to the bagging of other long term sides of the competition about relevance then good day champ ;)

Pre draft i always liked hogan more. Big tank and a beast

Now that we know slightly more, you'd say Boyd is a little Hawkins-like and Hogan is a little Reiwoldt-like (with a bit more bash and crash).

Just in playing style - not ability.

I'm happy with Hogan, but we'll need another forward who will spend more time closer to goals.

Bulldogs probably still need a hard running CHF to get to the wings.
Geez wouldn't they be ridiculous in the same team!

You guys should probably take McCartin as that deep forward type, and that is a pretty bloody perfect set up.

Wish we could have held on to pick 6 and grabbed Wright as that CHF but ah well. Agree we still need a hard running CHF, personally I reckon Bontempelli could play that role. He's 194cm with long arms, and wouldn't be surprised to see him grow a little more too (late birthday and all that), he has a frame which looks like it could put on a lot of weight, he already had a huge tank when he got to the club and should probably end up with a Nick Riewoldt like tank, great contested mark, smart etc and even held down a KPF spot pretty bloody well in just his first year at times this year which is pretty unheard of. Just seems like he has all the attributes IMO and it makes sense, but he also offers such a point of difference in the midfield that its hard to take him away.

Boyd and Bonts could make a very elite FF/CHF pair IMO and that is just unheard of for dogs fans :p, throw in Stringer (who broke out towards the end of the year kicking 22 from 9 games) and Crameri as 3rd/4th talls and move Dahlhaus back closer to goal and we finally look like having a forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez wouldn't they be ridiculous in the same team!

You guys should probably take McCartin as that deep forward type, and that is a pretty bloody perfect set up.

Wish we could have held on to pick 6 and grabbed Wright as that CHF but ah well. Agree we still need a hard running CHF, personally I reckon Bontempelli could play that role. He's 194cm with long arms, and wouldn't be surprised to see him grow a little more too (late birthday and all that), he has a frame which looks like it could put on a lot of weight, he already had a huge tank when he got to the club and should probably end up with a Nick Riewoldt like tank, great contested mark, smart etc and even held down a KPF spot pretty bloody well in just his first year at times this year which is pretty unheard of. Just seems like he has all the attributes IMO and it makes sense, but he also offers such a point of difference in the midfield that its hard to take him away.

Boyd and Bonts could make a very elite FF/CHF pair IMO and that is just unheard of for dogs fans :p, throw in Stringer (who broke out towards the end of the year kicking 22 from 9 games) and Crameri as 3rd/4th talls and move Dahlhaus back closer to goal and we finally look like having a forward line.

Agree would love a forward setup of Boyd, Stringer, Bontempelli, Crameri, Dahlhaus and hopefully McLean (who we can get with a pick in the 40's). Minson, Libba, Macrae, Wallis, Hrovat, JJ, Hunter, Stevens, Boyd all to hold down the midfield next year and then we probably add another top 5 midfield pick in the 2015 draft or trade in a gun midfielder. Bonts and Stringer can push into the middle on occasions but I'd love to see a similar structure we had against the bombers late in the year with Redpath, Bontempelli, Stringer and Crameri all forward and we swap Redpath for Boyd. Made us look dangerous. Losing Wallis was the reason we lost that game plus a terrible defence.

Agree would love a forward setup of Boyd, Stringer, Bontempelli, Crameri, Dahlhaus and hopefully McLean (who we can get with a pick in the 40's). Minson, Libba, Macrae, Wallis, Hrovat, JJ, Hunter, Stevens, Boyd all to hold down the midfield next year and then we probably add another top 5 midfield pick in the 2015 draft or trade in a gun midfielder. Bonts and Stringer can push into the middle on occasions but I'd love to see a similar structure we had against the bombers late in the year with Redpath, Bontempelli, Stringer and Crameri all forward and we swap Redpath for Boyd. Made us look dangerous. Losing Wallis was the reason we lost that game plus a terrible defence.
Yeah agree with all that, only problem I've got with that forward line is the 2nd ruck. But if we have all of Roughy, Roberts, Talia and Z Cordy(Moz in the short term, Cordy long term) in the backline (pretty tall but I think its balanced and versatile enough) leaving Rough to play on the 2nd ruck/tallest forward and just being the general of the backline, chopping across taking intercept marks etc, we have enough support down there to allow him to follow his man into the ruck, meaning we don't have to carry an Ayce Cordy type in the forward line.

When you add our big bodied mids into that, thats an insanely tall/big bodied team across the park, love it though.

Yeah agree with all that, only problem I've got with that forward line is the 2nd ruck. But if we have all of Roughy, Roberts, Talia and Z Cordy(Moz in the short term, Cordy long term) in the backline (pretty tall but I think its balanced and versatile enough) leaving Rough to play on the 2nd ruck/tallest forward and just being the general of the backline, chopping across taking intercept marks etc, we have enough support down there to allow him to follow his man into the ruck, meaning we don't have to carry an Ayce Cordy type in the forward line.

When you add our big bodied mids into that, thats an insanely tall/big bodied team across the park, love it though.

Don't think we neccasarily have to play 4 tall defenders as such but I agree that Roughead should give the chop out nearly all the time. Keeping in mind we can all have on occasions Boyd, Bontempelli and Roberts giving a chop out/third man up to help Will. Unless Z.Cordy can become like a mackie type then I think our future backline with say Roughead, 2 of Talia/Roberts/Hamling and Z. Cordy is a little to big particularly when we have Wood in there as well who could play on the Crameri, Membrey types. Boyd is bigger than Minson so in a couple of seasons he should be able to take some of the forward line stoppages/throw ins although I'd be loathe to do it too often.

Its a issue none the less because if Campbell became the number 1 ruck then I want adequate support for him. Bit of a dilemma along with our KPD and outside running stocks.

When his competition was Gus.

Not sure I'd be hanging my hat on that.

Would have won Essendon's goalkicking this year too. Just with a quick look only one player at Sydney kicked more than him.

The original comparison was Crameri vs Dawes - Crameri kicked almost 20 more goals (19 to be exact) than Dawes did this year.

Would have won Essendon's goalkicking this year too. Just with a quick look only one player at Sydney kicked more than him.

The original comparison was Crameri vs Dawes - Crameri kicked almost 20 more goals (19 to be exact) than Dawes did this year.
Against two inconsistent young forwards. And highly unlikely he would've got the same amount of delivery or focus in attack that he got at the Dogs at either Essendon or Sydney.

But I agree the Dawes/Crameri comparison was poor, just our forward line has been rubbish in terms of KPP for awhile now and we're only just starting to emerge. Hence Crameri being the top player in that period isn't a brilliant accomplishment.

Against two inconsistent young forwards. And highly unlikely he would've got the same amount of delivery or focus in attack that he got at the Dogs at either Essendon or Sydney.

But I agree the Dawes/Crameri comparison was poor, just our forward line has been rubbish in terms of KPP for awhile now and we're only just starting to emerge. Hence Crameri being the top player in that period isn't a brilliant accomplishment.

I think Crameri is a perfect 2nd/3rd forward. Big enough to bully small players, mobile enough to outrun and out maneouvre the bigger guys.

He and Jake Stringer will benefit immensely from having a 200cm genuine key forward coming out of the goalsquare. Even in the next two or so years as Boyd still develops he'll command a big defender

From about 10 more inside 50s a game. 9.5 to be exact.

But yeah either way, neither Dawes nor Crameri is as productive as they could be when they have to play as the #1 forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back