Review Norwood tried to poach the Crows in 1995

Remove this Banner Ad

Let em fap on about Port all they want!

We'll just get our s**t done, no media leaks, keep it quiet. All while we build the best footy department in the land and then BAM

We'll overtake Port again (on field) and crush them off field like the little brother they are and the club's (read: Roo's) actions will be justified in this off season

This thread has nothing to do with Port Adelaide. Stop bring them unceremoniously into it.

Norwood and the Adelaide Crows - nothing to do with Port Power.

The quote was written, the source where the quote came from was given. In the quote, Port Adelaide were not even mentioned.

This board is now, just as bad (if not worse) than they are.

I'm a Norwood fan, so I would've been happy for the suggestion in the article to happen... However, I've even said if Norwood ever came in as a third SA team, I'd probably jump ship anyway

Hypothetically, in 1995 I would have stayed with Norwood but not now.

24 years is a long time and my loyalties are now with the Adelaide Crows.

If Norwood came in (it's not going to happen), I'd go to games every now and then but the Crows would be my number 1 team.

From memory, what was looked at is that the Crows would use Norwood Oval as a training base instead of West Lakes. This came about before Norwood and Sturt FC decided to bid fir the AFL licence in 96 that sadly the Magpies won.

As a life long Norwood supporter I'm not sure who I would have supported if Norwood won the 2nd AFL Licence.

Never really thought about it but if AO keeps attracting 40-50k for every game why couldnt SA have a 3rd side? Would do better than the crowds WB and North attract. 2 games at AO every weekend would he huge for the city.

If Norwood was to come in, Ports crowds wouldn't be affected. Crows would but not by a huge amount and there's a waiting list and every game is sold out.

We'd have a AFL based in an inner city suburb.

Norwood coached by BASS in the AFL, I would jump ship but I would still follow Crows except when they play the Legs.

Yep, it is a W Norwood is so good fap fest thread.

SANFL board please.

Explain how?

You opened the link and then read the article and then just assumed, this thread was about that? correct.

Well, you are wrong. The paragraph in the OT was the key point.

Yet, you just assumed it was a 'fap fest' about Norwood

In actual fact, it was an insult to Norwood who tried to get into the AFL via the back door by trying to steal the club from the other clubs.

As an aside, for those new posters that are having trouble working out why they end up copping a ban or having their posts deleted on other boards, the first thing you need to do is learn is which threads you should post in and which you should stay well away from.

Having said that, the time has come for me to run away again. :D

Never really thought about it but if AO keeps attracting 40-50k for every game why couldnt SA have a 3rd side? Would do better than the crowds WB and North attract. 2 games at AO every weekend would he huge for the city.

Corporate sponsorship.

Adelaide could have 3 sides and average between 40 and 45,000 people turn up each week. However, and it's the same as Tasmania, the extra corporate sponsorship and dollars pumped into the club is the key.

Adelaide doesn't have the big business to allow a 3rd club to stay financially sound.

As an aside, for those new posters that are having trouble working out why they end up copping a ban or having their posts deleted on other boards, the first thing you need to do is learn is which threads you should post in and which you should stay well away from.

Having said that, the time has come for me to run away again. :D

5 years ago - this board was good (well tolerable anyway). Now, it's just full of idiots.

We have so many bloody morons now and the quality of posters has diminished dramatically.

Does anyone think port @&cked up. By going in as port power clearly affiliated with a club all the others hated, rather than how Adelaide, West Coast, Fremantle all went in as composites. Thus the PP only getting there support from there original fan base, and lessening there chances of financial success.

Last edited:
Does anyone think port @&cked up. By going in as port power clearly affiliated with a club all the others hated, rather than how Adelaide, West Coast, Fremantle all went in as composites. Thus only getting there support from there original fan base, and lessening there chances of financial success.

Not really.

The one club mentality was the correct way, they just went about it the wrong way.

As much as they will never admit to it, the events of 1990 was a massive blow to them attractive positive media and membership attention. 2015 and beyond will tell if that mentality has shifted and they can continue to move forward or if the 'new'fans jump off after a poor season or 2 like it did between 2008 and 2012

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone think port @&cked up. By going in as port power clearly affiliated with a club all the others hated, rather than how Adelaide, West Coast, Fremantle all went in as composites. Thus only getting there support from there original fan base, and lessening there chances of financial success.
No. They ****ed up when they tried to grow the pie and forgot who they were and why they got the licence in the first place.

Now the reasons for going down that path can be debated, but the results, pre, during and after, are there for all to see.

Does anyone think port @&cked up. By going in as port power clearly affiliated with a club all the others hated, rather than how Adelaide, West Coast, Fremantle all went in as composites. Thus the PP only getting there support from there original fan base, and lessening there chances of financial success.
I know Freo is considered a composite but it doesn't feel that way living in WA. Speaking to Freo supporters there are a lot of 'traditionals' from the WAFL.
I think you are correct to an extent, PAFC was always going to struggle to capture the broad market that a composite team would. The solution it seems at the moment is to leverage history outside of the original state.
On the flip side the struggle for a composite team appears to be that internal divide between the 'originals' that formed the composite.
There were other great rivalries besides PAFC and the rest in the SANFL pre Crows. How these band together for the ultimate good of the Crows seems to be the challenge - PAFC hatred aside.

Ross Oakley: The Phoenix Rises. As AFL chief at the time he covers the introduction of the second AFL license
Rucci article July 01 2014 titled Former AFL boss Ross Oakley admits 'we owed Port Adelaide one'. He quoted Oakley saying to the SANFL in 1990 when the Crows deal was done that a second team would be considered soon and it was preferably Port. Norwood and Sturt bid missed out when decided in 1994. Makes sense that Norwood to continue rivalry with Port would make an attempt to shift the Crows training base to The Parade.

This thread has nothing to do with Port Adelaide. Stop bring them unceremoniously into it.

Norwood and the Adelaide Crows - nothing to do with Port Power.

The quote was written, the source where the quote came from was given. In the quote, Port Adelaide were not even mentioned.

This board is now, just as bad (if not worse) than they are.

Well maybe when you quote the author of an article and call him "s**t Brick" that doesn't help trying to be all serious and saying we're just as bad as the Port board.... just use his name. It's not hard. You can't bitch about and be part of the problem at the same time

5 years ago - this board was good (well tolerable anyway). Now, it's just full of idiots.

We have so many bloody morons now and the quality of posters has diminished dramatically.

5 years ago, you mean before 2010 right? ;)

As for the topic. Would've hated being the Norwood Crows. I maybe would've been a tad too young to fully understand what it meant, but now i'm older, i feel it would've been a bad move

Corporate sponsorship.

Adelaide could have 3 sides and average between 40 and 45,000 people turn up each week. However, and it's the same as Tasmania, the extra corporate sponsorship and dollars pumped into the club is the key.

Adelaide doesn't have the big business to allow a 3rd club to stay financially sound.
Yep didn't think of that but Norwood has some pretty influential supporters. Reckon Wolf would be handy to have on board. Pickard Group also, and I'm sure we could get Villis back on side :)

Hypothetically, in 1995 I would have stayed with Norwood but not now.

24 years is a long time and my loyalties are now with the Adelaide Crows.

If Norwood came in (it's not going to happen), I'd go to games every now and then but the Crows would be my number 1 team.

It's true that it's very easy for me to say I'd 'jump ship' to Norwood while the odds of them joining the AFL are very, very slim to none - If it actually happened I'm sure I'd be torn...

at worst, I'd always go for Adelaide Crows, but would be torn when Norwood played Adelaide..

The Norwood crows would have killed off the club as the vast majority of the supporter base would have become disenchanted.

The 2 sa teams are only now both getting good crowds. Hopefully port continue their increased crowds, but an unknown when they struggle on field.

Norwood have a lower supporter base than port & there is no guarantee all will follow them if in the Afl as many likely to stay loyal to the crows. Just can't see them getting decent crowds.

Better off placing the next Afl team in Tasmania imo, when a Melbourne club folds.

No. They ****** up when they tried to grow the pie and forgot who they were and why they got the licence in the first place.

Now the reasons for going down that path can be debated, but the results, pre, during and after, are there for all to see.

Yes they couldn't decide whether to appeal to their core base or go broader. Highlighted by, at various times, saying "don't call us Port Power, we're Port Adelaide" and at other times referring to themselves as Port Power to try to attract non-traditional supporters.

As a Glenelg supporter would I have supported a Norwood Crows team? If it meant keeping Port out of it, most definitely. But I'm glad the club is a composite rather than based on one SANFL club

And yes, Rucci takes every opportunity he can to get stuck into the Crows and write crap articles

There, all possible uses of this thread covered :)

Eh, I was too young to get into football before the Crows came around, so I certainly wouldn't have had any issue with it. I'm a Glenelg supporter now, but that's mostly because I live 5 minutes away from the Oval, not because of any long held family support or anything.

I don't see how people are saying Rucci is trolling AFC. The article is an endorsement of the rise of Norwood FC since 1995 and how it is a great achievement to win the SANFL premierships especially this season with Port having their steam of AFL listers at hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back