Questions you hate being asked?

Remove this Banner Ad

The uber banal 'so up to much this weekend?' from work mates shits me to tears. Really, what are you supposed to say in response, and why are they going to care?
Like most of the questions in this thread, it's not really about the answer - it's about uncovering potential lines of discussion.

Banal open-ended questions are necessary when you don't know a person that well, or haven't seen them in a long time. It helps you identify what is of interest or relevant to the person's life, and then hopefully through that you get onto a line of discussion that is actually interesting to both parties.

It's mostly weird to me how many of the questions in this thread centre around people's dislike for talking about themselves. If you're going to interact socially with other people you kind of have to do that.

I thought Aussie Maccas don't Super Size.

KFC, subway etc all the fast food places ask if you want to add more to your meal. I suppose if you are already eating at these places often enough to get angered by it you're probs already a fat s**t

When I get that, I just say "guess", is always interesting to hear their answers.

The q I hate from little nosy shits "do you have a bf?"
They're kids, they ask dumb questions, they're annoying you to impress their mates and girls. Don't be so uptight. *in teachers, so precious

KFC, subway etc all the fast food places ask if you want to add more to your meal. I suppose if you are already eating at these places often enough to get angered by it you're probs already a fat s**t
Most fast food places the bosses require you to try and up sell and not doing so will get you in s**t and potentially fired. More to the point though, you would be surprised how often it works. People are pretty easily influenced and often merely suggesting they buy more stuff will convince them to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, tell me about yourself?

I'm generally pretty open and rarely get pissed off by banal questions or small-talk (or most personal questions), but this one shits me up the wall. Mostly because I always have trouble answering it (wtf do they even want to know?), partially because it comes across as a, "So, I'm too lazy to actually come up with a discussion point, so here's a dumb question." It's a favourite of job/scholarship/whatever interviews and it's such a s**t question.

I don't mind that question for job interviews, particularly early on in the piece because it lets you get your sales pitch out straight away. Job interviews are one those rare occasions you get to tell somebody how great you are without feeling like a complete w*****.
Fair enough I guess. Whenever it gets asked I think of this scene from Anger Management:

It's so open-ended and so non-specific that I find myself questioning what the best way to go about it is. I'm indecisive at the best of times so this type of question doesn't help. :p Normally okay with open-ended questions; this one just frustrates me to no end.

So, tell me about yourself?

I'm generally pretty open and rarely get pissed off by banal questions or small-talk (or most personal questions), but this one shits me up the wall. Mostly because I always have trouble answering it (wtf do they even want to know?), partially because it comes across as a, "So, I'm too lazy to actually come up with a discussion point, so here's a dumb question." It's a favourite of job/scholarship/whatever interviews and it's such a s**t question.
The reason it gets asked so often in interviews is because the interviewer wants to see how you view yourself. Certain people will talk about their personal life or background, others will place a great deal of emphasis on their academic achievements, etc.

You can get a pretty good indication of what's important to people by how they describe themselves.

The reason it gets asked so often in interviews is because the interviewer wants to see how you view yourself. Certain people will talk about their personal life or background, others will place a great deal of emphasis on their academic achievements, etc.

You can get a pretty good indication of what's important to people by how they describe themselves.
Chose five adjectives to describe yourself and base your answer around them.

How you going...

I'm that socially awkward it's horrible

I am usually short with most people that ask this and just say good/fine etc. It's hard to carry on a conversation from that point onward. That being said if it's someone I have good rapport with already I'll put a spin on it and flesh my response out a lot more than a single solitary word.

They're kids, they ask dumb questions, they're annoying you to impress their mates and girls.

They might also think they have a shot and are working their way up to ask the dating question

"So what have you been up to?" about a week or so after last seeing that person. I live an exceedingly boring life devoid of any variety and I don't like having to use the shitty cliched "Yeah the usual mate and yourself?".

I pretty much hate polite, pointless chatter.

I get asked a similar question by someone I see once a week on a Thursday, she always asks me how my weekend was. There is nothing I do that she would find remotely interesting (considerably younger than me) and by Thursday I've pretty much forgotten what I've done anyway! I've taken to saying things like, "Oh it was great, my footy team won", that usually kills the conversation. She is a nice person and is just trying to be friendly but I just find it an odd question. It's like when you're at the checkout at the supermarket and they ask you how your day has has been. A day is just a day, I'm not in the habit of rating them :confused: I like non-personal conversations therefore I'm happy to discuss the weather with all and sundry :)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back