Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing our team would include #DraftSteal Sam Siggins. Can't believe we (and every other team) passed on him 60 times.
Don't forget James Sellar who we "controversially" passed on for Travis Boak. #travisboat

I go on AFL.com and see this
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-24/they-could-have-been-demons
Robbie looks horrible in a Melbourne jumper.
2310_MelbourneCoodabeens.jpg

s**t article. You could do that with any team. Especially guys like Tippett who was taken in the 30's and Gray who was taken in the 50's.

s**t article. You could do that with any team. Especially guys like Tippett who was taken in the 30's and Gray who was taken in the 50's.

True but Melbourne are the only team that can and did pass on NicNat.

I can understand berating their poor form in the early draft selections but, as Schulzy said, to put guys like Gray or Tippett or even Fyfe there is a bit rough. Could do the hindsight / could have been game for every team that way.

The other side of the coin is that all the guys taken by Melbourne had a lot of talent and were highly rated going into their draft years. There wasn't a lot of reach picks there. Development is as important as talent identification, and Melbourne has been a development black hole.

I bet the Melbourne recruiters are still cursing themselves for not picking Wines when they had the chance. Of course, we Port fans are grateful for their ineptitude.

Not really about port adelaide

But I think Dangerfield is ridiculously underrated on this board. While he can play dumb, he is still one of the best players in the comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really about port adelaide

But I think Dangerfield is ridiculously underrated on this board. While he can play dumb, he is still one of the best players in the comp

I think you'll find most of the Dangerfield hate around here has more to do with his general smarminess, combined with the disproportionate media adulation.

I think you'll find most of the Dangerfield hate around here has more to do with his general smarminess, combined with the disproportionate media adulation.
I get that. And think that that's overplayed a little too. I mean, his bear grylls impression is dead on :D

I do see people complain when he is referred to as a star. I have no such problems with it as I would say he's one of the best in the comp

Dangerfield goes missing too often to ever be considered a star. And not just a bit quiet like Boak in the semi, but genuine, 0 disposals, missing.

Ok, maybe he is a star, but he isn't a leaders toenail, he's not a fighter or a scrapper who can influence a game that's reached tipping point.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Nah, he's overrated as all *, and Phil Walsh agrees. And this is the exact reason Walsh won't be a party to offering him the million dollar salary he yearns for and will thus part ways with the crows at the end of 2015.

Mind you, I'm not saying he isn't capable of ripping a game apart, he is. But he'd be easily the laziest "gun" in the AFL. Only works in one direction.

In fairness that's true of a lot of guns. And it's probably the difference between a great midfield on paper and a great midfield on the field. Line up Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Smith, Shiels and Langford or Fyfe, Barlow, Mundy, Hill, Crowley and Pearce against Pendlebury, Swan, Beams, Sidebottom, Ball and Lumumba and the Collingwood midfield probably looks the best of the three on paper, but the Hawthorn/Freo set of mids work both ways and the Collingwood set doesn't (or didn't, since half of Collingwood's set have now retired or changed clubs), and that's why Hawthorn are back-to-back premiers and Freo are a back-to-back top 4 side but Collingwood are midtable.

My main issue with Dangerfield is that over the last two years he's gone missing seemingly every time the game is on the line in the fourth quarter. And as edgie said, I'm not talking goes missing as in 'is a bit quiet', I'm talking goes missing as in doesn't get a single disposal for twenty minutes.

Mind you, I'm not saying he isn't capable of ripping a game apart, he is. But he'd be easily the laziest "gun" in the AFL. Only works in one direction.
McLeod-esque, but then 97, 98 happened

Give him a good coach

I would go as far to say any time the game is in the balance no matter the qtr. If Adelaide are holding back the tide, you can bet Dangerfield isn't. If Adelaide are about to break the levy, again, you can bet Dangerfield isn't. If it is an open free game, he can star and dominate, but once we reach that point the balance shifts, so does paddys impact.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Clearly Dangerfield has elite qualities and can tear games apart, but his distinct lack of composure seperates him from the absolute elites (Ablett, Pendles, Selwood etc.) so all in all, he's undoubtedly overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back