Unofficial Preview Round 1 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Holy s**t! Sauce is older than Goldie! I admit my error on that one.

I'm not convinced we'll play finals. But when you've been as bad as we have for as long as we have, improvement is all I can hope for. And you can lay as much s**t on the crows as you want especially considering its "October 2014" thanks for the heads up moron, but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. The crows will be a difficult opponent next year.
Don't need to tell us that. They've presented us with more than our fair share of difficult in the last 24 months. Stomping on your finals aspirations to let that Punt Rd rabble in has soothed any particularly sore feelings for at least me personally.

Your genius is flawed big fella, perhaps you should grow some balls big fella and quote the toss bags that post this rubbish in a safe environment, see how they fare outside of their own habitat, eh? I like how this thread is focussing on a few rabble Crows supporters, and then hurling virtual vitriol back over the fence. It's nice to see we spur such hatred across the border :D

I would rather not get carded on the Crows board. Largely, it's a comment on the hilarious original material that is "Harvey gets suspended a lot, and Higgins gets injured a lot". Riveting stuff.

I get there's a lot of feeling over a few games/players between these two sides, but some of your posters are clearly deluded.

Careful, and remember where you are.

A few questions/POI I have for you guys:

1. Who are your "star" players? Harvey is 38, Petrie, Wells, Dal, Goldie, Waite, ST are all the wrong side of 30 or very close to it. Your next level down (read Cunno, Z etc) are all honest competitors, aren't consistent enough or still growing into their careers. Quite a few are capable of pulling out a few big games in a row, but what about the whole season? Who was your last player to come close in the (albeit jaded) Brownlow? Heck, you only had Harvey named in the AA squad of 40!

Harvey is 37 and just had the best statistical season of his entire career. We also won a cutthroat elimination final without him.
Petrie is 32 and coming to the end, but has been exceptionally serviceable and a champion of the competition for a player picked in the second round of the draft.
Dal is 30. He finished 8th in the league for disposals. He will play for another 3 years.
Waite hasn't even put a jumper on for North yet.
Thompson is 28 and close to the best FB in the competition.
Goldstein is 26 and is a better ruckman than Jacobs.
Wells is 28 and didn't play the majority of the season and we still made a preliminary final.

I have no idea where the idea that our best players are also our most experienced being a bad thing comes from. None of the players you mentioned, bar Petrie and maybe Harvey, will retire after next year's season. By that stage, the legitimate young stars of our team will be 25-26-27 and hitting the prime of their careers.

I take issue with you calling Cunnington "honest". In the absence of our captain, he stepped up and became our #1 midfielder. He does things nobody else on our list can do. Hell, he does things the entire competition would struggle to do. He won our best and fairest and placed in the top 15 of the majority of the contested possessions/tackles in the league. He is not an "honest" player, he is a "star" player, and if his 2015 season isn't statistically better than his 2014 season I will be very surprised. He will take more midfield time with the departure of Greenwood, which is exactly what he needs.

Ziebell finally found his niche as a midfielder-cum-forward and lo and behold! We played him in that position against, oh who was it now, Adelaide? And he tore you apart. Give him a full season playing that role and he'll probably kick 40 goals. He is also not an "honest" player, he is a very good one.

Growing into their careers? Sure. McDonald is growing into his career but he's also the same guy that gave Rory Sloane the bath of a lifetime in Tasmania. Casually finished third in the Rising Star. Looked like he's been there for 5 years instead of being in his first season.

I'll give you guys like Bastinac, who is, by the very definition, an inconsistent footballer and likely the closest thing on our list to "honest". But to be totally honest, to say we've got "no stars" or that all our stars are our older players, is a pretty shocking list assessment.

2. Who are the Crows "star" players? Danger? Played a lot of last year underdone, as our mids let him get beat up without retaliation. That won't happen next year under Walsh with his team first attitude. No more positioning for the next handball, protect the man with the ball instead. Sloane? Gun player. You guys would argue on par with Cunnington, but our guy does the job EVERY week. Cunno disappears too often, fingers crossed for you he steps up more often next year.

I have no idea what you mean when you say "Cunnington disappears too often". As a 23 year old inside midfielder he averaged 22 touches & 3 marks a game, along with around 5 and a half tackles. Again, as a 23 year old, playing as the #1 inside midfielder in the team, he finished top 5 in the competition in clearances, top 10 in tackles, had more contested possessions, total possessions, and averaged more touches than Sloane. Sloane also had 87% TOG, compared to Cunnington's 75%. Ouch.

Put it this way, if, by your standards, Cunnington failed to "step up" this year, I look forward to him averaging 30 touches and 9 tackles a game when he does "step up" next year.

Walker? Still getting back to his best after the reco, but watch out for him next year, he'll be very good. Talia? Will emerge as the best KPD in the comp over the next two years as he continues to add attack to his game. Will shut one of your KPF out of our game. Can the other fire enough to get you over the line? Probably on par with ST. He is very good and was stiff to miss out on the 40. Jacobs and Goldie are on par for mine, but Sauce is 5 years younger. Smith will be interesting to watch when he cracks the midfield, will be a superstar either way, but maybe not yet. Eddie is the best small forward in the comp (after Balla, Breust and LT of course :rolleyes:)

Don't doubt Walker will be better. Gun footballer. Talia too, excellent young KPD. We have a lot of KPF now, so it's not a question of whether or not the other that Talia isn't on can fire, but whether your second KPD can stop our second KPF. Ben Brown will take you apart if you disrespect him, and Aaron Black will be better next year, given his entire year this year was wrecked by a shoulder injury. Smith is a gun.

What separates our two sides is your 16-30 is a helluva lot better than ours, but our top 5 cover yours comfortably. Stop our stars and you win. Which is what we did far too often this season gone, but won't happen nearly as often next year with Philthy's team first attitude. We will improve, mark my words, but will we improve enough to beat the Roos, the Hawks, the Cats and the Swans? Only time will tell.

You're placing an awful lot of hope and importance on an unknown quantity. Walsh could end up being a brilliant coach and his team-first attitude might see Dangerfield average seventy thousand touches a game, but it could also fall apart and you guys will be fending off Port trolls on your board for weeks on end. Sure you might improve with a new coach, but it's just as likely you'll plateau as the team adapts to a new gameplan, a new coach and a new team ethos.

IMO the Roos will hit top 4 again this year, but you don't have the firepower to win it, and you won't have the age profile to win it the year after which is a shame as Harvey deserves another shot at it. Sorry guys but you wasted your cashola on the fragile Higgins and the fist pumping Waite. Lookout for a suspension in the first round :)

Has anyone got Brad Scott's number? I need to ring him and let him know that we need to fold after this season, because we "don't have the age profile" to continue operating as a club.

I knew we #SHGTTGC.

I'm not convinced we'll play finals. But when you've been as bad as we have for as long as we have, improvement is all I can hope for. And you can lay as much s**t on the crows as you want especially considering its "October 2014" thanks for the heads up moron, but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. The crows will be a difficult opponent next year.

The proof is indeed in the pudding. The pudding that north are eating after just finishing fourth this year and the crows not making finals!

Has anyone got Brad Scott's number? I need to ring him and let him know that we need to fold after this season, because we "don't have the age profile" to continue operating as a club.

I knew we #SHGTTGC.
Yep.

We've taken our top three draft picks for what will be 9 years in a row now? But everyone believes we have a team full of elderly footballers?

I would rather not get carded on the Crows board. Largely, it's a comment on the hilarious original material that is "Harvey gets suspended a lot, and Higgins gets injured a lot". Riveting stuff.

Harvey is 37 and just had the best statistical season of his entire career. We also won a cutthroat elimination final without him.
Petrie is 32 and coming to the end, but has been exceptionally serviceable and a champion of the competition for a player picked in the second round of the draft.
Dal is 30. He finished 8th in the league for disposals. He will play for another 3 years.
Wells is 28 and didn't play the majority of the season and we still made a preliminary final.

I have no idea where the idea that our best players are also our most experienced being a bad thing comes from. None of the players you mentioned, bar Petrie and maybe Harvey, will retire after next year's season. By that stage, the legitimate young stars of our team will be 25-26-27 and hitting the prime of their careers.

I take issue with you calling Cunnington "honest". In the absence of our captain, he stepped up and became our #1 midfielder. He does things nobody else on our list can do. Hell, he does things the entire competition would struggle to do. He won our best and fairest and placed in the top 15 of the majority of the contested possessions/tackles in the league. He is not an "honest" player, he is a "star" player, and if his 2015 season isn't statistically better than his 2014 season I will be very surprised. He will take more midfield time with the departure of Greenwood, which is exactly what he needs.

Ziebell finally found his niche as a midfielder-cum-forward and lo and behold! We played him in that position against, oh who was it now, Adelaide? And he tore you apart. Give him a full season playing that role and he'll probably kick 40 goals. He is also not an "honest" player, he is a very good one.

Growing into their careers? Sure. McDonald is growing into his career but he's also the same guy that gave Rory Sloane the bath of a lifetime in Tasmania. Casually finished third in the Rising Star. Looked like he's been there for 5 years instead of being in his first season.

I'll give you guys like Bastinac, who is, by the very definition, an inconsistent footballer and likely the closest thing on our list to "honest". But to be totally honest, to say we've got "no stars" or that all our stars are our older players, is a pretty shocking list assessment.

I have no idea what you mean when you say "Cunnington disappears too often". As a 23 year old inside midfielder he averaged 22 touches & 3 marks a game, along with around 5 and a half tackles. Again, as a 23 year old, playing as the #1 inside midfielder in the team, he finished top 5 in the competition in clearances, top 10 in tackles, had more contested possessions, total possessions, and averaged more touches than Sloane. Sloane also had 87% TOG, compared to Cunnington's 75%. Ouch.

Put it this way, if, by your standards, Cunnington failed to "step up" this year, I look forward to him averaging 30 touches and 9 tackles a game when he does "step up" next year.

Don't doubt Walker will be better. Gun footballer. Talia too, excellent young KPD. We have a lot of KPF now, so it's not a question of whether or not the other that Talia isn't on can fire, but whether your second KPD can stop our second KPF. Ben Brown will take you apart if you disrespect him, and Aaron Black will be better next year, given his entire year this year was wrecked by a shoulder injury. Smith is a gun.

You're placing an awful lot of hope and importance on an unknown quantity. Walsh could end up being a brilliant coach and his team-first attitude might see Dangerfield average seventy thousand touches a game, but it could also fall apart and you guys will be fending off Port trolls on your board for weeks on end. Sure you might improve with a new coach, but it's just as likely you'll plateau as the team adapts to a new gameplan, a new coach and a new team ethos.

I knew we #SHGTTGC.
The stats for cunnington v sloane tore him to bits in that comparison. Quality posting as always.

The proof is indeed in the pudding. The pudding that north are eating after just finishing fourth this year and the crows not making finals!

Yep.

We've taken our top three draft picks for what will be 9 years in a row now? But everyone believes we have a team full of elderly footballers?
Don't burst their little bubble, they're almost as bad as * and port supporters.

So we don't have the firepower to win it?
What a load of crap. Sydney had the firepower over the Hawks but were smashed by a bloody good team. As did Sydney when they won it. And Geelong's wins, etc, etc. Footy teams win flags, not a handful of pretty boys with their B-grade sidekicks (refer to Carlton...soon to be the Adelaide model).

So we are dependent on Boomer and a few aging stars and will fall in a heap when they retire?
Does this guy just listen to KB and Slobbo? Even most of the worst commentators have dropped this worn-out cliche. And this Danoz dropkick already acknowledged that our advantage over the Crows is our depth. So if you take out our 30somethings in Boomer, Dish, and NDS, where is our age-profile issue? How does a team have great depth and an age-profile issue? We just had 3 first-year players in our 3 finals and all had an impact. When North wins its first match after Boomer retires there will be collective shock across the footy world.

So why is this idiot coming to post this crap on our board?
Got sacked by a boss who supports North? Marriage breakdown? Closet North supporter (of the JackReacher type)? 15yp troll? Anyway, always happy to have a bit of action on the board on a quiet October Sunday.

Gee I hope some of Danoz' stars don't walk next year. He won't have much left to hang his hat on.

We have used our top three picks for the last millennium.

Nothing wrong with our age profile.

The biggest shock is that our older players are our better players. I am flabbergasted.
How dare Mcdonald hasn't been made captain yet (he will though in a few years, he'll be VC after Ziebell)

I don't get why people mention Boomers age. Who care that he's 50. He's still dominating the young 23 year old ''stars'' in the AFL on a weekly basis.

1414133025126.gif

I knew we #SHGTTGC.
At least that guy won't have any trouble relieving himself on the toilet now, as you just ripped him a second a-hole!!! So he is now an a-hole with two arseholes!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get why people mention Boomers age. Who care that he's 50. He's still dominating the young 23 year old ''stars'' in the AFL on a weekly basis.
The old-timer Boomer fetish verges on psychopathic with some pundits. It's sort of like he has no right to be still playing footy at 37 and that we should be embarrassed to have someone that old being, arguably, our best player. That he is ranked in the top 10 in the AFL Player Ratings doesn't mean anything? The ageist stuff in the AFL these days is illogical. The worship of the 'rising stars' as the emerging champions of the comp is contradicted by the fact that the most recent Norm Smith Medallists were a 30yo and two 31yos and most footballers are hitting their peak in their late 20s. That Boomer has passed that acceptable football lifespan age limit of 32 or 33 and refused to retire is obviously an indictment on....well, someone.

At least the ageism has overtaken the heightism as the focus, although if you ask anyone at Arden Street about Boomer, the thing they mention first is the tightarseism.

Last edited:
The old-timer Boomer fetish verges on psychopathic with some pundits. It's sort of like he has no right to be still playing footy at 37 and that we should be embarrassed to have someone that old being, arguably, our best player. That he is ranked in the top 10 in the AFL Player Ratings doesn't mean anything? The ageist stuff in the AFL these days is illogical. The worship of the 'rising stars' as the emerging champions of the comp is contradicted by the fact that most recent Norm Smith Medallists were a 30yo and two 31yos and most footballers are hitting their peak in their late 20s. That Boomer has passed that acceptable football lifespan age limit of 32 or 33 and refused to retire is obviously an indictment on....well, someone.

At least the ageism has overtaken the heightism as the focus, although if you ask anyone at Arden Street about Boomer, the thing they mention first is the tightarseism.
It is beyond annoying when opposition posters harp on about this, saying our best player is the oldest and with the emergence of Cunners, Ziebell, Lachie and few others is ludicrous, (not to diminish boomer though, but he isn't our best player overall, but who cares anyway if he was our best player, older players tend to be). Its the same ones who call Swallow a plodder, despite being a clearance machine and has won many games individually because of it. I know its the chip on the shoulder analogy, but there's much truth to the fact that media and opposition as a whole stereotype North as one-dimensional plodders with no zero upcoming talent/line-breaking. Just need to look at the threads on the main board to see this, the U/25 team thread, the all australian thread with Boomer's achievements diminished and jokes about his wife.

Yeah, Rory Sloane doesn't disappear.

He just gets held underwater by Luke McDonald until he stops moving.

Ya know I made a pact not to tell anyone this during season 2014. I thought I'd done the year, but alas....

You *en life loser, really you must be one desperate campaigner to jump on an op board and post s**t after s**t.

Go * ya self cause I reckon there's no one else around who would.

Adelaide are weird in that they've regressed from being a true "big club" to now operating somewhere else. They aren't the financial powerhouse they once were and are behind the likes of West Coast, Hawthorn and Collingwood there.

They got smashed by the expansion teams nicking their players and then showed they couldn't hold onto a talented Vic like Gunston.

They aren't the "sexy" option in their own state, that's defo Port.

Onfield they are kind of meh. Yep, they aren't easybeats but they are pretty vanilla. Yep, Danger is a gun when fit and so is Walker but after that they appear to be Sloane (who for an uber gun according to them was absolutely pantsed by a first year player in Luke Mc which is pretty embarassing) and Talia and 15 other mid sized flankers called Brodie.

Its hard to see where the genuine improvement for a flag tilt comes from.

The old-timer Boomer fetish verges on psychopathic with some pundits. It's sort of like he has no right to be still playing footy at 37 and that we should be embarrassed to have someone that old being, arguably, our best player. That he is ranked in the top 10 in the AFL Player Ratings doesn't mean anything? The ageist stuff in the AFL these days is illogical. The worship of the 'rising stars' as the emerging champions of the comp is contradicted by the fact that the most recent Norm Smith Medallists were a 30yo and two 31yos and most footballers are hitting their peak in their late 20s. That Boomer has passed that acceptable football lifespan age limit of 32 or 33 and refused to retire is obviously an indictment on....well, someone.

Well said, I don't get what the obsession with Boomer's age is. If he was 27yo, everyone would rank him in the top 10-20 players in the league and not have an issue with it...just because he is an old campaigner and still playing at that level somehow makes him a negative influence, get f**ked!

This is gold on their board ...

MY main preference is to have no Sunday Twilight home games which is unlikely because it is almost guarantee our home showdown will be played in that timeslot.

My only other preference is for none of our home games to clash with other commitments which will prevent me from attending.

Ummm, yeah, no s**t.

Your genius is flawed big fella, perhaps you should grow some balls big fella and quote the toss bags that post this rubbish in a safe environment, see how they fare outside of their own habitat, eh? I like how this thread is focussing on a few rabble Crows supporters, and then hurling virtual vitriol back over the fence. It's nice to see we spur such hatred across the border :D

I get there's a lot of feeling over a few games/players between these two sides, but some of your posters are clearly deluded. A few questions/POI I have for you guys:

1. Who are your "star" players? Harvey is 38, Petrie, Wells, Dal, Goldie, Waite, ST are all the wrong side of 30 or very close to it. Your next level down (read Cunno, Z etc) are all honest competitors, aren't consistent enough or still growing into their careers. Quite a few are capable of pulling out a few big games in a row, but what about the whole season? Who was your last player to come close in the (albeit jaded) Brownlow? Heck, you only had Harvey named in the AA squad of 40!

2. Who are the Crows "star" players? Danger? Played a lot of last year underdone, as our mids let him get beat up without retaliation. That won't happen next year under Walsh with his team first attitude. No more positioning for the next handball, protect the man with the ball instead. Sloane? Gun player. You guys would argue on par with Cunnington, but our guy does the job EVERY week. Cunno disappears too often, fingers crossed for you he steps up more often next year. Walker? Still getting back to his best after the reco, but watch out for him next year, he'll be very good. Talia? Will emerge as the best KPD in the comp over the next two years as he continues to add attack to his game. Will shut one of your KPF out of our game. Can the other fire enough to get you over the line? Probably on par with ST. He is very good and was stiff to miss out on the 40. Jacobs and Goldie are on par for mine, but Sauce is 5 years younger. Smith will be interesting to watch when he cracks the midfield, will be a superstar either way, but maybe not yet. Eddie is the best small forward in the comp (after Balla, Breust and LT of course :rolleyes: )

What separates our two sides is your 16-30 is a helluva lot better than ours, but our top 5 cover yours comfortably. Stop our stars and you win. Which is what we did far too often this season gone, but won't happen nearly as often next year with Philthy's team first attitude. We will improve, mark my words, but will we improve enough to beat the Roos, the Hawks, the Cats and the Swans? Only time will tell.

No, what lost us the game was not having a match up for an unstoppable Ziebell. Leaving Slam out was a mistake, but didn't lose the game. Sando admitted as much in his (awful) presser afterwards. And whether he plays is up to the selection committee which will look very different for rd1 than it did for rd22 this year.

IMO the Roos will hit top 4 again this year, but you don't have the firepower to win it, and you won't have the age profile to win it the year after which is a shame as Harvey deserves another shot at it. Sorry guys but you wasted your cashola on the fragile Higgins and the fist pumping Waite. Lookout for a suspension in the first round :)

Bigeasy is a clown anyway ;) go on The Filth Wizard, card me, I dare you. But you know I'm speaking too much sense.
s**t. Such a bad, ageing, mediocre list yet we are a Top 4 team while your star studded line up are perennial also-rans. Footy's a funny game isn't it? :drunk:

You'd reckon a team that recruited freakin' JPod last year would be ewary of "ageing" calls.

At this early stage I would tip a Crows victory being at home with a new coach and the fact we seem to be very ordinary in Round 1, for some reason B.Scott can't get them up for it!?!!?!?!?!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back