Delisted Free Agents

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
He's fast and can kick the ball long, likes to break the lines. But his problem is that he has no tank. He can only run one way, no defensive capabilities at all, I'd be surprised if he went to Geelong because he doesn't seem to be their type of player.
Taylor Hunt has shown more.

Little like Kane Lucas, yet the ex-Carlton player has a huge tank and can take a mark as a link up player. Isn't a flawless kick, yet I always liked his clean hands, poise and awareness. Cclean like his goal assist to Buckley against WC. Plus Sugar is younger.

Jezzza

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton

This is the bloke that Port supporters thought would be a fair trade (plus pick 17) for Ryder, yeah?

It was not our choice to delist him, he declined the contract offered, wanting more senior games opportunities at a weaker club like the Bombers.

Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
It was not our choice to delist him, he declined the contract offered, wanting more senior games opportunities at a weaker club like the Bombers.
Yes, but that's my point. It was ridiculous that Port supporters thought a guy who had played 4 games in 4 years on a senior AFL list + a late first rounder was adequate compensation. I would've gladly taken Newton as the steak knives along with your two first picks if our list wasn't so bloated, though.

Doesn't matter, Geelong will probably pick him up with their mid/late 3rd round pick.

Yes, but that's my point. It was ridiculous that Port supporters thought a guy who had played 2 games in 4 years on a senior AFL list + a late first rounder was adequate compensation. I would've gladly taken Newton + 37 + 17 though.

It's ridiculous to go through the Ryder trade again

BTW, Newton may still be available for Port to draft him

It's ridiculous to go through the Ryder trade again

BTW, Newton may still be available for Port to draft him

Its weird though because i am sure geelong would have offered 55 early in trade week,maybe port wanted a higher pick? In the end we will probably take him at 55 anyway.

Its weird though because i am sure geelong would have offered 55 early in trade week,maybe port wanted a higher pick? In the end we will probably take him at 55 anyway.

It could be that we just really wanted to keep him ... :)

I suppose it came down to thinking that pick 55 wasn't enough of an enticement, and we would try to convince him to stay.

If the pick offered was about 40 or better, then I reckon we would have traded him.

But I'm not in the know, so just a lot of guesses.

DazzaTys

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Newton was a handy depth player, but not ahead of Boak, Gray, Wines, Young or Moore. But 4 years and 4 games says a lot. He's a hard worker who I hope gets picked up by another club and excels, just not against Port.

Oct 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes, but that's my point. It was ridiculous that Port supporters thought a guy who had played 4 games in 4 years on a senior AFL list + a late first rounder was adequate compensation. I would've gladly taken Newton as the steak knives along with your two first picks if our list wasn't so bloated, though.

Doesn't matter, Geelong will probably pick him up with their mid/late 3rd round pick.

FWIW, there's every chance that Newton will be as good if not better than whoever is drafted at #37.

And I'd take Newton over 2 years left of Cooney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
intrigued by mitch clisby (mel). at 25 when next season starts though, can't see him landing a rookie contract a second time around. could do with his pace/run. blease seems to get all the love here for some reason.
if we're going to pick up a rookie ruckman which is possible we could do worse than sam michael (bris). only 21, would prefer him to the renouf, graham types on account of his versatility.

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
I hope north look at Yagmoor / Hardingham in the pre-season/rookie draft/delisted period. McMahon at this point is only there as injury back up. Spud Firrito has one year and Grima is injury prone. Get Kyle Hardingham in please. The guy does have talent but just needs to work on his composure. Will enjoy working with Tippet, Thompson, Mcdonald, etc.

All he needs is a club willing to give him a decent run of consistent games in the same position IMO. We threw him around between AFL/VFL, FWD/DEF farr too much.

MCG-Unit

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2003
Gore
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Geelong West, Townsville
Yagmoor, Jackson Allen, Burbury, Jordan Lockyer, Jordan Kelly and Luke Thompson might be of interest to some clubs.

Wouldn't mind the Saints looking at Yagmoor, even as a Rookie.

There must be a fair sort of list of DFA's this year, plenty on offer it seems?

Going through them, really I'm not inspired. I reckon the blokes Port has delisted are just about as good as any available.

Really only four blokes I'd accept as recruits.

Ex-Docker Josh Simpson is probably, footy talent wise, the pick of the crop, but there is just so much negative baggage about him he'd be a very high risk recruit.

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC
Would be interested in Luke Thompson from the Crows, what are his deficiencies and is he worth a second chance.
like wise Josh Simpson from Freo, is he a lost cause or could a change in scenery really help him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back