Pakistan vs Australia (in the UAE)

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop blaming the pitch, we could tell 100 miles away it would turn...so what do we do we pick Doolan who can't play spin, a 20% fit Clarke (and I'm generous here)...and we leave one of the best players of spin carrying the drinks. I'm not Maxwell's biggest fan, but horse for courses he plays on these pitches. This pitch isn't that bad, it is turning but it is the batsmen getting themselves out...lets look at them

Warner- plays a wild heave ho to a pie from the left armer, stays in his crease he isn't out. I know it is the way he plays though so we have to accept the good with the bad
Doolan- misses a straight one that didn't turn an inch
Clarke- barely looked fit, missed a straight one
Lyon- why is he batting for! Missed a straight one, number 11.

So of all dismissals we have just softly given the wickets away. It isn't even funny.

Changes:

Out: Doolan, Lyon, Siddle
In: Maxwell, Starc, Hilfenhaus.

2 spinners in Maxwell and O'Keefe. 3 quicks in MJ, Hilfy and Starc.
Agree changes need to be made.

Should a clearly unfit Clark play say ahead of Hughes who could play at #3, move Smith to #4, Maxwell to #5.

Agree changes need to be made.

Should a clearly unfit Clark play say ahead of Hughes who could play at #3, move Smith to #4, Maxwell to #5.

Depends how 'unfit' Clarke is. I don't want Hughes playing unless absolutely essential

Why? Because he left your beloved NSW? You're a worse turncoat than him if that's why......

Hughes will be an 100 test player.

Hardly, on spin tracks he is very ordinary and what happens when he comes in and fails against spin again.

Don't disagree I just question whether Hughes is the right option that is all.
What other options do we have?

Guess it is a toss up between doolan & Hughes for #3.

Play Smith at #4, even if if insist on playing the injured Clarke at #5

Hardly, on spin tracks he is very ordinary and what happens when he comes in and fails against spin again.
Hughes will predominantly be an opening batsman. So he will have the chance to get his eye in before the spinners come on, and he's better (not great, but better) against the spinners once he has 40-50 next to his name. It's stupid to bring him in any lower than 3.

And he has already shown his fantastic attitude to work and improve on multiple occasions.

What other options do we have?

Guess it is a toss up between doolan & Hughes for #3.

Play Smith at #4, even if if insist on playing the injured Clarke at #5

Honestly I would Play Steve Smith at 3, natural number 3.Doolan is awful I agree but I have no idea playing Hughes at 3 in the UAE is a good idea

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't play Hughes in the second test, give Doolan one last go and if he fails than it's all over red rover. Bring Hughes in from the Gabba, and then stick with him.

I believe he could be player of the series in The Ashes next season.

Hughes will predominantly be an opening batsman. So he will have the chance to get his eye in before the spinners come on, and he's better (not great, but better) against the spinners once he has 40-50 next to his name. It's stupid to bring him in any lower than 3.

And he has already shown his fantastic attitude to work and improve on multiple occasions.

I'm not sold on him being an opening bat. Not sure we can go with Hughes and Warner who can both get out early and quickly. Someone like Jordan Silk is a Like for Like replacement for Rogers. I would prefer to keep that type Of opening pair.I rate Hughes but he needs to transform into a number 5 or so.

Honestly I would Play Steve Smith at 3, natural number 3.Doolan is awful I agree but I have no idea playing Hughes at 3 in the UAE is a good idea
However we structure up the batting line up we have holes... But agree Smith needs to move up the order as wasted at #5.

Amazing, especially after the foundation had been laid. I recall one day playing for my school's 1st XI at home. You could always bat all day on this pitch if you just applied yourself. I lost the toss and we took to the field against a team which had been making 250+ all season. I was standing there at 0/45 getting ready for a long day in the field. Half an hour later, the opposition were bowled out for 55. They lost 10 for 10 on a perfect deck!!! Cricket's a funny game.
There was a game in England years ago: this team was 3 wickets down, so the number 9 batsman seemed justified in believing he had enough time for a toilet break. Unbeknowns to him, 4 wickets fell in the space of 5 deliveries, so it was suddenly time to pad up. He failed to get to the crease in the allotted 3 minutes, so he was given out "timed out." He allegedly emerged from the cubicle feeling rather flushed :)

However we structure up the batting line up we have holes... But agree Smith needs to move up the order as wasted at #5.

Either Clarke needs to bat at 3 or Smith does. It really is a poor batting lineup with Doolan at 3

I'd be happy with this top 6 for the next test.

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Maxwell
Marsh

If Clarke says he is fit enough, then he is. He's entitled to have a bad match every now and then.
Maxwell is a good player of spin and has FC form behind him.
Smith has a good record playing at 3 for NSW and seems to be the perfect man for the job.

Is Joe Burns a chance to ever play for Aus? Seems to always be making runs. And averages over 40 I think

Cheers for the feed back. Who do you think he is behind?

In amongst a whole bunch of batsmen. Needs to dominate a Shield season though but really Burns is a chance, any one of these middle order bats is a chance- I mean Doolan is in the side!

I'm not sold on him being an opening bat. Not sure we can go with Hughes and Warner who can both get out early and quickly. Someone like Jordan Silk is a Like for Like replacement for Rogers. I would prefer to keep that type Of opening pair.I rate Hughes but he needs to transform into a number 5 or so.
All openers can get out early and quickly. They have to face the brand new, swinging ball. I'm an opening batsman at club level, the key is to see off the first spells of the opening bowlers, before worrying too much about runs.

I'm thinking more Watson and Katich. Warner is the Watson, who goes from the start, while Hughes is the Katich, the unorthodox left hander who loves to bat long periods of time and loves to cut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back