mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Oh my... Who said this? Necks can be deceiving, especially on a 73kg 190cm kid lol. I dare say neck length would be the last thing on any recruiters mind and the kid is 17 years old so to say that a 190cm 17 year old will fill out and play small is baffling. I've seen the theories on leg and body length but this is the first time I've ever seen neck length come into equations hahaha.

If his neck was normal size he'd be 188cm instead of 190cm. So he won't develop into a Bontempelli who is 192cm

May 15, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If his neck was normal size he'd be 188cm instead of 190cm. So he won't develop into a Bontempelli who is 192cm
You've measured it? How long is Bontempelli's neck? Looks pretty long to me too. I didn't realise you could tell so much about someone from their neck, kudos to you.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
You've measured it? How long is Bontempelli's neck? Looks pretty long to me too. I didn't realise you could tell so much about someone from their neck, kudos to you.

No I haven't but I'm pretty sure that is what he meant.

DannPies

Draftee
Oct 26, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
IMO for our pick #5 Laverde is our man!! That's assuming petracca and brayshaw are gone. Its also laughable that you say Langford stitched Laverde when they played one another in the AGSV school comp. I was at the Ivanhoe vs PEGS game, played at Ivanhoe, and that couldn't be any further from the truth! Majority of the game they were not playing on Eachother and I thought Laverde had a very good game and was easily PEGS best player and Langford very quiet. Not sure what game you were watching lol

May 15, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
No I haven't but I'm pretty sure that is what he meant.
Fair enough, but as I said the kid is 73kg and 190cm... That's going to make it look like his neck is longer than it is. If he puts on a little bit of weight and gets some traps his neck will look normal. I can't even believe I am debating neck length, the theory is one of the stupidest things I've read for a long time.

wednesdaywarrior

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
St. Pat's, Parkside Tackers
I wish I hadn't brought up the neck thing. Geez I hope the kid isn't reading this.

It was certainly a new one for me and was just curious to see whether anyone else gave it any credence. We do spend a lot of time here haggling over whether this player or that player is 190 or 191cm. (Some of those Jackson Paine threads did my head in) and we have also spent a lot of time declaring Daniel Rich to be inferior because of his T Rex arms. Maybe I should just focus on football ability and stop questing for the next Fyfe. I mean Sam Mitchell wouldn't have impressed anyone at that level with his physical dimensions and he's one of the best in the business IMO.

As for the Pegs ivanhoe game! I didn't see it and am sorry if that info was incorrect, that was from another poster who saw the game. Maybe it was his Dad I don't know. I was passing on a lot of second hand info on Langford because I just wanted to collate what we know of him and test it out on other people to see how accurate it was.

wednesdaywarrior

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Small sample size, but hard to see him at 5 with those highlights. Perhaps around 15 you'd be happy with plenty to work with, but at 5 you would want someone who is sharp and projects into a 200 gamer.

Laverde, Pickett, Weller/Lever for mine at 5

The other link Dave sent with Bigpond highlights are a lot more impressive. I like his form in that one.

wednesdaywarrior

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Langford reminds me of Toovey, (even though he's a right footer).

He does look a lot like Toovey in his running style. I think he's a better kick and if u watch his extended reel he is a much better mark. That's prob the really impressive side to his game now.

peter9789

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's what I am thinking. What is the possiblity of:
1. Mcartin
2.petracca
3.wright
4.laverde
5. Brayshaw?

Melbourne have Gawn, Spencer, Jamar and Fitzpatrick. Is Wright an upgrade and can they then look to trade one of the others off next year?

This won't happen. I have an excellent source at the MFC and have been told they have locked in McCartin at 2, and Brayshaw at 3, believing the Aints have locked on Petracca at 1.

If the Aints take Petracca that's how it will fall. Not really sure who GWS take as it's just guessing, but I'm hoping Wright slips through to us at 5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ricky90

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wish I hadn't brought up the neck thing. Geez I hope the kid isn't reading this.

It was certainly a new one for me and was just curious to see whether anyone else gave it any credence. We do spend a lot of time here haggling over whether this player or that player is 190 or 191cm. (Some of those Jackson Paine threads did my head in) and we have also spent a lot of time declaring Daniel Rich to be inferior because of his T Rex arms. Maybe I should just focus on football ability and stop questing for the next Fyfe. I mean Sam Mitchell wouldn't have impressed anyone at that level with his physical dimensions and he's one of the best in the business IMO.

As for the Pegs ivanhoe game! I didn't see it and am sorry if that info was incorrect, that was from another poster who saw the game. Maybe it was his Dad I don't know. I was passing on a lot of second hand info on Langford because I just wanted to collate what we know of him and test it out on other people to see how accurate it was.
Height is height. It matters, always has. A good big man will beat a good small man every day of the week. But 2cm is nothing so I don't believe anyone will care about a long neck or anything like that.

Everything else that you've brought up has been spot on though, in my opinion. You used the word intriguing to describe him and that's absolutely correct. Langford is intriguing because of his age and profile. He projects as someone who could be very, very good. But he has less runs on the board than someone who doesn't have a massive amount himself in Laverde - while being similar prospects with a few differences. One is probably worth pick 5 at a stretch and the other probably worth pick 10 at a stretch.

I wish we could have both. And Wright. And Lever. Heck, if we could just pick 5 guys we like and go from there.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I wouldn't mind De Goey. Strong marking hard at it classy mid/forward.

Everybody's highlights are better on afl.com. The ones on youtube are highlights from 1 or 2 matches

They came from a guy who downloaded the U-18 Games. Only the AFL and Club Employes would have Access to TAC Cup Games

Nov 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
76ers/Rockies/Colts/West Ham
458061-5fe52426-0d55-11e4-a815-d3c95abb9aab.jpg

Unless Brayshaw or Wright are still there.

soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
This won't happen. I have an excellent source at the MFC and have been told they have locked in McCartin at 2, and Brayshaw at 3, believing the Aints have locked on Petracca at 1.

If the Aints take Petracca that's how it will fall. Not really sure who GWS take as it's just guessing, but I'm hoping Wright slips through to us at 5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can't see it happening either. I'm just looking forward to the excitement of the last week before the draft when we are flooded with rumours of who's thought to go where. Looking forward to Emma Quayle's phantom draft- I like her mail

Ricky90

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does anyone know if the AFL app covers the draft (as in what's shown on Foxtel)? I unfortunately fly out of the country on the 26th but by the time of the draft on the 27th should have a hotel hopefully with free wifi. Question is, will I be able to watch the coverage or will I have to follow it on AFL.com?

Does anyone know if the AFL app covers the draft (as in what's shown on Foxtel)? I unfortunately fly out of the country on the 26th but by the time of the draft on the 27th should have a hotel hopefully with free wifi. Question is, will I be able to watch the coverage or will I have to follow it on AFL.com?

They will have a Draft Tracker that is updated and I say try and get the SEN live radio. They do a fantastic job on there Draft Coverage

wednesdaywarrior

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Impressed with your commitment there. To hell with whatever exotic city you happen to be visiting, just need to know who the Pies have picked up in the draft. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back