List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Let me ask you a question. Why are you even asking me the question? You know the answer or you should. Of course I haven't but nor do I have to. If you know what you are doing you have seen almost enough anyway. Thats probably why the AFL insiders told him don't worry about playing a couple of matches up at NT at the back end of the season particularly when some surely would have seen him pre-injury!

Fact is Cockatoo has a higher ceiling than any other player in the draft I have seen in the highlights which includes all the guns. If you cannot see that you have no idea period!!! He may not get there for various reasons some of which have a sound basis but the potential remains. Clearly, in the clip his disposal was not elite at times and he was caught out a touch a times as well with tempo, but there is no denying the raw talent on show unless you are clueless!! Cockatoo is young, hasn't played a lot of footy recently and there are different sound reasons why some of his perceived deficiencies cannot be ironed out over time with more footy, experience and development!! The bottom line is if you are so dissuaded about the lack of footy Cockatoo hasn't played to disregard him from the first round as a prospect, IMO, your footy knowledge is severely limited no matter who you are!!

I don't know why you're getting so worked up about this.

Might be that if you don't tow the line ( ie go with the safe bet and most likely what the club will choose) then you aren't a true supporter

Sometimes you gotta take risks and there are a few of us saying...take a risk ...go the utensil...that's what this forum is all about...we all bleed yellow and black regardless

We want the best for our club, as much success as we can get, recruiting the best including recruiters helps us win. Arguably some of our recruiting decisions have hurt us badly well before Francis and Co.

Really, if RFC were serious about recruiting the best, they should hold recruitment exams for recruitment candidates where they would have to rate under 16 year olds based on video vision as a starting point. They would be marked on the success of their independent judgement as the players progressed, bearing in mind a lot of force majeure events can take place to really bend results, as well as rationale. It would be a starting point at least for RFC to get more professional and de-risk its own performance by recruiting superior off field credentialed resources!!

Last edited:

Let me ask you one thing, is the only footage you've seen of Cockatoo that 2 minute highlight package taken from 1 match? Or have you seen him play on other occasions?
Cockys 2 minute highlight clip from yes just one match is far better than most of so called great picks at 12 .s**t their highlights r taken from many matches yet cocky can out highlight all others with 1 match and underdone a we'll fj will b considered incompetent if he passes on him at 12 IMO

Cockys 2 minute highlight clip from yes just one match is far better than most of so called great picks at 12 .s**t their highlights r taken from many matches yet cocky can out highlight all others with 1 match and underdone a we'll fj will b considered incompetent if he passes on him at 12 IMO
He will definitely be passed on by 12. His highlight package has him missing targets several times. And thats his highlights.
You are too focused on him and are way overrating him.

its just too bad for us that players of this potential often fall in the middle of our picks take with 12 reach how big a reach ? he wont make our second cause nth will take with 26 if no one goes earlier

Haven't seen it myself but apparently Brett Anderson has said GC won't take Weller, they believe he'll want to relocate to Vic in a few years to be close to his bro, plus his family is moving down there. Pretty much leaves us and the Cats... Please god. Pleaaaase.

My preferred options for our picks:

Pick 12:
Jordan De Goey 187cm 82kg Midfielder/Forward
Like Vlastuin & Lennon the last 2 years De Goey is another bigger bodied midfielder, difference being he is another X factor type who could give us a real POD through the midfield. Unlike Menadue above De Goey could be a viable pick if we're looking at having our first pick play next year.

Connor Menadue 188cm 69kg Utility
Speed endurance and skills and with a year of development could be the difference maker in our line up. As I've written elsewhere he projects like Issac Smith from Hawthorn as that link up line breaking winger who can also push forward and kick goals. Unlikely that we'll take him and he'll no doubt end up going between 12 & 33 on draft night.

Corey Ellis 185cm 76kg Midfielder
Like the other 2 Ellis is another bigger bodied option in terms of height. For mine I'd rather see us go after the 185cm+ types rather than the 180cm types that Ahern & Weller are. No doubt people will say if they have the talent the size doesn't matter but I beg to differ. A midfielder who stands 185+ and can get to 82-86kg especially when you're looking for someone who can play inside is much better than those 180cm/79kg types.

Having said all that I am expecting Duggans name to be called out on draft night when pick 12 is called out.

Pick 33:
Connor Blakely 187cm 81kg Midfielder
More of a pure inside type than De Goey the addition of Blakely would help free up the likes of Cotchin & Martin to spend a lot more time on the outside using their skills to deliver the ball forward.

Brayden Maynard 186cm 88kg Midfielder
An inside/outside midfielder who sticks to the above criteria of the bigger bodied midfielders. Ideally I could see him lining up across HB to start and then pushing into the midfield in a year or 2 much like Vlastuin.

Jackson Nelson 187cm 80kg Defender
Like Maynard above Nelson is another who would come in as a HBF option initially to allow Vlastuin to go to the midfield. Difference between Nelson and Maynard is I see Nelson as more of a permanent HBF who would give us a bit more drive from the backline than we currently get.

However, the name I expect we'll hear on draft night is Damien Cavka 184cm 79kg Midfielder. Cavka is a pacy goal kicking winger who would certainly aid with the desire to bring in some speed.

Pick 52:
Nathan Drummond 181cm 85kg Utility
First thing I'll expect to see in response to this is that he isn't a 185cm+ midfielder so why pick him. Well it's simple he is an 85kg ball of muscle who finished top 10 in practically every physical test at the combine and averaged over 20 disposals a game in the TAC Cup. All that makes up for the 4cm in height and IMHO Drummond could easily slot into the 22 next year from round 1 with a solid summer under his belt.

Josh Glenn 179cm 78kg Defender
With Newman getting on and Morris our only other small defender option I'd love to snare Glenn with our 3rd pick as he is another who I feel could play from round 1 next year being a 20 year old. Glenn knows how to find the footy and when the chance presents isn't afraid to push forward and kick goal.

Jason Castagna 182cm 86kg Defender
Given the mantra has been we're looking to bring in speed with our later picks, Castagna would be one I'd consider at this stage. The only problem is how well does he fit our good kicks criteria. The knock on him is that his kicking is shaky but fixable, so if we felt we could fix it he maybe worth the punt.

However, the name I expect us to call out is Daniel Capiron 189cm 80kg Defender. Like Cavka at 33 Capiron is another outside speedy type who would fit the mantra of bringing in speed.

Pick 70:
Teia Miles 179cm 70kg Defender
If we missed on Glenn at 52 then I'd be hoping that Miles is around at 70 to being in that small defender that we need. Miles like the other later picks is quick and he also has good skills. In our backline that is sometimes prone to panic Miles ability to use the ball calmly would be handy.

Josh Deluca-Cardillo 179cm 80kg Forward
Was close to taking him in the Phantom draft to fill the need of a pacy small forward, but opted for the bloke I'll mention next instead. Deluca is a quick small forward who because of his size is rarely beaten 1-1 because of it. Would be a handy option in time at the feet of Riewoldt Griffiths and Vickery.

Ed Langdon 182cm 72kg Forward
Brother of Tom at the Pies, Ed is a HF type who just makes things happen. As a HF he is very creative and if he isn't kicking goals he is setting them up with smart ball use. Langdon brings a bit of speed and good ball use and if needed could easily slot in across HB to provide some run out of defense.

However I expect us to call out James Rose 186cm 78kg Forward.

So that's it, my preferred options for each of our picks and who I think we'll end up with.

He will definitely be passed on by 12. His highlight package has him missing targets several times. And thats his highlights.
You are too focused on him and are way overrating him.
Sure I seen the missed targets no big deal. Looked very much just a lack of match time .nothing to b concerned about combine showed he has the fundamentals to b an elite kick .im not overrating him at all IMO our side is screaming out for a player like this but hey nothing is absolute when judging potential but I sure back myself in he will b a hell of a player if is attitude matches his talent

Great post _EAD_ .

I really like the idea of gradually building up a number of first round draft picks that are all talented, ~187cm+, and big-bodied.

Purely at a glance, it seems the most disappointing players taken early in the draft are the skinny kids with amazing skills and awareness. Does this belief hold up to empirical evidence?

It seems practically every midfielder with a strong body and very good U18 form does well at AFL level too.

Just hope that everyone who wants to reach for Cockatoo won't complain that we reach for someone else because it's ok to reach for someone. ;)

Personally I think we'd be playing with fire because I don't think he's in the best 12 players in the draft.

I'm not sure where this "elite kick" thing has come from? I'd say he's around Conca level.

People need to remember he played an exhibition game against kids a year younger and was really the only one with anything to prove.

If we are going to use the fact he only turned 18 a few days ago well Ellis is only 2 weeks older and Duggan is still 17. So why not them?

Personally I don't mind Cockatoo and wouldn't be disappointed with him at 12 but he isn't the best player available at that pick and he's a massive massive risk that a lot of the same people will be calling for sackings if we take him and the risk backfires.

Personally hoping for Weller, Duggan, Ellis, De Goey, Menadue, Cockatoo in order.

EAD i like you're work but i think you put too much stock in height. There are so many sub 180cm players who would be awesome for any side. Gary. Dion Prestia. Would be ideal for us. Marc Murphy. Etc etc. Small guys have a lower centre of gravity and can be very effective and powerful footballers. I think Id rather a smaller chunky player than a taller stick. Nothing worse than an outside player who just bounces off of guys in a contest or even worse cale mortons it. I think duggan will fill out to solid 83. De goey won't take too long to hit 87. Weller should be able to get up to 80kgs. That's enough for his height. King and Foley are only little blokes but I've never seen them take a backward step or get knocked off of it but bigger Nathan gordon regularly ends up out bodied in contested ball situations.

Just hope that everyone who wants to reach for Cockatoo won't complain that we reach for someone else because it's ok to reach for someone. ;)

Personally I think we'd be playing with fire because I don't think he's in the best 12 players in the draft.

I'm not sure where this "elite kick" thing has come from? I'd say he's around Conca level.

People need to remember he played an exhibition game against kids a year younger and was really the only one with anything to prove.

If we are going to use the fact he only turned 18 a few days ago well Ellis is only 2 weeks older and Duggan is still 17. So why not them?

Personally I don't mind Cockatoo and wouldn't be disappointed with him at 12 but he isn't the best player available at that pick and he's a massive massive risk that a lot of the same people will be calling for sackings if we take him and the risk backfires.

Personally hoping for Weller, Duggan, Ellis, De Goey, Menadue, Cockatoo in order.

You really like Duggan?

But yes i agree with the rest of it, you can't sook about us reaching when you want Cockatoo @ 12. Nor can you rule on his age and ignore it for Duggan and Ellis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where would you have Ahern?

You really like Duggan?

But yes i agree with the rest of it, you can't sook about us reaching when you want Cockatoo @ 12. Nor can you rule on his age and ignore it for Duggan and Ellis.
I like him because he's younger than the rest and that's then 'in' thing. :D

Nah in all seriousness I think he's class. Can play half back or forward, through the midfield. Has improved his contested game which shows he's pretty coach able. He's what I would call an actual 'elite' kick. He also runs both ways and tackles.

I am presuming all the big names are gone though. Weller sounds like there is some chance he might be there so I included him.

Where do you think he ends up? Also who you like for our later picks?
Maybe a Geelong or WC. Seen a few Phantoms with him at GWS even.

Gore, Miller, Lonie, Anderson, Blakely. Garlett was also a personal fave but I reckon he will get to about 30 and then get taken to piss me off. :p

Lukas Webb impressed me in his Champs game. That's just a few off top of my head.

Anyone hoping we take a punt on Matt Panos in the draft with a late pick? Earmarked as a key forward when he was at the Bulldogs but just tore s**t up for Norwood playing as a tall midfielder. I'd like him as a late pick.

I'll b calling for sackings when he goes to another club and tears us a new one every time he plays us .is this massive risk you talking about that he mite go walkabout?

Anyone hoping we take a punt on Matt Panos in the draft with a late pick? Earmarked as a key forward when he was at the Bulldogs but just tore s**t up for Norwood playing as a tall midfielder. I'd like him as a late pick.
Probably not in the ND. We need a big mid. Whether it's him or not I'm not sure.

EAD i like you're work but i think you put too much stock in height. There are so many sub 180cm players who would be awesome for any side. Gary. Dion Prestia. Would be ideal for us. Marc Murphy. Etc etc. Small guys have a lower centre of gravity and can be very effective and powerful footballers. I think Id rather a smaller chunky player than a taller stick. Nothing worse than an outside player who just bounces off of guys in a contest or even worse cale mortons it. I think duggan will fill out to solid 83. De goey won't take too long to hit 87. Weller should be able to get up to 80kgs. That's enough for his height. King and Foley are only little blokes but I've never seen them take a backward step or get knocked off of it but bigger Nathan gordon regularly ends up out bodied in contested ball situations.
I'm not saying that there aren't small blokes who can be very good players, but for me those small blokes have to be exceptional to be taken ahead of a similarly talented taller type. IMO the likes of Weller & Ahern aren't that much better than a De Goey Ellis Menadue or even Duggan, so if they were all available I'd be taking the taller blokes first and then working my way down to the smaller blokes.

When all is said and done I like the idea of having a midfield full of bigger bodied types, we have our talented smaller types in Cotchin Ellis Miles Conca McDonough Foley Lloyd & Arnot. In terms of bigger bodies, it's Deledio Martin Vlastuin & Lennon, adding a couple more of those 188cm types especially those who can win a bit of inside ball will make us a more rounded team IMO. Gordon while being a bigger body is an outside type of midfielder who thrives on covering ground rather than cracking in and with Brandon is the only 2 players of that ilk at the moment. That's another reason like I want someone like Menadue to give us another outside link up type of midfielder.

However as we seem to prefer those who can go and win their own footy when needed that is why I think we'll go for a De Goey Duggan Ellis type as they fit that criteria more than a Menadue does at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back