Delisted #20: Jackson Merrett - not offered a contract for 2019 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. But Merrett isn't the 'excitement machine' that seems to be the layman's definition of a best 22 player.

Simply not a best 22 player at this stage, and I have my doubts about him, hope he proves me wrong.

Is Harvey midfield coach? If so, Jackson should benefit enormously.

Not soft but like Kav and Nob he needs to be more agressive in the contest - who better than Harvs to instill this??

Last edited:

He's in that player bracket that either goes to the next level or just remains that flakey, in & out player that clogs lists or eventually gets delisted. For mine, its just a mental application to work hard when the chips are down that he needs to develop, because his brother has it over him in spades & is why he'll be a jet.

Blokes like Savage (Stk, Haw), S Dwyer (Coll) remind me of Jackson, whereby at times they've showed an ability to get plenty of the pill, use it well, break lines & hit the scoreboard, but then to turn invisible when a bit of attention is applied by the opposition. Mitch Duncan comes to mind as a similar player to Jackson early doors, but ultimately a kid who's taken the next step to become predominantly a genuine mid in the Cats engine because of willingness to work hard to capitalise on his talent.

2015's a big year for him.

Last edited:
This is a make or break year for Jackson - I am yet to be convinced as to his truth worth - We'll know more at the end of 2015.

Make or break year for a will be 22 year old?? Jesus Christ at that standard half our list should be de-listed when they were that age. Including our captain.

Give the kid a chance. He still has plenty of potential and did shine early in the year for us before getting injured including ANZAC day being one of the few players to step up in the final quarter along with his brother on the big stage.

Make or break year for a will be 22 year old?? Jesus Christ at that standard half our list should be de-listed when they were that age. Including our captain.

Jobe's output increased significantly at that age, he was still working on disposal - but Jerrett should be looking to increase his output now.

I can understand some players need time to develop, but I hope that the fact his younger brother has already overtaken him gives him the determination required to really kick on and become a decent player.

This is a make or break year for Jackson - I am yet to be convinced as to his truth worth - We'll know more at the end of 2015.
Just no.

Kav yes, NOB yes. Jerrett has already shown enough that he can make it. Whether he does is another thing, but he has something that a lot of players don't have, great goal sense. When he gets the ball inside F50, he is very good at finishing the job i.e. the anti Jetta

He did stagnate this year, but his game against Carlton showed enough of what he can do. I suspect he is a confidence player as he seems to struggle to maintain form across a season. AS he gets bigger and fitter he should start to correct this.

Def a keeper for a couple more years yet.

the anti Jetta

Leroy+Jetta+QLZbxyDjpWAm.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be a good player for us next year
I'm in this camp. The thing that stood out to me early on with Merrett (Adelaide 2013, Anzac Day 2013) was something you can't really teach- footy smarts. Instinct. Some have it and some don't, and I reckon Jackson does.

He may not have any stand out attributes, but I think he'll be a very solid player for us going into the future.

Just no.

Kav yes, NOB yes. Jerrett has already shown enough that he can make it. Whether he does is another thing, but he has something that a lot of players don't have, great goal sense. When he gets the ball inside F50, he is very good at finishing the job i.e. the anti Jetta

He did stagnate this year, but his game against Carlton showed enough of what he can do. I suspect he is a confidence player as he seems to struggle to maintain form across a season. AS he gets bigger and fitter he should start to correct this.

Def a keeper for a couple more years yet.

Where did I state that Jackson would be delisted - I am referring to getting an idea of how good Jackson could become.

tomorrow shapes as a battle royale for Coon's spot.

Dalgliesh has a claim (an especially good one given how much the pies got cut open by Jack Steven on friday), Merrett has a claim given Cooney basically took his spot, Kav has a claim on pure form (but I suspect he'll be given a decent 6-7 week block in the VFL to build him up if we can), Langford and Laverde are both well capable of filling Cooney's forward flank spot and Dempsey could get the nod based on experience.

Very interesting times ahead.

tomorrow shapes as a battle royale for Coon's spot.

Dalgliesh has a claim (an especially good one given how much the pies got cut open by Jack Steven on friday), Merrett has a claim given Cooney basically took his spot, Kav has a claim on pure form (but I suspect he'll be given a decent 6-7 week block in the VFL to build him up if we can), Langford and Laverde are both well capable of filling Cooney's forward flank spot and Dempsey could get the nod based on experience.

Very interesting times ahead.

I think Orazio Fantasia is a big shout to come into the side. There is also a chance we just bring Ashby into the 21 and bring in a sub

Remove this Banner Ad

Back