Have we raised the white flag when it comes to Port Power?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
1) We seemed to be satisfied with our poor, almost non-existent marketing campaign leading up to the Adelaide Oval move. With their march, home game rights and publicity on public transport etc they killed us in the publicity stakes for one of the biggest events in SA football.
2) The strange decision by the AFC to accept a lesser SANFL deal compared to the deal Port Power get. I’m surprised the new administration hasn’t done anything about this yet.
3) Paddy Ryder. All we heard leading up to trade week was how desperately Port needed this play. Don’t we also desperately need this type of player?
4) Anzac weekend game at Adelaide Oval. I’ve heard Thomas bleet on more than one occasion that “port has a long association with the ANZACs” and therefore has the right to this game. Sorry mate, no one club or entity owns this special day. Anzac day is for all Australians and all football clubs.

4) Anzac weekend game at Adelaide Oval. I’ve heard Thomas bleet on more than one occasion that “port has a long association with the ANZACs” and therefore has the right to this game. Sorry mate, no one club or entity owns this special day. Anzac day is for all Australians and all football clubs.

On this one, you are right - no club owns the rights. However there is a two way street, ANZAC day is not just about what revenue a club can make on the day, but also how they can respect he ANZACs and work with them - at all times.
If you think Port hasn't earn't the right to host the game in SA at the moment, you may want to ask the RSL their thoughts on the effort the respective clubs went to - not just for ANZAC day, but for them in general, when approached.

We've known for a long time our marketing was deplorable; last year just highlighted how big the gulf now is. Port's was kicking arse all over the ship, we had garbage like the operatic Club Song and that prick Trigg handing a football over.

I'm hoping the marketing 'direction' of the last few years (which was erratic, inconsistent, and basically just s**t) was due to the previous admin, and that it'll now be addressed. We have one of the most exciting young playing groups in the competition, but who were we using for a lot of our marketing last year? Podsiadly and Bickley. Bloody moronic.

Our marketing department needs some significant changes, hopefully it's next on Fagan's hit list.

3) Paddy Ryder. All we heard leading up to trade week was how desperately Port needed this play. Don’t we also desperately need this type of player?

I could just see your rants if we'd lured Ryder only for him to be hit with a 2-year ban...

1) We seemed to be satisfied with our poor, almost non-existent marketing campaign leading up to the Adelaide Oval move. With their march, home game rights and publicity on public transport etc they killed us in the publicity stakes for one of the biggest events in SA football.
2) The strange decision by the AFC to accept a lesser SANFL deal compared to the deal Port Power get. I’m surprised the new administration hasn’t done anything about this yet.
1) This marketing isn't really necessary. Why spend money for zero gain? We sold out every game last year. Spending money gives us what? The sellout sooner? Completely pointless. May as well have thrown the money straight into a charity. At least we might get good publicity that way.
2) We got what we needed. Setting up what Port got would just ruint he SANFL even more. Anyway, they're losing their juniors anyway. And the academy is bullshit too. They got a free ride that no one outside of GWS and Gold Coast should have (And that includes Brisbane and Sydney who I feel are getting an uunfair advantage along with port that no other team should have)
3) Agree (to a degree) on this one
4) I'd rather be away on ANZAC Day round. I find it disrespectful for teams to be fighting over this (looking at you Essendon, Collingwood, Fremantle and Port Adelaide). It's a day of memory. Not a day of football.

I am sure someone can clarify, but was discussed a while back that Trigg was not particularly interested in taking on the ANZAC Day stuff when meetings were had with the RSL. Either that or Port had shown a lot more enthusiasm to do so.

We weren't after Paddy Rider.

We were after a player that would get limited game time, and or to develop.

Jacobs is one of the best ruckmen in the league, so he wouldn't play ahead of him.

We then have Tex, and JJ. Ryder wouldn't replace them

Port wanted him as both a forward, and u ruckman, so can offer more game time.

There is no point in paying someone 500-600k when we don't have an urgent need.

Especially when he could cop a decent ban.

how come there are so many threads on here whinging about what PP does? screw them. i dont care about them at all. if they manage to do something well, then good on them. if the afl gives them good slots, good on them. swings and roundabouts. i'd rather just talk about the crowies.

how come there are so many threads on here whinging about what PP does? screw them. i dont care about them at all. if they manage to do something well, then good on them. if the afl gives them good slots, good on them. swings and roundabouts. i'd rather just talk about the crowies.

I'm happy to see Port going from strength to strength, it's good for the State; my concern is whether we are capable of doing the same - I'm hopeful that we are, under the new admin.

Also, re Ryder, I hope that the Crows/Port have come to the realisation that we should be working together to get players here, not screwing each other for the sake of it.

Completely agree. Maybe because I don't live in SA, but Port are pretty much irrelevant to me.

1) This marketing isn't really necessary. Why spend money for zero gain? We sold out every game last year. Spending money gives us what? The sellout sooner? Completely pointless. May as well have thrown the money straight into a charity. At least we might get good publicity that way.
2) We got what we needed. Setting up what Port got would just ruint he SANFL even more. Anyway, they're losing their juniors anyway. And the academy is bullshit too. They got a free ride that no one outside of GWS and Gold Coast should have (And that includes Brisbane and Sydney who I feel are getting an uunfair advantage along with port that no other team should have)
3) Agree (to a degree) on this one
4) I'd rather be away on ANZAC Day round. I find it disrespectful for teams to be fighting over this (looking at you Essendon, Collingwood, Fremantle and Port Adelaide). It's a day of memory. Not a day of football.
A sustainable, engaged and ongoing fan base. And positive exposure in the media etc that helps attract sponsors.

IMO most things the club does just seems to be, for want of a better word, 'lame.'

The new logo looks like it was designed by a high school student
The crow cawing after goals is embarassing
the graphics and music on Crow TV are amateurish
'My People' as a pre-game song is the kind of thing a Dad might pick to try and be cool
Our cheer-squad would have to be one of the worst in the league. "Adelaide" clap clap clap is the one and only chant they've come up with in 25 years.

Time for fresh ideas. Maybe hire an outside consultancy firm to help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ports spend money to make money to hopefully save the club plan was always going to see them spend more on marketing than us, things like the tram were totally unnecessary for us. We got the same results without having to spend that money, and it will be interesting to see if their growth continues or even remains stable when their form dips and they decide its time to actually make money.

It's that the stuff we did do wasn't great. Crowify the city was fine, except that apart from the hotel no body really went out of their way to do it any more than they do for a Port game.

Apart from the march and scarves in the air, things that no one would get behind with our on field form, our match day stuff was pretty much identical. We danced the OTR song for $1000, they danced to the Macarena for $100. It's just that the Port game that most Crows supporters went to was the first game, and they didn't have time to do all that crap with the official ceremony stuff taking its place (joining a giant coin is no better than Trigg receiving a football). From all reports our match day stuff for event games overtook theirs, but by that time with our form who cares.

They've successfully sucked up to the media and became everyones second team. I don't think thats ever going to be us. It wont always be them either. We won't have Fagan or Chapman doing half time interviews at away games etc. just wont happen.

They were quicker to respond, react and engage with supporters. More switched on with marketing, emphasising the marketing slogans like never give up mainly after wins so that supporters associate it with winning, not "we've lost another game but thanks to 19th man again". It looks like we are doing that better already under Fagan but lets see if they keep it up once the games start.

Fix on the field and it fixes the rest. Now that Trigg has gone, we all feel better about oursleves and its onwards nad upwards. Port's big test whihc they have always failed in the past is how they go when they are not doing well on the field. Sadly this may be some time away before we know.:p

The mob down the road are a flash in the pan with bandwagon support. Watch how quickly it evaporates when they start their slide.
I predict their membership will either plateau or fall this year. The novelty will wear off for the non-football people that embraced the Poower this year on the back of some good marketing and hype.

1) We had the biggest average attendance by a club this year, across the entire league. Our games are well attended. Their "record breaking" crowds had more to do with GA Memberships and selling of Western Stand guess passes for thier blockbusters. Something we dont do for patron comfort.

2) We don't need an SANFL home ground, and our SANFL team served its purpose. Would be nice to sell the SANFL jumper though as it looks good.

3) Capspace. Port need to pay up to 105% of the Salary Cap to fit him in. A new AFL rule allows this
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...delaide-land-paddy-ryder-20141016-117ava.html

4) They have done the work to be allowed the ANZAC round game. It is something Port have done for over a decade, including playing their home Showdown at times.
Maybe we could turn Easter Sunday into a tradition?

The mob down the road are a flash in the pan with bandwagon support. Watch how quickly it evaporates when they start their slide.
I predict their membership will either plateau or fall this year. The novelty will wear off for the non-football people that embraced the Poower this year on the back of some good marketing and hype.

I'm not really concerned with what Port do (while conceding that's the subject of this thread), but just looking at our performance in isolation, our attempts at improving the fan experience have been really, really lame.

IMO most things the club does just seems to be, for want of a better word, 'lame.'

The new logo looks like it was designed by a high school student
The crow cawing after goals is embarassing
the graphics and music on Crow TV are amateurish
'My People' as a pre-game song is the kind of thing a Dad might pick to try and be cool
Our cheer-squad would have to be one of the worst in the league. "Adelaide" clap clap clap is the one and only chant they've come up with in 25 years.

Time for fresh ideas. Maybe hire an outside consultancy firm to help.

That's a lot like I see it.

We don't see to know who we are marketing to, and if you did think we knew what market we're targeting, then I'd suggest the marketing we direct at them is woeful.

It really does reek of an old, out of date admin, desperately trying to be cool and appeal to the younger fanbase - not having a clue how to do it, and alienating the core 'middle aged' membership at the same time.

1) We had the biggest average attendance by a club this year, across the entire league. Our games are well attended. Their "record breaking" crowds had more to do with GA Memberships and selling of Western Stand guess passes for thier blockbusters. Something we dont do for patron comfort.

They are basically overselling the cheapest memberships in the whole AFL, not hard to look good when your doing that. If we sold 30% of the ground rather than just the hill as GA we'd have a ton of people ready to take the place of no-shows to.

I bet if you just looked at who turned up for their allocated seats it would be pretty even. Maybe even favour us if you looked at how empty some of the more expensive areas were at well attended Port games.

We can't sell thousands of extra 3 game memberships and GA tickets incase they all turn up to the same big game because they can't just take the seat of someone who isn't there like they would at a Port game.

Yeah, look, all that boils down to is that for years now we've been the 'safe' club. Many companies adopt the personality of their hierarchy - that's exactly what we did. Don't ruffle any feathers, just go about your business quietly.

Under Primus and Duncanson, Port were pretty much the same. They almost seemed embarrassed to make public statements - partially driven by their deplorable results, but also driven by the types of guys they were. The quintessential images of their leadership at the time are of Primus (head bowed, walking into the changeroom as they get belted by a minnow) and Duncanson (who cried at his farewell presser). Fast-forward to now: they've got a flashy cockspank of a President and a very forthright CEO and they've got some steel again. They're vocal, they're public and they're getting noticed.

We've just punted the conservative, non-offensive, go-slow merchant CEO and installed someone with a few ideas and a bit of energy. Plus, his CV would suggest he's capable of going in hard.

We've just gotten rid of the boy-next-door, nice-guy-with-amazing-guns coach who didn't make a stand as much as come across as a whiner - Brisbane day games, Exhibit A. We've now got a guy who is a true hard nut.

Unless he comes good on all of these "East Coast business links" that he supposedly has, our inoffensive conservative Chairman should be next.

We're not the safe club any more. I look forward to seeing how that is displayed.

Last edited:
I'm not really concerned with what Port do (while conceding that's the subject of this thread), but just looking at our performance in isolation, our attempts at improving the fan experience have been really, really lame.

I can't work out how that is any reference to what I wrote--but never mind. I agree with the main point of your post.

We don't see to know who we are marketing to, and if you did think we knew what market we're targeting, then I'd suggest the marketing we direct at them is woeful.

It really does reek of an old, out of date admin, desperately trying to be cool and appeal to the younger fanbase - not having a clue how to do it, and alienating the core 'middle aged' membership at the same time.

Our marketing team's efforts ABSOLUTELY come across as they don't know who they're marketing to or worse - they're putting out the management's ideas because they reckon they know good marketing.

That's why we get watered down rubbish marketing which is trying to please everyone. I often say to my clients that if you try to be all things to all people, you end up being not much to everyone. That sums up the AFC marketing - particularly game day - in a nutshell.

The rest of our marketing comes across as pretty pissweak - it's like someone in management thinks wearing your cap backwards is where the kidz are at and that Claude the Crow is the freaking Mona Lisa of Marketing. I've worked for those clients. It never ends well.

I don't think there's much to complain about regarding Anzac Day. The point was made ages ago on 5AA that Port were going to get a home game on Anzac weekend solely because of the week on/week off balance of the draw.

There is no underlying motive by the AFL for Port having a game on Anzac day, unfortunately for us it's our turn for the opening game this year and it's just the way the week on/week off scheduling just happened to work out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back