Radio Calls from 1991

Remove this Banner Ad

Sipossmagic

Senior List
Jun 5, 2011
Hawthorn
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just to let everyone know i have and will be posting Game's i recorded from radio in the '91 season

here's what i have posted so far -

St Kilda vs Sydney rd 9 (ABC)

St Kilda vs Essendon rd 10 (3AK)

St Kilda vs Hawthorn rd 11 (3AW) (non TV game)

St Kilda vs North Melbourne rd 12 (ABC)

St Kilda vs Sydney rd 24 (3AW) (non tv game)

All games are in Full so over 2hrs of goodness for all games

Games too come
St Kilda vs West Coast rd 15 , vs Richmond rd 16 , vs Geelong rd 17 , vs Melbourne rd 18 (3AK's last ever game) , vs Collingwood rd 19

ENJOY!

Last edited:
Just to let everyone know i have and will be posting Game's i recorded from radio in the '91 season

ENJOY!

Are these originally on cassette tape ?
Would you be interested in donating them to the National Film and Sound Archive, as I know they are on the hunt for complete radio broadcasts.
I donated a few last year.
PM me to discuss.

Are these originally on cassette tape ?
Would you be interested in donating them to the National Film and Sound Archive, as I know they are on the hunt for complete radio broadcasts.
I donated a few last year.
PM me to discuss.
all are still on audio tape, I used two 90 min tapes per game and would be more then please too let the National Film and Sound Archive have copies

have you got any games of the mid to late 90s of the 3aw crew, with Rex hunt in his prime, Sam Newman, having dummy spits and storming out of the commentary box after being in arguments with rex hunt. shane healy, graham bond & ronald dale barassi & his battle truck

have you got any games of the mid to late 90s of the 3aw crew, with Rex hunt in his prime, Sam Newman, having dummy spits and storming out of the commentary box after being in arguments with rex hunt. shane healy, graham bond & ronald dale barassi & his battle truck
sadly all i did was the 10 game's from 1991

Last edited:
When listening to the 3AW broadcasts from the 1991 season, was there any on-air tension between the two play-by-play callers, Rex Hunt and the late Bill Jacobs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Things I miss from old radio calls...

3KZ is football. .....the Captain (Jack Dyer) and the (Ian) Major
Don Hyde in between races on 3UZ
Doug Bigelow as special comments on 3LO(ABC)
Smokey Dawson was an excellent footy caller
Around the grounds... (especially pre-AFL where 6 games at one time)...."Russell Blew at the Junction Oval". Every one giving their half time and after game summaries and votes.
Tommy Lahiff.
3GL covering Geelong West (VFA) games on a Sunday.
Listening from a small leather-covered trans out in the outer (can still remember the smell of the trans).

How did radio stations like ie 3AW or 3KZ decide what was going to be the match of the day (or game of the round as it now known)?
Say if you were in charge of 3AW's football coverage in the early 1980s, ( circa 1981)and you had to decide from the following which game would be broadcast live on 3AW and associated stations throughout Australia?
Carlton v Hawthorn (Princes Park)
Richmond v Geelong (MCG)
North Melbourne v Collingwood (VFL Park)
Essendon v Fitzroy (Windy Hill)
South Melbourne v Melbourne (Lakeside Oval)
St Kilda v Footscray (Moorabbin)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How did radio stations like ie 3AW or 3KZ decide what was going to be the match of the day (or game of the round as it now known)?
Say if you were in charge of 3AW's football coverage in the early 1980s, ( circa 1981)and you had to decide from the following which game would be broadcast live on 3AW and associated stations throughout Australia?
Carlton v Hawthorn (Princes Park)
Richmond v Geelong (MCG)
North Melbourne v Collingwood (VFL Park)
Essendon v Fitzroy (Windy Hill)
South Melbourne v Melbourne (Lakeside Oval)
St Kilda v Footscray (Moorabbin)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Circa 1981? The bolded every time ;):cool:

I always thought that the system went something like:

Six stations did games (on rare occasions 3GL and another station did the same game, leaving one unbroadcasted)
Three stations were on rotation for number 1 pick (maybe they were 3KZ, 3AW and 3LO?)
3GL always did Geelong
The racing stations (e.g. 3DB) always did one of the lower ranked games because they were always cut off mid stream to go to a race

Remove this Banner Ad

Back