Looking to play next year with no previous experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, I played. I was spudding it up, big time.

Didn't touch the ball once, but laid some really good tackles and my pressure was okay.

When I got put in the forwardline, they couldn't get it out of our opposition forwardline. When I got put in the backline, my team started dominating. That's no excuse though. Found my endurance really let me down, I tried but I just could not run at some points.

Highlights of the day was one of the chicks I was playing on when I was up forward. We were just chatting casually.

Me: So which team do you barrack for? Her: North Melbourne hahaha. You?
Me: What do you think of Majak Daw? He's actually really hot, huh. Has the best body.
Her: Um...he's my brother! hahaha
Me: Shiet

Know I can do better than I did today, I was too soft. But besides that I had fun :)
The Daw story is awesome! Hahaha.

Re: getting possessions. You'll find that it all comes together when you start playing more games, and naturally improving things like game sense and awareness. By this I mean being better able to predict where the footy is going, and being able to position yourself accordingly. Increased match fitness will help that as well.

Yeah I wouldnt stress too much cat. Youll get there

Rubbish game by me on saturday. Had 3 touches and 5 tackles. Did a heap of leading just wouldnt get the pass to me.

Ended up going down by a kick, were up for the whole game until 1 minute left

Yeah I wouldnt stress too much cat. Youll get there

Rubbish game by me on saturday. Had 3 touches and 5 tackles. Did a heap of leading just wouldnt get the pass to me.
Same story for me on Saturday. I put myself in really good positions in space and in contests to mark the ball and get a damn goal on the board (we didn't kick a score till near the end of the second quarter. Smashed), but I guess they just didn't see or hear me flailing and screaming for it :rolleyes:

Ended up going down by a kick, were up for the whole game until 1 minute left
That's painful. What level are you playing at?

Same story for me on Saturday. I put myself in really good positions in space and in contests to mark the ball and get a damn goal on the board (we didn't kick a score till near the end of the second quarter. Smashed), but I guess they just didn't see or hear me flailing and screaming for it :rolleyes:

That's painful. What level are you playing at?
Division 2 Thirds team. Haven't played in 10 years so I thought it would make sense to start there, hoping to move up when my skills improve

Thought I'd post in here too. Had my first game in eight years on Saturday.
Was good to be involved again after promising myself last year that I'd play next year. Really felt it fitness wise, but it has got my taste back and will probably get stuck into preseason for 2014.

My internet's been out for a few weeks, so I haven't been able to keep looking at this thread. Catgirl I wouldn't be too down at the moment. I was a fair spud at the start of the season (jury could still be out at this stage) but from what I've been told getting more games under your belt is key to improving. Don't expect too much at this stage, just pick up what's happening and what players in the same position as you are doing. I learnt a lot from the more experienced players and I'm a lot more comfortable where I am now than what I was halfway through the season.

As for me, my season is done. It's been quite a ride. I managed to hold down a spot in the reserves on the wing, which I'm thrilled with and I came out this year happy that I at least have one position nailed down that I feel comfortable in, so that's all I could hope for. The team has really gelled now, at the start of the year there were a lot of new faces but if most of us stick around for next season we should definitely be a strong team next year.

Unfortunately last game was a bit of a fizzer, we played an undermanned team and won by 90 points, I got thrown up to full forward in the last quarter and managed to snag the most assiest goal imaginable. There was a contest in the forward pocket, I stayed down and managed to crumb the ball, throw it on the boot at the boundary line and it went straight through the middle. I just laughed, it had no right going through, I just couldn't find a pass to give to.

Anyway, I'm happy with this year, I have a lot of things to try and work on until preseason starts again but I certainly don't regret starting to play footy, it's been fantastic.

I read through this entired thread and I have to say, thank you for updating in such detail of your start to AFL.

I'm also looking to play next year with no previous AFL experience, having only played basketball and soccer in the past. It's refreshing to read about your journey and I can see myself looking back on this thread during my training.

From 1 soccer convert to another, how did you find the contested stuff like putting your head over the ball and tackling? Stuff that is second nature to other footballers who've played as juniors but fairly foreign to us soccer types.

I'm also from Adelaide, which division do you play in?

I read through this entired thread and I have to say, thank you for updating in such detail of your start to AFL.

I'm also looking to play next year with no previous AFL experience, having only played basketball and soccer in the past. It's refreshing to read about your journey and I can see myself looking back on this thread during my training.

From 1 soccer convert to another, how did you find the contested stuff like putting your head over the ball and tackling? Stuff that is second nature to other footballers who've played as juniors but fairly foreign to us soccer types.

I'm also from Adelaide, which division do you play in?

Hey happy that this thread helps anyone in the same situation.

Honestly, the first like, six games I was trying to find my feet, so I don't think I hit every contest as hard as I could have, I just don't think I was mentally ready to take on what I see so many other people get involved in. But after that, I remember just barrelling into a contest, I copped a few knocks on the way, but it wasn't that bad at all. I think it was just that initial leap that I struggled to make, but after that I had no problem with running into contests and whenever the ball was in dispute. It's definitely something that comes with playing matches. Every week was a new learning experience.

Tackling on the other hand, I'm not great at. That did get better as the year went on though as well and I think that's just another skill that you'll pick up with more games under your belt.

I'm playing in Division 5 reserves, and although our team was on the end of some not very kind scores, I never felt like I was really out of my league playing in that division. I know that higher divisions (goes without saying I guess) are much more quicker and intense and can have pretty brutal preseason campaigns.

I'll be thrilled if you keep this thread going with your experiences in football. It's always interesting reading about how people are going when starting a new sport.

Graveyard bump here.
But finally joined a team and went through some preseason training.

Got another training tomorrow and then hopefully my first game for the season in the Cs.

Probably give a proper update afterwards.

First of all, this thread is awesome thanks MegaBob and others who have posted their experiences and advice.

I'm looking at playing this year for the first time, but I havent really played any sport at all except under 9's basketball. First kick of a footy was only a couple of years ago even.

Ive joined the club late as well so Ive missed the whole pre season training except for one session this week, although i will continue to get to the training sessions I feel like Ive got a shitload to learn before I should even think about playing - i wouldnt know the first thing about tackling or good positioning yet.

looking forward to see what happens and if/when the coach thinks i should play.

cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been picked to play my first game this weekend, stoked/nervous. Hopefully I can keep some cool and be useful for the team. No idea where I'll be playing as yet.. :)

I've been picked to play my first game this weekend, stoked/nervous. Hopefully I can keep some cool and be useful for the team. No idea where I'll be playing as yet.. :)
Hard at it and you will do fine!! Can't ever be upset with someone if they give 100% and put their head over the ball when they get a chance! Good luck!

Nice work!

Got named in the Cs, not sure on position yet, but will be happy enough to get a run on the field at some point.

Hey guys, sorta the same story from me as most posters, looking to play footy for the first time. However, I've never, EVER, played any team sport, and haven't done any fitness whatsoever for about three years. I'm 20, 183, and 88kg.w which is heavy for my height, but I'm genuinely not carrying much fat, but nor do I have a strong muscle base, I'm just a heavy dude it seems. I've had a few kicks with some mates, and looked and read alot of technique stuff. My ball drops real inconsistent, and what comes naturally to me doesn't seem to work. Any tips on base requirement fitness levels and stuff would be sick. Just for div 4 efl, nothing spesh. I haven't measured my punts or anything, but one time me and a mate were kicking it a fair way, (for us) maybe 40mt. I also get a lot of height on my kicks, and can't seem to keep the ball down!! Any sort of advice you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!

my advice is get a ball and boot it at a wall as hard as you can from 5 meters away and try and catch it, if you dont catch it do 5 pushups

Ah well the lower you hit the ball and lean over it, the lower the kick will be. When you lean back on the kick and hit it high in the ball drop is when it sails. Hope that made sense.

Other than that, the game is basically a lot of running, so go do that. :p

So...just do 5 push ups?
ah young grasshopper, let me quote my under tens coach: "you will keep ******* kicking that ball into that wall until you catch it ten times in a row! I don't care if it takes you all night we are not going home until you catch the bloody ball" - Under 10b coach

ah young grasshopper, let me quote my under tens coach: "you will keep ******* kicking that ball into that wall until you catch it ten times in a row! I don't care if it takes you all night we are not going home until you catch the bloody ball" - Under 10b coach

Unfortunately I kick the ball a lot harder than a 9 yo so the ball will have rebounded, hit me in the head and knocked me the * out before I have even finished my follow through

Hey everyone.

Just thought I'd share my current situation. I'm 21 years old and have never played footy in my life apart from once when I was 14 years old. I was largely overweight for my whole life (and still am slightly overweight) but have recently lost a few kilos and worked on my overall figure and would like to think I am a few kilos off where I need to be.

I am 6'4 and currently 103 kilos. At my heaviest I was 118.

Today I attended my first training session and I was overwhelmed at the amount of running that was involved and the physicality despite doing light physical work. I made it through the session in one piece and am looking forward to the imminent pain and soreness I'm going to feel tomorrow. It was hard keeping up with the pace of the session but I feel like I did well considering it is my first footy training session in just under 10 years. I trained with a pretty good club in a high division, reason being I know a lot of the boys there. My kicking was pretty shocking (probably only hit half my targets) but it felt really good to get out there and try something new.

Hey everyone.

Just thought I'd share my current situation. I'm 21 years old and have never played footy in my life apart from once when I was 14 years old. I was largely overweight for my whole life (and still am slightly overweight) but have recently lost a few kilos and worked on my overall figure and would like to think I am a few kilos off where I need to be.

I am 6'4 and currently 103 kilos. At my heaviest I was 118.

Today I attended my first training session and I was overwhelmed at the amount of running that was involved and the physicality despite doing light physical work. I made it through the session in one piece and am looking forward to the imminent pain and soreness I'm going to feel tomorrow. It was hard keeping up with the pace of the session but I feel like I did well considering it is my first footy training session in just under 10 years. I trained with a pretty good club in a high division, reason being I know a lot of the boys there. My kicking was pretty shocking (probably only hit half my targets) but it felt really good to get out there and try something new.

Keep at it mate. Do prepare yourself to play ruck in your clubs thirds team though.. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back