Have we raised the white flag when it comes to Port Power?

Remove this Banner Ad

They've successfully sucked up to the media and became everyones second team. I don't think thats ever going to be us. It wont always be them either. We won't have Fagan or Chapman doing half time interviews at away games etc. just wont happen.

FFS, I get so shitty when AFL360 has a wankfest over Port almost every week coupled with having the most punchable face on TV in Kochie at the helm and it is cringeworthy some of the stuff that comes out of Alberton with all the bs Never tear us apart.

We dont need to focus on getting members, we have them and plus big corporate sponsors too. If we can start winning some big games and remain consistent, we will wipe the floor and put the Power back in their place.

Granted we have lost 3 of the past 4 showdowns, but I am happy we won the last one and demonstrated that at our best we can always beat them.

Im happy with the ROOvolution at our Club over the past three months or so. Its going to take time to restore balance in this state of ours. Importantly we are on the right path and with a "soft" start to 2015 we should have a lot of momentum early on built up to have a good year in 2015.

FFS, I get so shitty when AFL360 has a wankfest over Port almost every week coupled with having the most punchable face on TV in Kochie at the helm and it is cringeworthy some of the stuff that comes out of Alberton with all the bs Never tear us apart.

We dont need to focus on getting members, we have them and plus big corporate sponsors too. If we can start winning some big games and remain consistent, we will wipe the floor and put the Power back in their place.

Granted we have lost 3 of the past 4 showdowns, but I am happy we won the last one and demonstrated that at our best we can always beat them.

Im happy with the ROOvolution at our Club over the past three months or so. Its going to take time to restore balance in this state of ours. Importantly we are on the right path and with a "soft" start to 2015 we should have a lot of momentum early on built up to have a good year in 2015.

I'm happy to see how things unfold from here over the summer. Signs are good so far. I think we can put a hold on the "Port are doing everything right off field and everything we do is wrong" thing for a while. Winning makes everything look a lot better.

Every young up and coming team who has exceeded peoples expectations is everyone 2nd favourite team.

Not a big issue imo

Mike Smyth with the meltdown -

What on earth are you talking about? Considering you've de-railed your own thread, I'll humour you - I've never smoked a cigarrette or used heroin in my entire life..

so I don't know what you are on about...
Maybe not first hand......

Our lameness works, yours doesn't.:drunk:

By what measure?

I put it to you that you just don't like it because its associated with us and if we were ripping off a soccer tradition third hand from the Newcastle Jets you'd still say the same thing just because its us.

I'm happy to see how things unfold from here over the summer. Signs are good so far. I think we can put a hold on the "Port are doing everything right off field and everything we do is wrong" thing for a while. Winning makes everything look a lot better.

Agreed. The only caveat I will say with putting a hold on the comparisons over summer, if we happen to sign the big 3 between now and March 2015 it is definitely massive runs on the board which is apt given its cricket season and IMO it will send a massive positive vibe around our city for the present and the future.

Seriously, to suggest one team is beating the other in game-day marketing/entertainment/experience is utter bullshit. How can it not be obvious to anyone that this is the case? if you want to measure who's got the biggest game-day dick, check out the attendance…whoa!!! I do believe the Crows had the biggest average crowd even though they played less popular teams in shittier timeslots….and yet - this ridiculous thread.

Good god kill me now if anyone thinks that pathetic, copied, cringeworthy, scarf-swaying, atrocity accompanied by a really really s**t song with that really really stupid, lame, 'they'll never tear us apart' hold-your hands-on -your-heart-and-go-all-misty-eyed bullshit, is anything more than a ****ing embarrassment.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just want to know what they do with the scarf waving when they are in the bottom 8 and after a few losses. 30,000 people doing it won't be particularly impressive and any less would just be straight up cringeworthy. We know they can get 35,000 fans at AO when up and about, and that form doesn't last forever.

My guess is it will disappear quicker than Kochies concert series.

People forget that Port almost folded and the tragedy it would be for football if/when they do. They don't have a reliable supporter base and require serious help in appealing to non port people to remain viable.

Lots of manufactured draws and positive press for a few years yet. Anzac day games might be what it takes to install a culture that appeals to more than what they tried to survive on.

At the same time we have took numerous hits from the AFL administration that makes no sense and has effected our ability on and off the field. People forget they we've always been taken for granted by the VFL.They can't take Port for granted with how close Port came to folding.

I'm a 20 year old male who doesn't remember the premierships.

I'm just saying, for a club that supposedly has terrible marketing, please explain why we had the best crowds in the AFL this year, and why I've never loved the Crows more than I do right now.

Let's save our money and spend it on the football department.

This has nothing to do with the 19th man concept though. As a port supporter I hope you keep it, it is forced and lame. When you see Phil Walsh through gritted teeth refer to the 19th Man 5 times in his first media appearance, you know it is a forced directive from above desperately trying to push it and it not taking hold after 2 years. When Rowey screams that the 19th man demands to know, you know he's been told to push it. I remember him asking Fagan if they were going to keep the 19th Man concept in his first interview, this illustrates that it still has not been accepted. It is forced and I thought your new board would have recognized that, it's kind of like New Coke. It hasn't worked guys, move on.
There is nothing wrong with the 19th man concept. Just how it is used and marketted. There isn't another Club in the AFL than has anything similar to it. If done right it could work exceptionally well, the problem is we have been led by a bunch of guys so out of touch that don't know how to make it work.

I think Fagan, being younger, at least recognises what it could be. He still has to pull it off, but he clearly likes the concept as an idea. It just is raw and needs work.

If anything I'd say we replaced our white flag with a jolly roger. The arrival of Ricciuto and the departure of Trigg brought about some pretty brutal changes.

The upside to Port playing well these past two years is that it expedited change at the Crows. Would any of this had happened if Port we're still a bottom 4 side? Competition is a natural part of any business. From a marketing and PR point of view, I'd say the afc has been shitting it's pants these past two years. They've finally realised how dire the situation was with Sando, made their move and overhauled the football department.

There's still more to be done but the admin and new football dept. looks much better on paper. I got most of what I wanted. New CEO, new head coach and a new forwards coach. I stuck the boot into Camporeale a fair bit but the players rate him very highly. He also now has Ryan O'Keefe helping him which can't hurt. Don't really know Teague as a coach but he was a tough player. Hopefully he can bring some guts and work ethic to the side.

Last edited:
Get rid of the incredibly forced and embarrassing 19th Man concept and 73% of your marketing lameness disappears over night.

You make a good point and I agree with you. I hate the 19th man s**t.

but still, this is more embarrassing...

art-port.jpg

Come on...on the Friday after the Thursday night game v Collingwood, when the interstate media was starting to talk up the 19th man being responsible for JJ's goal, who didn't start to identify with it and puff the chest a bit?

The whole issue is winning - you win and everything is cool. You lose and everything is lame.

If we had capitalised on that Thursday night exposure by launching into an exciting winning streak, the 19th man concept grows. As it was that momentum was immediately surrendered with s**t football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back