X_box_X's greatest 50 players since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Cause he is second best to Dangerfield NOW.

That's like comparing Judd to Beams. Beams is better than Judd now. Does that mean Beams should be ranked higher on this list than Judd?
If I remember correctly you didn't specify but all good.
IMO Cotchin shouldn't be in it but good list and thanks for writing it up! :thumbsu:

For interests sake, when was Cotchin ever better?

Brent Harvey: North Melbourne *

320 games, 392 goals, 173 Brownlow votes (0.54 per game)
Position: Midfield, Half Forward Flank
All Australian: 4 (2000, 2005, 2007, 2008)
Best and Fairest: 5 (2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010)
The smallest player in my list, Boomer stands at 167cm and weighs 75kg. Growing up, the Kangaroos champion had a huge decision to make, whether to accept a role in Home and Away, or to pursue an AFL career. He ended up getting the best of both worlds when he was drafted by North Melbourne with the 47th overall selection in the 1995 National Draft. Not only does Harvey run rings around his opponents, he often gets frustrated and stages for free kicks, which exemplifies his talented acting skills. The skillful, well balanced, fit, evasive, explosive, quick thinking an coordinated match winner has carved the opposition up for years and has a brilliant eye for goal. Not included in the achievements above are the Herald Sun Player of the Year award he won in 2008, the second-placed Brownlow Medal finish he achieved in 2007, back-to-back Lou Richards Medals in 2007 and 2008, as well as being a member of North Melbourne's Team of the Century. Averaging 1.23 goals, 22.83 disposals, 4.1 forward fifty entries, 2.49 clearances, 4.31 marks and a super impressive 2.93 running bounces per game, Harvey has often done all this by attracting the opposition's number one tagger. His average of 2.93 running bounces per game ranks him fifth since 2000, behind only Heath and Rhyce Shaw, David Rodan and Chris Yarran. Despite being a pensioner, Harvey averaged his highest possessions per game since 2001 this year, with 25.41.

If I remember correctly you didn't specify but all good.
IMO Cotchin shouldn't be in it but good list and thanks for writing it up! :thumbsu:

For interests sake, when was Cotchin ever better?
Danger has only been better since 2013. So his last two years. Cotchin had him covered before then, IMO. Don't forget, from 2008 to 2011, Dangerfield was very inconsistent and lacked fitness. He only averaged 13.22 disposals in his first four years. Cotchin averaged 20.08 disposals in his first four seasons.

Brent Harvey: North Melbourne *

320 games, 392 goals, 173 Brownlow votes (0.54 per game)
Position: Midfield, Half Forward Flank
All Australian: 4 (2000, 2005, 2007, 2008)
Best and Fairest: 5 (2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010)
The smallest player in my list, Boomer stands at 167cm and weighs 75kg. Growing up, the Kangaroos champion had a huge decision to make, whether to accept a role in Home and Away, or to pursue an AFL career. He ended up getting the best of both worlds when he was drafted by North Melbourne with the 47th overall selection in the 1995 National Draft. Not only does Harvey run rings around his opponents, he often gets frustrated and stages for free kicks, which exemplifies his talented acting skills. The skillful, well balanced, fit, evasive, explosive, quick thinking an coordinated match winner has carved the opposition up for years and has a brilliant eye for goal. Not included in the achievements above are the Herald Sun Player of the Year award he won in 2008, the second-placed Brownlow Medal finish he achieved in 2007, back-to-back Lou Richards Medals in 2007 and 2008, as well as being a member of North Melbourne's Team of the Century. Averaging 1.23 goals, 22.83 disposals, 4.1 forward fifty entries, 2.49 clearances, 4.31 marks and a super impressive 2.93 running bounces per game, Harvey has often done all this by attracting the opposition's number one tagger. His average of 2.93 running bounces per game ranks him fifth since 2000, behind only Heath and Rhyce Shaw, David Rodan and Chris Yarran. Despite being a pensioner, Harvey averaged his highest possessions per game since 2001 this year, with 25.41.
as in the show? haha that is hilarious. Good stuff. :D

Danger has only been better since 2013. So his last two years. Cotchin had him covered before then, IMO. Don't forget, from 2008 to 2011, Dangerfield was very inconsistent and lacked fitness. He only averaged 13.22 disposals in his first four years. Cotchin averaged 20.08 disposals in his first four seasons.
Fair enough. I personally think he overtook him in 2012 but I see where you are coming from now.

Luke Hodge: Hawthorn *

250 games, 167 goals, 115 Brownlow votes (0.46 per game)
Position: Midfield, Half Back Flank
Premiership: 3 (2008, 2013, 2014)
Norm Smith Medal: 2 (2008, 2014)
Best and Fairest: 2 (2005, 2010)
All Australian: 3 (2005, 2008, 2010)
The Hawthorn captain was drafted first overall by the Hawks in 2001, after they acquired the number one pick from Fremantle in exchange for Trent Croad and Luke McPharlin. At 185cm and 90kg, he is strong, courageous, skillful, well balanced, composed, fit and a tremendous leader. In his 250th and most recent game, Hodge captained the Hawks to his third flag, while winning the Norm Smith Medal for a second time. Since making his debut against Richmond in 2002, Hodge has averaged 22.01 disposals, 4.7 marks, 3.52 tackles, 2.79 rebounds from fifty, 3.55 forward fifty entries, 3.31 clearances, and kicks two goals in every three games. None of those stats are elite, but they are all above average, which shows he is an all round player who runs both ways. His ability to stand up in big games is next to none, although you may be surprised that he only averages 21.18 disposals in his 17 finals games. It's hard to argue with two Norm Smith Medals, though, and Hodge was Hawthorn's best player throughout their successful 2014 finals campaign. If you had to pick a player to go to war for you out on the footy field, Hodge's name would be somewhere near the top of the list. You can always count on him to be determined and relentless, as he often throws his body on the line and defends and produces one percenters, as evidenced by his smother on Travis Boak in the dying stages of this year's Preliminary Final. Another impressive trait in Hodge's game is his commitment to play whilst injured, as he did in the 2012 finals campaign. With Hodge approaching veteran status, but showing no signs of slowing down just yet, you can expect Hodge to play on for probably three more years to chalk up game number 300, and I would be surprised if he wasn't top ten in this list by the time he retires.

Fair enough. I personally think he overtook him in 2012 but I see where you are coming from now.

Wasn't Cotchin the Brownlow runner up 2012?

It's here. The top ten of X_box_X's greatest players of the 2000s.

Lenny Hayes: St. Kilda

281 games, 90 goals, 129 Brownlow votes (0.46 per game)
Position: Midfield
Norm Smith Medal: 1 (2010)
Best and Fairest: 3 (2003, 2010, 2012)
All Australian: 3 (2003, 2005, 2009)
At 186cm and 83kg, the way the Saints superstar and former captain played footy suggested to me he has a heart the size of Phar Lap. There wasn't much he couldn't do. He even had 176 hitouts in the 2000s, at an average of 0.65 per game. Drafted 11th overall in 1998, he is the highest ranked player on my list from New South Wales. I loved the way Hayes went about his footy. He was tough, courageous, relentless, evasive and fit. He was a born leader. He ran both ways and threw his body on the line at every opportunity. He always gave his heart and soul for his club and the Saints should be very proud of their former superstar midfielder. Some people will think I have Hayes rated too high, but you have to understand he performed to his limits every single week. He wasn't the quickest player we've ever seen by foot, but he was quick by mind, and his clearance work was elite. To illustrate how big his heart was, in 2006 against North Melbourne, Hayes exited the field with a suspected knee injury. He later returned to the field to finish the game. A couple of days later, he underwent a scan that determined he had ruptured his ACL, meaning he required a full knee reconstruction and didn't play again until the following year. Pain killers or not, that's a mighty effort. As a Bulldogs supporter, I feel Hayes ruined any chance we had of playing in the 2009 Grand Final. While Riewoldt is often considered to be the player who won the game for the Saints, I disagree. I believe it was Hayes' brilliant effort in the midfield that showcased a clear BOG performance with 34 disposals, 9 clearances, 7 forward fifty entries, six marks, four hitouts, a goal and three tackles. Remove Hayes from that game and I honestly think the Bulldogs would have won that Preliminary Final by at least a couple of goals. The following year, he won the Norm Smith Medal which was criticised by a lot of the public, who believed Goddard should have won the award. Not for mine. Not a chance. Hayes was instrumental in getting the Saints into a Grand Final replay. He had 32 disposals, 12 tackles, five clearances, five forward fifty entries, a goal and an elite five one percenters (league average for a midfielder is 1.2). He averaged 23.18 disposals, 3.81 marks, 5.28 tackles, 3.8 forward fifty entries, 4.43 clearances and 1.74 one percenters. Those stats indicate both a defensive side and an offensive side to his brilliant game.

I agree that Hayes was better than Goddard in that GF draw. #10 is about right. Great career

Great list. Not much to argue about here, other than stuff like Aker and Cotchin which has already been mentioned.
The top 9 could go in almost any order!

Curious how close Kane Cornes was to your top 50? Probably rate him somewhere around 70

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthew Pavlich: Fremantle *

313 games, 629 goals, 122 Brownlow votes (0.39 per game)
Position: Centre Half Forward
All Australian: 6 (2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008)
Best and Fairest: 6 (2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011)
With six of one and half a dozen of the other, the Fremantle captain has made a career out of winning Best and Fairest awards and being an All Australian. Other honours include being his club's leading goal kicker on seven occasions, as well as winning both the Geoff Christian and Rossing Glendinning Medals three times. The versatile Fremantle champion has been named in multiple positions in the All Australian team, namely Full Back, Centre Half Forward, Full Forward, Half Forward Flank and the Interchange. In fact, despite being regarded as a player who does his best work at Centre Half Forward, he has only been selected in that position once as an All Australian. Selected fourth overall in the 1999 National Draft, the 192cm and 99kg former South Australian is incredibly strong, powerful, athletic, mobile and versatile. He's a born leader who has been captain since 2007. Averaging over two goals per game, 17.71 disposals, 5.95 marks, 3.86 forward fifty entries, and even 1.6 clearances per game, Pavlich will be remembered as a player who can play absolutely everywhere and a player who has great game sense. Early on in his career, Pavlich occasionally contested a boundary throw in while in defence. He is the highest rated Fremantle player in my list and 2015 may very well be his final year. The main thing missing from Pavlich's CV is a premiership. With Fremantle very much in the hunt to win their elusive flag, hopefully they give their skipper a final game to remember.

Jonathan Brown: Brisbane

256 games, 594 goals, 112 Brownlow votes (0.44 per game)
Position: Centre Half Forward, Full Forward
Premiership: 3 (2001, 2002, 2003)
Coleman Medal: 1 (2007)
Best and Fairest: 3 (2007, 2008, 2009)
All Australian: 2 (2007, 2009)
Most Courageous: 3 (2007, 2008, 2011)
Jonathan Brown was drafted by the Brisbane Lions in 1999. One of the premier forwards of the 2000s took a little while to find his feet, going goalless in his first six matches in 2000, and getting fewer than two disposals in three of his first six matches. With only five goals from his 13 matches in his first season, and without a Rising Star nomination, no one could have predicted the brilliant career that awaited the 196cm, 104kg powerhouse Centre Half Forward. Brown's second season saw him win the first of three premierships. After he had won a third premiership in only his fourth season, he was unfairly compared to former Kanagroos champion Wayne Carey for the way he moved out on the field and kicked the footy. Another comparison Brown often receives is that of The Terminator, due to all the facial reconstructions he has been victim to, which includes numerous steel plates inserted in his face. Despite those comparisons to King Carey, and despite having won three flags by the time he was 22, Brown hadn't yet set the AFL world alight. His average of 14 disposals, 6 marks, 3.4 forward fifty entries and 1.3 goals per game in his three premiership years were a solid return, but nothing that suggested he would become a champion. His emergence into an out and out star arrived during his purple patch of 2006 to 2010, where he averaged 3.44 goals, 8.55 marks and 15.86 disposals. The powerful, courageous, inspirational, robust and deadly goal kicker made the AFL world take note in the sixth round of the 2005 season. Having missed the opening five rounds, he made his return against Essendon at Etihad Stadium, where he kicked eight goals and took 12 marks on then Essendon Full Back Ted Richards. The Big Brown Dog captained the Lions for seven seasons, and even captained Victoria in the 2008 Hall of Fame match. On top of his impressive achievements are three Robert Rose Most Courageous Player awards. Speaking of Brown and courage, I should also mention the courageous mark he took against Hawthorn at the MCG in 2001, which saw him fly back with the flight of the ball into a pack of Hawthorn defenders and teammates, where he launched himself and took a chest mark while in mid air. He had absolutely no fear for his safety and the effort, which won him Mark of the Year, is often shown on highlight reels. After retiring in 2014, Brown may wish to consider releasing a version of Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" on iTunes, which is his favourite Karaoke song to perform.

Brown definitely overrated.

It seems the guys who played throughout the years 2000-14 have been a little overrated compared to the ones who played only part.

Voss seems to be the exception.

Brown definitely overrated.

It seems the guys who played throughout the years 2000-14 have been a little overrated compared to the ones who played only part.

Voss seems to be the exception.

Well considering it's the best players from 2000 onwards, I'd say that's pretty reasonable.

Well considering it's the best players from 2000 onwards, I'd say that's pretty reasonable.

But I don't think the players who played for let's say 8-9 years should be pushed down just because another bloke played the whole 15 years. The guy who played all 9 years at the very elite level deserves to be rated higher than a guy who played 15 years but only had 7-8 elite years.

Most of the players who have been listed a bit lower due to them not playing their whole careers in this century actually played most of their best football in the 00s.

But I don't think the players who played for let's say 8-9 years should be pushed down just because another bloke played the whole 15 years. The guy who played all 9 years at the very elite level deserves to be rated higher than a guy who played 15 years but only had 7-8 elite years.

Most of the players who have been listed a bit lower due to them not playing their whole careers in this century actually played most of their best football in the 00s.
This list is purely what players have done from 2000 onwards, not counting what they've done before the new millennium. Otherwise you'd have Wayne Carey up near the top 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back