TroyUgle

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Eagles
So, you’re a seasoned Victorian coach who’s been offered an interstate job – you’ll be parachuted into a plum gig with the most exciting list in the country, with a premiership a matter of when, not if.

Are you?

a) Mick Malthouse in 1990
b) Leigh Matthews in 1998
c) Ross Lyon in 2012
d) Rodney Eade in 2014
e) All of the above

http://bit.ly/1zeYoFS

I can tell you it's not Eade.
Tasmanian who played at Glenorchy, Hawthorn, and Brisbane bears.
Assistant coach at the bears, before coaching sydney the bulldogs and a gig with the Figjam pies.
Not a victorian, and has been interstate without hesitation.
No parachute for Rocket.

Yeah it's definitely a pro Victorian team.

I can't believe the failed interstate coaches from the last decade haven't parachuted in to these jobs.

Names like Voss, Harvey, Sanderson, Craig, Primus surely should've got the job right? Or maybe not.

Mark Williams was in line for the GWS job. Unfortunately he couldn't either out last or defeat Sheeds. Worsfold would've been considered for sure. But he's got the AFLCA job. Now that's a golden parachute.

Eade is a horrible coach, I think the Suns made an error getting rid of whatshisname. They had shown steady improvement and had a very young side on the park riddled by injuries. Very harsh on whatshisname.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eade is a horrible coach, I think the Suns made an error getting rid of whatshisname. They had shown steady improvement and had a very young side on the park riddled by injuries. Very harsh on whatshisname.

Rodney Eade, like Rosco Lyon at St Kilda, totally left The Bulldogs list in a total mess when he was sacked. He is a decent game day coach, but his player and list management skills are appalling.

I think a few retired.Sydney Swans players don't think too much of Rocket either.

He definitely is a fallback/panic option for Gold Coast, whom i am sure, thought they had Bomber Thompson, signed and sealed.

You could say sydneys position improved greatly under Eade, and as a coach he won games he had no business winning

I am amused they say the AFL has no hand in this, they just hand over the dosh and let them get on with it ?

Thats criminal if it is. Established clubs are sacrificing for this, they deserve that as a minimum

Wasn't half bad... (Fyfe, Walters, Hill, Mundy, Barlow, Ballantyne...). They did play in a GF in 2013.
You mean in 2011 when
Walters was a complete package in 2012, So good infact they had to hold him back in the WAFL in fairness to other teams

whom i am sure, thought they had Bomber Thompson, signed and sealed.

I think they realised as soon as Bomber spoke at the Essendon B&F that he was just playing them to put pressure on Essendons Board to keep him and kick Hird to the curb (remember Bombers manager contacted the GCS first, not the other way around). It backfired big time on him, as the GCS soon dropped the idea of him coaching once they realised Bombers little game. Bomber screwed himself out of either job IMO.

Rodney Eade, like Rosco Lyon at St Kilda, totally left The Bulldogs list in a total mess when he was sacked. He is a decent game day coach, but his player and list management skills are appalling.

I think a few retired.Sydney Swans players don't think too much of Rocket either.
What about the fact he took them to a GF IN HIS FIRST YEAR after they were the leagues basket case in the early to mid 90s. He had them 4 goals up in the second quarter, and if not for an errant pass from Kelly to Lockett that missed, well he might have been a premiership coach.

What about the fact he took them to a GF IN HIS FIRST YEAR after they were the leagues basket case in the early to mid 90s. He had them 4 goals up in the second quarter, and if not for an errant pass from Kelly to Lockett that missed, well he might have been a premiership coach.
It isn't his coaching ability apparently it is his attitude, that's what the ex-players say anyway. Personally I think it is a great pick up for GC.

Think this is a great get. A few of the Suns boys are in for a big shock.

Any tips on who his 'Brian Lake' will be? Greg Broughton in a back pocket would want to have thick skin haha

It's all there for him. They have a very exciting list with the majority of it's young guns coming into the perfect experience bracket this coming season.

There is still a bit of pressure there however, If they don't crack the top 4 within 3 years there will be questions asked.

Choco should get another job. He is one of the best there is at developing young lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back