Employment Need a job - Applied at 6 shops, 2 months ago

Hey guys,

I applied at 6 shops(coles, safeway, kmart, big w, rebel sport, afl shop) at Southland Shopping Centre 2 months ago and haven't heard back from all except the AFL shop, who said i didn't get the job. It is most likely important to note that I am 16, going into year 11 at school, but I look younger than I am.

I'm just after some tips and hints as to how I can successfully do a good resume and hopefully end up with a job.

My previous work:
- SMJFL - field umpire
- Sandringham Football Club - gameday staff
- Candy Buffet Company
- Lifesaving Victoria - Resuscitation Course 2013

Thanks heaps guys,

Cheers,

NMD

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Do you list your employment history + skills utilised? Good references?

Do you list your employment history + skills utilised? Good references?
I listed my skills used, then my employment history and then my references.

Thanks for getting back to me

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd go skills utilised after each employment period at a certain place. Short explanation may be useful, however I'm no expert either.

Eg)
Umpiring
Nov 25 2008 - Sept 21 2010
- Communication: before/during/after games
- Time Management: during games, breaks
- Leadership: take control, set the standard early

Also when applying for different jobs, tailor your resume to suit the role. No use going for a job at an AFL Shop (retail), and putting all your other retail experience towards the bottom. Not saying you do that, but many would!

NM Design, have you tried any of the fast food stores nearby? Given you're 16, they would probably prefer to employ someone younger so they can save on the wages. I think a lot of them tend to employ high school students. Granted, it might not be the most glamourous part time job, getting the experience should allow you to then apply for better jobs in 1-2 years time.

From what I've heard, most fast food chains do a good job training you up too which would help with your skills and experience later on.

NM Design, have you tried any of the fast food stores nearby? Given you're 16, they would probably prefer to employ someone younger so they can save on the wages. I think a lot of them tend to employ high school students. Granted, it might not be the most glamourous part time job, getting the experience should allow you to then apply for better jobs in 1-2 years time.

From what I've heard, most fast food chains do a good job training you up too which would help with your skills and experience later on.

Hi mate,

Nah I haven't applied at any food stores, it didn't cross my mind. Good idea, I think I will apply at a few food stores!

Cheers,

NMD

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
Nope, going into year 12 next year, my parents reckon it's too late.

It's never too late but if your parents want you to focus on your studies to get into Uni I would recommend getting your RSA as soon as you turn 18 and apply at all the bottle shops so you have an income and some work experience. What were you thinking of studying?

Also if you are involved in any sporting clubs you could always do the canteen for cash handling & customer service experience to help build your resume. If you aren't you could umpire for some extra cash & to build your resume.

If you want any more suggestions yell out. Good luck for your year 12!

Did you hand your resume in in person or just online? Now would be the time for Coles and Woolies. I'd suggest just walking around the stores and asking if they have any openings. Don't forget Aldi, Myer, David Jones, and food court.

Meow

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2008
Moggs Creek
AFL Club
Geelong
Nope, going into year 12 next year, my parents reckon it's too late.

Didn't land my first 'proper' part time job until Year 11 (paper rounds don't really count), worked through Year 12 and uni. Never too late if you're organised, proactive and able to effectively manage your time.

I also applied for about half a dozen positions in the same timeframe you specified (3 months from memory) and was either knocked back or never contacted on every occasion. Just keep trying and you'll find something - there's always those 1-2 places in desperate need of workers.

Last edited:
Back