Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the thing. He's pretty much the only guy on the list with the spread of attributes he has.

Will he be one of thoe in between types where he isn't actually super efficient in any one particular area? Seems the only reasonable explanation as to why he was conintually overlooked despite playing reasonably good football.

what exactly has gone on

When did Hird finally start to assume control? There was a significant shift in what felt like a night.

We jumped shark about half way through the trade period and started the good old top up of a team that should still be building by both trading in oldies and forcing re-signings that are questionable.

Will he be one of thoe in between types where he isn't actually super efficient in any one particular area? Seems the only reasonable explanation as to why he was conintually overlooked despite playing reasonably good football.

Compared to O'Brien, Hams and Ashby?

Doubt it.

Think there has been a lot of emotion in our list management.

You can add Browne to the list of players who don't really have a stand out attribute.
Pretty fast and his kicks are at a good level.

In delisting and re-rookie'ing a player, you're doing to Aylett the same thing Carlton did to Scotland, Collingwood did to Gault last season and what St. Kilda will do with Schneider.

In delisting and re-rookie'ing a player, you're doing to Aylett the same thing Carlton did to Scotland, Collingwood did to Gault last season and what St. Kilda will do with Schneider.
Which we started with Rama, and more recently Steinberg

We are aware of the situation, we've been talking about it since the last week of trades. Everybody is just surprised a little at the player chosen.

We knew someone would be demoted to the rookie list, I'm just surprised it's Aylett.

I had NOB, Kommer and even Pears as more likely candidates.

Kommer was best 22 when healthy and Pears will be first called up to fill in on the D as long as hes healthy.... not sure how Aylett is ahead of either atm?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kommer was best 22 when healthy and Pears will be first called up to fill in on the D as long as hes healthy.... not sure how Aylett is ahead of either atm?
Kommer (yes I know he's contracted till the end of 2016) and Pears could both be candidates for delisting/trading next year though couldn't they? Kommer was pretty good as a defensive forward (i.e. locking down running defenders) but wasn't great offensively (10 goals in 19 games wasn't terrible, but you'd hope if he's best 22 again next year he up's his offensive output, especially if he's played as a small forward again). Doubt Pears will be contracted again (at least not by us), he provides decent depth yes but wouldn't be at all surprised to see us get rid of both him and Steinberg next year.

I'd say the lateness of Fletcher and Winderlich giving the club official confirmation has backed us into a bit of a corner and this is the result.
They were always planning to sign them though. At the very least, if they were was enough uncertainty there to cause a mess now, why sign Gwilt literally as soon as they could have?

They were always planning to sign them though. At the very least, if they were was enough uncertainty there to cause a mess now, why sign Gwilt literally as soon as they could have?
Too true, I thought Gwilt signing meant one or both of Pears and Steinberg would be gone.

I personally think it is more likely that whoever wrote the article made a mistake than Essendon overlooked the number of people they needed to delist.

After all this time over the last two years whereby people on here have been complaining about the amount of mistakes and poor research by journalists, it surprises me that you all are assuming the article was correct.

Regarding Aylett, I would suggest he would have assurances based on his output to be re-elevated. For all we know he may have put his hand up to take one for the team. Even if not, I think it's a bit of a toss up between a few and personally am happy it was not Pears. Pears is someone I think could be likely to be drafted by someone else. I don't think there is much chance of that happening with Aylett.

If it was quoted correctly. You would think that would be hard to screw up though. After everything else it is monumentally embarrassing to think EFC have screwed up something so simple and important.

Another option was Kerr screwed up the statement but Dodoro later pulled him aside and said "ahem...Rob, we actually need to make another change mate".

Would you make the call on a couple of them now? ie to use pick 66 and draft in a ruck. (club has said they won't do this, but I'm interested if you'd consider it).

N0 - Don't believe in delisting contracted players unless its for behaviourial issues.

Winderlich,Fletcher,Chapman,Pears, Browne,Hams, Dalgleish could all be gone.

Add O'Brien and Kavanagh to that list - That's 9 players.

Probably 2 or 3 survive but we will hit the draft in 2015.

Hope that 2015 is a bumper crop.

Pretty obvious now what we'll be doing in the rookie draft assuming Steinberg stays (still no news on that front annoyingly):
1st Rookie Pick: If we get De Goey and Cockatoo in the ND, this will have to be used on a ruckman you would think (or maybe a Baynham type as a Cat-B selection?).
2nd Rookie Pick: Kurt Aylett
3rd Rookie Pick: Conor McKenna (Cat-B rookie)
4th Rookie Pick: Jake Long (F/S rookie)

yeah I have no idea, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, rather than 'Adrian Dodoro can't count to 40'.

N0 - Don't believe in delisting contracted players unless its for behaviourial issues.

Winderlich,Fletcher,Chapman,Pears, Browne,Hams, Dalgleish could all be gone.

Add O'Brien and Kavanagh to that list - That's 9 players.

Probably 2 or 3 survive but we will hit the draft in 2015.

Hope that 2015 is a bumper crop.

Given the last draft we hit really hard was 2012 is that wise?

Gregory was a 5th round pick, he's gone, DVU was a 3rd round pick, he's gone as well, my interpretation of the club's moves this year is that the obvious retirees will go and then not a lot else, we get to bring in 3 quality draft picks to replenish the list, not cut other kids before their time and still have the experience and maturity Giles, Gwilt and Cooney have brought to the table to fill some of the void.

yeah I have no idea, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, rather than 'Adrian Dodoro can't count to 40'.

Given the last draft we hit really hard was 2012 is that wise?

Gregory was a 5th round pick, he's gone, DVU was a 3rd round pick, he's gone as well, my interpretation of the club's moves this year is that the obvious retirees will go and then not a lot else, we get to bring in 3 quality draft picks to replenish the list, not cut other kids before their time and still have the experience and maturity Giles, Gwilt and Cooney have brought to the table to fill some of the void.

O'Brien/Hams/Browne/Dalgleish/Aylett need to play 10+ games to survive - Can you see this happening ?

O'Brien is 4 years in system
Aylett is 5 years in System
Browne is 5 years in system
Pears is 8 years in system.
Dalgleish is 3 years in system
Hams 3 years in system
Kavanagh 4 years in system
O'Brien 4 years in system.

O'Brien/Hams/Browne/Dalgleish/Aylett need to play 10+ games to survive - Can you see this happening ?

O'Brien is 4 years in system
Aylett is 5 years in System
Browne is 5 years in system
Pears is 8 years in system.
Dalgleish is 3 years in system
Hams 3 years in system
Kavanagh 4 years in system
O'Brien 4 years in system.

Depends entirely on their form in the reserves for me, time in the system is irrelevant. I think Pears is done (save for him playing forward next year, which is entering hail mary territory), but apart from him I could see them all surviving even if they don't have 'breakout' years, and i'd certainly take any of them over a pick that is likely to fall after 70.

Aylett is obviously coming from a long way back though given his rookie listing

Compared to O'Brien, Hams and Ashby?

Doubt it.

Think there has been a lot of emotion in our list management.

Each of those mentioned bring something unique and outstanding to the table. What is Kurt's outstanding attribute?

(FWIW - I am a big fan of Kurt. I can understand the reasoning for his demotion that's all)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back