Opinion Poll - Who do we select with Pick 10 in the 2014 AFL National Draft?

Who do we select with Pick 10 in the National Draft 2014?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what anyone sees in Weller. I mean he looks ok. Doesn't look like a first rounder to me.

I've got a guy I'd take with the first pick.
Only thing that is making me think we won't, is because #14 would have got him, I think.

Looks better than Pickett to me. Has elite foot skills. In fact I'm not sure there's anyone at Geelong who kicks on both feet as well.
If I hadn't seen him bounce the ball, I wouldn't have known which side was his preferred side. He's that good.

He's not listed in the list above, and hasn't been mentioned once in this thread.
Jarrod Garlett.

Sadly for Fred, he is skinny :D

I like these highlights better than the AFL site because they haven't chopped out errors.

And then the AFL one (which shows more WA footy) can be found here.
http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine
And this is where you'll see deadly foot skills.

Could easily match your errant tips ...

We all get it wrong from time to time, and last year wasn't my finest crystal-ball work I gotta admit; forced to concede on Hamling, Horlin-Smith played far better than I suspected he would (for which I'm happy to have been wrong), and Kersten was nowhere near as ready to contribute as strongly as I hoped ...

maybe came out slightly in front on the Walker v Brown debate and arguably Blicavs, but these things are rarely proven definitively one way or another unless there's a delisting or some kind of milestone.

Well if you've tipped Walker you've won; Brown isn't there anymore. I'm sure I'm going to be reminded about that for at least the next year or so (remember, not a good thing to think a player has talent, or that hopefully he might make it). Whether that lasts another year or two given the ridiculous logjam of tall forwards/ruckmen-forwards we now have is going to be very interesting.

Well if you've tipped Walker you've won; Brown isn't there anymore. I'm sure I'm going to be reminded about that for at least the next year or so (remember, not a good thing to think a player has talent, or that hopefully he might make it). Whether that lasts another year or two given the ridiculous logjam of tall forwards/ruckmen-forwards we now have is going to be very interesting.

Yes but really it was a marginal and somewhat hollow 'victory' as I don't think anything was completely proven one way or another on the field (really enjoyed a couple of Walker's contested marks, but that's irrelevant obviously).
I took more satisfaction from originally arguing Walker should be upgraded from the rookie list ..

Anyway, I think we can agree that we all have skeletons in the closet when it comes to predicting the futures of untried/inexperienced AFL footballers.
Won't stop me from making my uneducated guesses again next season ;)

I'm not sure what anyone sees in Weller. I mean he looks ok. Doesn't look like a first rounder to me.

I've got a guy I'd take with the first pick.
Only thing that is making me think we won't, is because #14 would have got him, I think.

Looks better than Pickett to me. Has elite foot skills. In fact I'm not sure there's anyone at Geelong who kicks on both feet as well.
If I hadn't seen him bounce the ball, I wouldn't have known which side was his preferred side. He's that good.

He's not listed in the list above, and hasn't been mentioned once in this thread.
Jarrod Garlett.

I like these highlights better than the AFL site because they haven't chopped out errors.

And then the AFL one (which shows more WA footy) can be found here.
http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine
And this is where you'll see deadly foot skills.

Tenacious, Hill type.. they don't all need to b hulks :)

[B said:
J[/B]arrod Garlett.

Pretty impressive VC…thats the first I have seen of him. Kicks both feet and can give it a roost as well….and superb foot skills….

IS he the lad with the pregnant gf? Maybe he wants to stay in WA?

The Weller report on AFL.com has him slipping a little. Btw 8-15. Be right in contention I reckon with Ahern if we go mid.

Reminded me a bit of Skinny Bartel.

I was right there with you. Plenty of posts showing me saying brown needs chances. Get the water, flour and feathers ready.

Go Catters

What weller has is hard to quantify or see in short clips,its just 'time'.everything he does he looks like he has time and he is very calm under pressure.

Very professional and hardworking in his prep too,is one of those guys who will give himself a good chance to play early like duncan did.

I like garlett a lot but he will get to 14 and beyond easily-we traded up to get someone we didnt think would last to 14.

What weller has is hard to quantify or see in short clips,its just 'time'.everything he does he looks like he has time and he is very calm under pressure.

Very professional and hardworking in his prep too,is one of those guys who will give himself a good chance to play early like duncan did.

I like garlett a lot but he will get to 14 and beyond easily-we traded up to get someone we didnt think would last to 14.
Yeah Garlett's got as much chance of being picked at ten as I do.

Forgetting all the tricks that Weller does possess, he is just a natural footballer that knows what to do with it when he gets it.

I sure hope so.

I just have this uncomfortable feeling that we are going to 'reach' for someone who we could have perhaps got with even 21, rendering the swap of 14+35 for 10+47 quite pathetic.

Time will tell.

I still wish we hung on to 21, we could have gone key position and nabbed someone like Garlett, Cockatoo, Blakley. Oh well.

Pretty impressive VC…thats the first I have seen of him. Kicks both feet and can give it a roost as well….and superb foot skills….

IS he the lad with the pregnant gf? Maybe he wants to stay in WA?
No it's Pickett that 'apparently has a pregnant GF and has said he will go anywhere but would want to get back to WA at some time.
And if you look at his vid, he tries to get away with too much I reckon. Garlett doesn't do that.

When I looked at the vision of Weller I said to myself "what bloody level of footy is this?" (I still don't know).
Because there was pretty much zero pressure being applied.

Yes he looked ok at whatever level that was.

If only all other teams with picks 2-9 already have who they are going to get sorted, St. Kilda make a shock call with the No.1 Draft Pick, and Petracca slips to Pick 10 :D That sure would be nice :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it's Pickett that 'apparently has a pregnant GF and has said he will go anywhere but would want to get back to WA at some time.
And if you look at his vid, he tries to get away with too much I reckon. Garlett doesn't do that.
Where do you guys get your I
Pickett doesnt have a pregnant girlfriend you Idiot, get your facts right before you start rumors, the boy doesnt drink dont swear and is very respectful.

Pickett doesnt have a pregnant girlfriend you Idiot, get your facts right before you start rumors, the boy doesnt drink dont swear and is very respectful.

It was off your board weeks ago.
Steady on the abuse numb nuts.

Weller is all class. Would be stoked if he was still there for us. Reminds me of David Swallow a bit, moves a lot like him and has better foot skills. Still think we might go tall but we could definitely do with a top quality classy mid who knows how to use the ball.

When I looked at the vision of Weller I said to myself "what bloody level of footy is this?" (I still don't know).
Because there was pretty much zero pressure being applied.

Yes he looked ok at whatever level that was.

That's fair and it's an issue all recruiters have with rating div 2 players compared to div 1 players because the standard of opposition isnt as good.

I will say a couple of things though, firstly I just think Weller doesn't get rated as much as some of the other first round picks and he doesn't do the 'wow' things regularly but he reminds me a lot of Mitch Duncan, he wins the ball, uses it so well, gets it where it needs to go, is cool under pressure, doesn't make mistakes. He's one of the safest bets in the pool to play 200 games I think, and that shouldn't be underrated. A lot of recruiters rate him as the best player out of QLD since Beams and while he has a way to go, I do see the same potential in him.

The other thing to keep in mind is though he doesnt qualify as a zone selection because he hasnt lived in qld long enough (they only went up there after his brother was drafted) he has been in the GC academy setup for some time. This means he has a lot more exposure to training and playing against mature adult bodies, and the professionalism of afl setups, than what most div 2 players have. It's one of the reasons I think he won't find the big jump from div 2 to afl level as hard as most players do and he will adjust quite quickly.

Son of God , meto , considering it a p10 conversation I thought Id briing it here. Just having a look at the players on list at the top , Wrights not even there. My question would be is he a player that is happy doing ruck work , he say he is a forward , AFL site says CHF but we would need him to play ruck some of the time and want it.
I'm sure he'd be willing to play whatever role we require him to, otherwise his character then becomes an issue, and for that I'd definitely pass.

The club would have done their due diligence and spoken to him anyway, so if he's drafted, he'll know what we expect of him in the future, and he'll be happily in agreeance.

Son of God , meto , considering it a p10 conversation I thought Id briing it here. Just having a look at the players on list at the top , Wrights not even there. My question would be is he a player that is happy doing ruck work , he say he is a forward , AFL site says CHF but we would need him to play ruck some of the time and want it.

Hypothetically, as you said, he's going to spend time in the two's,... no doubt he'll further his ruck development there. Because we recruited well with talls, we now have have the luxury of developing this kid properly without throwing him in the deep end to soon, as Collingwood with Grundy.
He can play CHF in the two's this will accommodate the extra tall if need be.
I'm not sure what Wells and Balme would be thinking faced with this scenario.

Seeing we are screaming out for a long term ruck, if Wright fell to us, then we would just have to take him wouldn't we?
If Wells and Balme aren't Molly the Monk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back