Fan Experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Good evening Power fans, please pardon my intrusion.

Firstly, congrats on a great season and the incredible attendances you've managed at AO this year, pretty inspiring stuff.

I'm a regular listener to your podcast, which I really enjoy (like to listen to footy people talking footy, etc), anyway, I noted they often talked about stuff you were doing at AO to improve the fan experience.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly have you done there this year that is unique in the AFL?

Regards...
Nothing really, it's just making an event people feel they want to be at, rather than it be an obligation as support sometimes feels.

This is the centrepiece. It's something that has grown organically among the support base after a bit of seeding by the club.

The great thing about NTUA is that it has arisen out of our recent history, yet has a genuine sentiment attached to it that all Port Adelaide supporters can identify with. It would have been very easy make our glorious 144 year history the focus, but then we would be accused of living in the past.

The other clubs will be doing well to come up with anything as authentic as our pre-match experience, but there's some grand stories to be told so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

KT in his interview on 5AA said we are going to crank the pre game stuff up for next year. Reckons the March from the Mall can improve even more especially night matches. Said he watched the Reds army march over for their game against the Victory the other week and said it was unbelievable. Sounds like the lighting on the bridge might be used and doing things before you even get to the game.

KT said he doesnt like us to stand still when asked about the match day experience and if any change. Loves INXS and other moments - wants whole match day experience re energized. We focus on stuff that really worked but there was stuff that didnt work wants to take that out and replace it. From 7.05 to 8.55 listen to KT talking about match day experience.

I like it. Each team with their own identity creating their own unique environment for their home games. I just hope we don't go too crazy. Our pre game for the Hawks and blues was perfect so please please port don't change it. You don't even need the fireworks.

The fireworks are awesome, you don't realise how many kids love fireworks, adds a whole new level to the heroes running out theme

i'd keep it for "bigger" games though

Can someone take off my teal coloured glasses and tell me what didn't work?

Not Giving In sometimes was stuffed up when it was played - think they completely missed playing it it one game. Some of the crap on the big screen. Some of the crap at half time / breaks. Also they sometimes do stuff 45 minutes to 20 minutes before the game. Im usually at the white marquee bar then so I miss that. Dont know how good or bad that was. Driving Tredders around in a big Dodge I think it was, after he was inducted into the Australian Football HofF was a highlight for me.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The DJ battles they did a few times before the game

Yes. Ugh.

And that noise-o-meter crap before the Essendon game. We sure got what we deserved that day.

and Kickin' for Chicken is painful to watch when people don't know how to kick a footy into a huge bucket.

I still want to see how Butch would go as a Kickin' for Chicken contestant.

Not Giving In sometimes was stuffed up when it was played - think they completely missed playing it it one game. Some of the crap on the big screen. Some of the crap at half time / breaks. Also they sometimes do stuff 45 minutes to 20 minutes before the game. Im usually at the white marquee bar then so I miss that. Dont know how good or bad that was. Driving Tredders around in a big Dodge I think it was, after he was inducted into the Australian Football HofF was a highlight for me.

Ironically we try these 'game day experience' things - in part - to get a few punters in earlier, to grow the (catering) pie for the SMA. At the same time as thinking well **** it any increase in our game day revenue is going to be at their expense, whether they bloody well know it or not. Shouldn't be this hard but then a club shouldn't be forced to compete with their ****ing landlord in order to be able to put a bit of cash away for a ****ing rainy day.

I quite liked the electricity surging around the ground in a couple of the pre games...

Maybe this could be incorporated into the match after goals (like an upgrade to the crow thing)

I think what makes our experience better for us, and more able to get the fan's involved is simply how the phrase "Never Tear Us Apart" is such a descriptive phrase for the crap our club has dealt with over the last 25 years. 1990, the SANFL, One Club, 2007 to 2012, Vegas... we're still here, our supporter base is united and engaged. Whatever happens, no one will ever tear us apart.

Ultimately the fan experience is a sense of being, feeling that in some way the incessant chanting and yelling that you, as a supporter are putting in, is lifting the team to greater heights and bringing them home. A turnabout in play seems to magically appear as the shouting from the Port supporters gets louder and quieter from the opposition supporters. This was most obvious at the preliminary final where our supporters never gave up even though we were 28 points down in the last quarter and most of the Hawthorn supporters were quietened until after the siren.

I don't know about you but my feeling after that game was that not just the players but all of us had done our bit. I think I may have done too much as I threw my back out in the last few minutes with shouting.

songs for crows if they want INXS...

* bitter tears
* baby don't cry
* mystify
They wont go for them ..
How about Click go the Shears..
Click goes his shears; click, click, click. replace that with Click go their needles, click, click, click,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back