Android phones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Might head down to the Telstra store tomorrow and see what deal I can wrangle. I've got another month or two on my contract so I'm hoping they'll waive it if I sign up to a slightly higher plan, or let me pay it out. I wouldn't mind the Z3, and the PS4 offer/comp + Telstras free "new phone feeling" deal makes it even more tempting, but I'm not completely sold on it. Hopefully they have a working one in store that I can play with.

I'd rather not wait till April for the next lot of phones to come out.

The last time I talked up the M8, I got shot down and called a fanboy. I couldn't help that I was over the moon with the M8, it's bloody amazing. Anyone else got one?

Speaking of battery life in the above post, I'm still loving how good the M8 battery is. I've had 4G running all day, have left wifi on, used it moderately, yet I still have 84% left after work since taking it off charge this morning.

I'm a HTC man myself but this non replaceable battery is a bit of a killer for me. My battery lasts no more than 3-4 hours and I'd love to be able to just buy a new one and stick it in, if probably never need to buy a new one.

That's a fair call. Just about the only thing I'm not happy with. But it hasn't been an issue yet, I can keep it going well into day 2 without a recharge. That's not including the extreme power saving mode which I haven't had to use yet.

What model do you have at the moment?

That's a fair call. Just about the only thing I'm not happy with. But it hasn't been an issue yet, I can keep it going well into day 2 without a recharge. That's not including the extreme power saving mode which I haven't had to use yet.

What model do you have at the moment?

I've got an old HTC one X. It stills works fine over two years after release so I haven't needed to upgrade.

I still have that one as well, I use it as my work phone. Still pretty solid! My battery wasn't lasting very long either, but I found something online which miraculously fixed it (fixed my wife's too).

Have it turned off, then press both volume buttons at once and then the power button. Hold them all for 3 minutes, the screen will flash and then come on. I'm not sure how it worked, or why, but it did.
I'm pretty sure that was the process anyway, I'll have a quick look and let you know. Worth giving it a shot. It doesn't do a factory reset or anything.

And yet pathetic and petty Samsung go to the trouble to make commercials saying that iPhone batteries are bad. It's quite clear that no smartphone has an acceptable battery life. That is disappointing. Even in this technological age when we can supposedly achieve anything, I doubt battery life is likely to see much change over the next 5-10 years.

I suggest that is not normal and you are either a very light user, use some kind of battery saving mode or app, or have tuned it very well to absolutely maximise battery life. The S5 has a huge battery, 2800 mAh, getting close to the territory of the Note series. All iPhones have small batteries except for the 6+.

And yet pathetic and petty Samsung go to the trouble to make commercials saying that iPhone batteries are bad. It's quite clear that no smartphone has an acceptable battery life. That is disappointing. Even in this technological age when we can supposedly achieve anything, I doubt battery life is likely to see much change over the next 5-10 years.

You can't really blame smartphone companies for the fact that microprocessor tech moves faster than battery tech, and that microprocessor/display tech has been getting more power hungry. It's going to hit a point where they'll stop chasing speed and prettier pictures and start looking at power usage reduction, and let battery tech catch up, but right now bigger and faster seems to be the way they're going.

I think it's starting to turn around......... slowly. Samsung has their power saving modes, Sony seem to be getting very good battery life on their new devices. To be honest the most disappointing company is Apple, they run purpose built processors, for software with fake multi-tasking (iOS8 apparently has something closer to the real thing), and this latest phone has a battery 1000mAH short of the competition and a smaller screen in a body roughly the same size as the competitors. I don't understand why they aren't killing the competition off by cramming a bigger battery in there.

this latest phone has a battery 1000mAH short of the competition and a smaller screen in a body roughly the same size as the competitors. I don't understand why they aren't killing the competition off by cramming a bigger battery in there.
Of course you refer to the iPhone 6 which does have a disappointing non-removable Li-Po 1810 mAh battery. Some rumours were indicating it would be 2100 mAh. The 6+ has a 2915 mAh battery which is closer to what people would expect. And there is the size of the phones themselves. Apple were expected to have minimal side bezel and many would expect the top bezel to be much smaller than it is too.

I'd say Samsung is winning the war with regards to battery life but I don't think the difference experienced is as great as Samsung would like people to believe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nexus 6 running Lollipop :) http://www.google.com/nexus/6/

5.96” 2560x1440 QHD AMOLED display (493 ppi)
16:9 aspect ratio
Gorilla Glass 3
Dual front-facing speakers
802.11ac 2x2 (MIMO), Bluetooth 4.1, NFC
32GB, 64GB
82.98mm x 159.26mm x 10.06mm, 184g
3220mAh battery
Midnight Blue, Cloud White

Nexus 6 | 5.96" | 2560x1440 | 493ppi | 82.98 | 159.26 | 10.06 | 184g
\ iPhone 6+ | 5.50" | 1920x 800 | 401ppi | 77.80 | 158.10 | 7.10 | 172g

Telstra's screwups over the Z3 has me thinking I'll just wait till next year, it sounds like it could be another month away. The Snapdragon 810 chip should be in the next lot of flagships early in the year and could enable some handy features.

Telstra's screwups over the Z3 has me thinking I'll just wait till next year, it sounds like it could be another month away. The Snapdragon 810 chip should be in the next lot of flagships early in the year and could enable some handy features.

That's probably not going to happen. Snapdragon 810 hasn't started sampling yet, and it takes at least half a year after sampling to progress to general availability.

I'd expect the first batch of smartphones next year to run the Snapdragon 805

I'm done with this phone, pre-ordered a Z3 through Telstra with a free smartwatch, a couple of contract bonuses, and a chance to win a PS4.

I get free "new phone feeling" so I can upgrade for free after 12 months

I like how Samsung release legit extended batteries for their phones. I bought a 3000mAh battery for my S3. Because the battery is physically bigger, it also comes with another back cover. Still have NFC.

Did you buy an aftermarket one or an original?

I'm looking into it for my new phone, one less cable at work would be awesome (I'm currently at 5 USB cables plus my phone charger)

What phone do you have?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back