Pakistan vs Australia (in the UAE)

Remove this Banner Ad

anyone know why clarke put a fielder behind the bowlers arm. pretty poor in my eyes. i know who would be first to complain if it was the other way round

As long as he doesn't move (stationary) it is a valid field position.

Give it a rest will ya.

When the time comes we'll let you be trigger man given you're in the SAS (Siddle Assassination Squad)...

You seem just a bit too eager to see him gone....

But you want Hughes back in LOL! How many ******* chances has he had already and squandered.

Dumb post.

I like Siddle, and I wish he was killing it (I don't care what state the players are from, SA are s**t), but he's pedestrian, and has been for a long time.

He's effectively a medium pace trundler now - having one of your quicks only capable of bowling 128-135 is a complete waste of time.

He was a good stopgap, and he had some great years, but he's cooked now, and the sooner he's replaced, the better.

Dumb post.

I like Siddle, and I wish he was killing it (I don't care what state the players are from, SA are s**t), but he's pedestrian, and has been for a long time.

He's effectively a medium pace trundler now - having one of your quicks only capable of bowling 128-135 is a complete waste of time.

He was a good stopgap, and he had some great years, but he's cooked now, and the sooner he's replaced, the better.
He also nearly got Younis out with one of the few deliveries to deviate.

Judge him when he gets back to more bowler friendly conditions in Australia,

He'll be better there, after all we only got 2-304... So radical idea here... Not really bowler friendly conditions. Our best bowler only got 1 wicket, and arguably Hafeez was mostly to blame for that. Also the guy some wanted to replace Siddle, in Starc, did absolutely no better.

Hence why I say judge them once back in Australia.

So he was mixing it up at times with cutters, which slow down the speed. He will play at the Gabba, which pleases me:)

No. Our last series in Australia, our bowlers were sublime, you don't suddenly change away from that setup because they have struggled in the UAE or County cricket, both of which are vastly different conditions.

Siddle, Johnson and Lyon will play at the Gabba. Harris is the giant unknown atm.

Siddle is by no means a lock for the first test this summer. He was the worst of our 4 bowlers last summer and then was dropped in South Africa. He's only back in the team now due to injuries, and given the fact he's still not performing, I'm sure the selectors will be having second thoughts about him again.

It's a shame Harris and Pattinson won't be fit, but we have plenty of other options meaning we don't need to play an under performing Siddle or Starc in Australia. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of Coulter-Nile and Hazlewood get a go.

I watched Fawad Ahmed get towelled by Marcus Stoinis at Port Fairy last weekend, I shudder to think what Younis Khan would do to him.
bombersno1 would be wanting Warne dropped if he was bowling in this game. It doesn't really matter who we pick, they will always be terrible and there will always be someone better who we should've picked instead.

He also nearly got Younis out with one of the few deliveries to deviate.

Judge him when he gets back to more bowler friendly conditions in Australia,

He'll be better there, after all we only got 2-304... So radical idea here... Not really bowler friendly conditions. Our best bowler only got 1 wicket, and arguably Hafeez was mostly to blame for that. Also the guy some wanted to replace Siddle, in Starc, did absolutely no better.

Hence why I say judge them once back in Australia.

So he was mixing it up at times with cutters, which slow down the speed. He will play at the Gabba, which pleases me:)

Because he's the only genuine bowler we're playing.

There's no way we should be making major changes to the team based on this series. Winning on the sub-continent requires a lot more planning and preparation than is generally possible these days - all part of the shift to teams winning easily at home and losing away. Makes wins like South Africa all the more rare.

At this stage, we should be planning on who gets bedded down in the series against India to back-up for the 2015 Ashes. These tests will soon be forgotten.

Who got more movement of the pitch than Siddle could dream of, and also had insane accuracy and really sharp, climbing bounce.

Comparing Siddle to McGrath is lunacy.
but your argument was based purely on speed. i know that sids doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breathe as pigeon. speed isn't everything

but your argument was based purely on speed. i know that sids doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breathe as pigeon. speed isn't everything

He's pedestrian.

McGrath had other weapons, Siddle doesn't.

When he's bowling ~145kph, he's not bad, take that away from him, he's a medium pacer who doesn't swing it and doesn't consistently move it off of the pitch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To trouble test class batsman you need to be bowling at least over 135 or be able to extract good bounce or movement

Siddle isn't capable of doing any of that.

Boof thinks the same way. Siddle was dropped in South Africa. He then played country cricket and was mediocre there (a continuation of his mediocre form from South Africa). He got selected in the test team again due to injuries and hasn't done anything that indicates that he deserves to keep his spot.

Especially since the Indian tour is the ideal tour to blood a new young quick the same way we blooded Pattinson before.

He's pedestrian.

McGrath had other weapons, Siddle doesn't.

When he's bowling ~145kph, he's not bad, take that away from him, he's a medium pacer who doesn't swing it and doesn't consistently move it off of the pitch.
hang on.. i think you think we're arguing this. i'm agreeing with you

Put it this way- nobody on this board would be unhappy if Siddle were dropped for the Gabba because Harris and Pattinson were fit.

Why Pattinson- because he's produced it at test level. So why not give one of the younger blokes ago? Hazlewood has height, accuracy and reasonable pace. Coulter-Nile has pace, decent accuracy and moves the ball.

Mark Waugh said they were both kept out of the T20s so they could play shield. They've both been on the verge of test selection for a few years. It's time.

With the spinners and the batsmen we don't have much depth or emerging talent so we sort of have to stick with what we've got. We've actually got freedom with the quicks

Still holding out hope Smith comes in at 3. Shown terrific maturity over the past 18 months and has been one of our most consistent batsmen.

Would reckon this is the perfect opportunity to see how he handles it..........and let that other one have a bash at 6.

It would be extremely poor captaincy from Clarke if Maxwell is thrown into the deep end at 3. Maxwell bats 5 or 6 in FC cricket while Smith is coming off a shield final where he batted at 3 and made a hundred. I think he also averaged over a hundred in 4 innings at 3 last year.

I'd rather see is bowl either straight with a stacked leg side and a man at cow for the spinners or with a stacked off side with a couple in slip and a lot in covers and a big tempting gap through mid wicket and bowl a foot outside off than the crazy fields Clarke has set.

Sub continent cricket is about building pressure, keeping the runs down and bowling to plans. Often playing boring cricket and risking a draw as well as factoring in that teams will go out easily late in the match. Couldn't see a lot of that in our tactics.

It's the exact opposite to how Clarke likes to play. He's good when we're playing on bouncy, grassy decks where there's swing, seam and bounce. Clarke like most Australians need to leave their ideas of the game at home. Rather than bowling right at the batsmen with short legs, slips etc (save this for the first 10 overs), bowl a line, mix up the pace, stack a side, strangle up the runs, bowl a heap of dots, prepare to be boring and to take the game deep into the last day. Slow patient cricket is required which may not be in Clarke's persona.

With Lyon he bowled down legside far too much, needs to be bowling outside off and hitting off stump and with left handers, pitching it on around off stump. We need a few fielders out to stop them getting singles etc off him and a man out for the slog and try and build pressure and force them to slog. Set a field where if Lyon bowls well they have to hit him hard/in the air to score and challenge them that way. Our field for him allowed them to score and work him around far too easily. We were never going to pressure them into hitting a false/bad shot.

The quicks, I'd like to set a strong in/out off side field and a gap through mid wicket to tempt a false shot and one or two in slips, maybe a slip and a gully. Just bowl a foot outside off all day, mix the pace up until they start going at it, then bowl a few real wide ones and get them reaching for it, surely you'd build pressure and catch them out. You could do similar with a stacked onside field and attack the wickets and put in the odd short ball and slower ball, particularly if there was reverse swing. Siddle would be ideal to implement this, starc probably as well.

Just my thoughts but we definitely failed to build pressure and stop the ones and twos which IMO are more important than stopping the odd boundary.

Again, we tactically have everything all wrong. Selection wise we are much the same, all we need to do is take an accurate wrist spinner every time we play in the sub continent, we have young spinners who are good enough and ideal for over there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back