Opinion First Captain under Walsh?

Remove this Banner Ad

You both need to keep up.

I'm addressing "I'm honestly struggling to think of a game where I can say, 'bugger me, vB really changed the course of that game'."
There's probably some examples in 2012, but I can't sit here and recall every minute of every match. Just like you can't actually give me any specific examples of 1) poor leadership & 2) a turnover that led to a goal. You just want to sling mud, without backing it up.
I'd love to give an example from 2014, I really would. I've stated before his first half of 2013 was poor.

I posted one for ya :)

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay?round=CD_R201201408&matchId=CD_M20120140808

Well he didn't play last year, that makes it feel like longer :)

I think you are guessing what you see as a lack of inspiration to the players. It could be something as simple as how disciplined he is, how hard at the contest he is, how he sacrifices himself with running and covering.

I guess what I'm questioning is how effective his 'inspiration' has been. I'm sure he's tried to inspire his teammates in different ways. And I'm sure many of them genuinely admire his work ethic, motivating speeches, sensible hair - whatever. At the end of the day though, the only thing we can measure it on (at least from a gameday perspective) is how they responded to him. And I'm honestly struggling to think of any instances in his captaincy where he has had a visible impact on the team, in anywhere near the same way that I have unmistakably seen some other captains do so when their team needed them to over the years.

I'm sure he's set an outstanding example to the other players in terms or preparation, professionalism etc.. But for me, they are all secondary things that should be performed by a captain. The primary role (at least imo as a supporter) is for it to be the first person we (and the players) look to when the chips are down and something needs to be done to positively alter or affect the course of the game, and inspire those around him to do the same. We've had heaps of those scenarios in the last few years, and rarely if ever have I observed vB deliver on that part of the contract.

Again, I've no doubt the players love vB and admire how he goes about it. But that clearly isn't enough, and I reckon Walsh recognised that. . It's why he's taking the final decision from the players and putting it back in the coaches hands (which is the way it should be imo).

I guess what I'm questioning is how effective his 'inspiration' has been. I'm sure he's tried to inspire his teammates in different ways. And I'm sure many of them genuinely admire his work ethic, motivating speeches, sensible hair - whatever. At the end of the day though, the only thing we can measure it on (at least from a gameday perspective) is how they responded to him. And I'm honestly struggling to think of any instances in his captaincy where he has had a visible impact on the team, in anywhere near the same way that I have unmistakably seen some other captains do so when their team needed them to over the years.

I'm sure he's set an outstanding example to the other players in terms or preparation, professionalism etc.. But for me, they are all secondary things that should be performed by a captain. The primary role (at least imo as a supporter) is for it to be the first person we (and the players) look to when the chips are down and something needs to be done to positively alter or affect the course of the game, and inspire those around him to do the same. We've had heaps of those scenarios in the last few years, and rarely if ever have I observed vB deliver on that part of the contract.

Again, I've no doubt the players love vB and admire how he goes about it. But that clearly isn't enough, and I reckon Walsh recognised that. . It's why he's taking the final decision from the players and putting it back in the coaches hands (which is the way it should be imo).

I hear you, but that is a very specific definition of a captain's role.

"Inspire your team mates and lift them with 'captain's goals' and captain's tackles' etc, make a visible impact on the team for all of the spectators to see".

Being captain is as much about a whole heap of other stuff as it about actually playing the game. Respect is pretty important. I'd say diplomacy too.

Again, I'm keen to see the direction the new coaching group take with the captaincy and what it means for the new AFC.

I would make Tex captain bit left field but he bleeds for our club and I can see it making him an even more dominant player, I would follow him into battle

Jonathan Brown type captain.

Or even in the Roo mould.

Both guys love the club, have a bit of a larrikin them but underneath that are actually quite astute.

Yes I am talking about Tex. Has a great footy brain and when you actually listen to what he says in the media and the way he plays his footy and evolved as a more complete footballer he aint no fool.

I am starting to move towards Dangerfield being my preferred captain for a number of reasons.

As many have said - the role of leader on the field cannot be assigned to one person anyway. Sloane / Danger / Tex / Talia / Smith are all leaders no matter what arm-band they have on.

Captaincy is as much about off-field / behind the scenes stuff as on the field in my book.

Dangerfield loves the media, and handles it really well ... I don't think it would influence his life in a negative way, I actually think he would thrive in it.

He ticks all of the boxes - from the many different ideas on captaincy, hell I even heard he is ace at tossing the coin :)

And although it may not fit well with some to use the position as a carrot, I think Danger would legitimately value the captaincy. Using it to sign him up for another 3-4 years would be fine with me.

My dream scenario would be to announce before Xmas the contract extensions of Tex, Sloane and Danger while announcing the C / VC / leadership group. Not sure where Talia and Smith sit in terms of contract status - but it would be massive to get them into the long-term signed up column as well.

Would really send a strong message to the team, the supporters and the rest of the competition about what we are aiming for in the coming years.

I think realistically these are our options

Van Berlo
Sloane
Dangerfield
Walker
Talia

VB probably loses the captaincy on the basis that you need to perform on the field. That's unknown. He has not played since 2013 and even during that season, he probably would have been dropped a couple of times if he wasn't the captain.

Dangerfield probably gets ruled out because he remains unsigned by Christmas but would otherwise be a worthy captain albeit IMHO, not the best option.

Sloane would have to be the favourite. He has captain written all over him, is universally loved by the players, leads by example on the field and is very marketable off the field. He is probably the new Lenny Hayes in terms of how much he is loved and respected by everyone in the AFL not just his team or Crows fans. A clear favourite for mine.

Walker is also a bit of a spiritual leader of the club like Sloane. He is loved by players and supporters alike but is a bit of a lad. Very loyal and performs in big games. He has that ability to pick the team up and lead by his sheer talent and football brilliance.

Talia is a bit of a darkhorse in this race but I would not be surprised if he ends up being a captain. Immaculate in his preparation, performs on the game day....he rarely gets beaten and is a similar type of leader to Darren Glass whom Walsh respects highly. He is all about the team.

This will be our leadership group with Sloane the most likely choice for a captain and Talia a bit of a roughy.

I think realistically these are our options

Van Berlo
Sloane
Dangerfield
Walker
Talia

VB probably loses the captaincy on the basis that you need to perform on the field. That's unknown. He has not played since 2013 and even during that season, he probably would have been dropped a couple of times if he wasn't the captain.

Dangerfield probably gets ruled out because he remains unsigned by Christmas but would otherwise be a worthy captain albeit IMHO, not the best option.

Sloane would have to be the favourite. He has captain written all over him, is universally loved by the players, leads by example on the field and is very marketable off the field. He is probably the new Lenny Hayes in terms of how much he is loved and respected by everyone in the AFL not just his team or Crows fans. A clear favourite for mine.

Walker is also a bit of a spiritual leader of the club like Sloane. He is loved by players and supporters alike but is a bit of a lad. Very loyal and performs in big games. He has that ability to pick the team up and lead by his sheer talent and football brilliance.

Talia is a bit of a darkhorse in this race but I would not be surprised if he ends up being a captain. Immaculate in his preparation, performs on the game day....he rarely gets beaten and is a similar type of leader to Darren Glass whom Walsh respects highly. He is all about the team.

This will be our leadership group with Sloane the most likely choice for a captain and Talia a bit of a roughy.
I love where Tails is heading.
Still a very 'selfish' player at present - loves his lock down role and awesome at it. Not seen alot of support for teammates defensively and/or providing run. They are critical aspects needed before he can be a a truly effective leader for mine. They will come - just has a bit of a ways to go. Love his challenge to the group at the BnF. Challenge was laid down - but its about how he provides support to get others to prepare like he does, not just setting a standard, assisting people to meet that standard. Now, he may do that offfield, I just think its not quite there yet as reflected in the way he plays. He won't sacrifice run to provide an option just in case his man gets a goal. Some may see as harsh - I'm just calling out what I see as a development need (and one I expect him to meet)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love where Tails is heading.
Still a very 'selfish' player at present - loves his lock down role and awesome at it. Not seen alot of support for teammates defensively and/or providing run. They are critical aspects needed before he can be a a truly effective leader for mine. They will come - just has a bit of a ways to go. Love his challenge to the group at the BnF. Challenge was laid down - but its about how he provides support to get others to prepare like he does, not just setting a standard, assisting people to meet that standard. Now, he may do that offfield, I just think its not quite there yet as reflected in the way he plays. He won't sacrifice run to provide an option just in case his man gets a goal. Some may see as harsh - I'm just calling out what I see as a development need (and one I expect him to meet)
I think that's an excellent assessment of where he is at

It's sloane.

you couldnt put tex in front of the media & other relations even if we love him.
Danger - he's hedging his bets. As out of town crow showed danger was overflowing with club pride last time he was out of contract, this time he's being very, very cagey. Even if he stays, he's making a business decision.

Talia - worked for darren glass, but he was an exceptional leader and whilst good, I'm not sure Talia is that level. You have to be special to captain from FB.

Gotta be sloane. And anyone who can't see sloane dogs credentials, fails at footy

Just checking VB stats, which aren't the definitive guide of course:

Effective Disposals
#26 Scott Thompson 18.4
#41 Brodie Smith 17.6
#45 Matthew Jaensch 17.4
#52 Rory Sloane 15.4
#60 Brad Crouch 16.9
#87 Brent Reilly 15.7
#93 Patrick Dangerfield 15.4

Clangers
#20 Scott Thompson 3.2
#27 Taylor Walker 3.1
#34 Patrick Dangerfield 3.0
#34 James Podsiadly 3.0
#34 Brent Reillly 3.0
#60 Brad Crouch 2.7
#86 Ricky Henderson 2.5

The scariest part of this post is that Hendo only averaged two possessions a game...

It's sloane.

you couldnt put tex in front of the media & other relations even if we love him.
Danger - he's hedging his bets. As out of town crow showed danger was overflowing with club pride last time he was out of contract, this time he's being very, very cagey. Even if he stays, he's making a business decision.

Talia - worked for darren glass, but he was an exceptional leader and whilst good, I'm not sure Talia is that level. You have to be special to captain from FB.

Gotta be sloane. And anyone who can't see sloane dogs credentials, fails at footy

I think Sloane would be an excellent captain, but Dangerfield seems like the one that has it to lose.

If Danger comes out and extends his contract with the AFC at the heart of his decision - and speaks like a captain should then he'd be the obvious choice. He must commit to the club, show what he stands for above the $. It may be a business, but it's a business that swings both ways.

If he decides to play the "wait until the end of the year to maximise my contract" card - then Sloane is ahead of Talia and Tex by a fair way in my book.

Given Walsh's comment it will be tough for VB to retain the captaincy. 2015 will be a huge post injury test for him just to re-establish as a player. But maybe the pre-season will show enough.

I'm torn on the Captain decision, Sloane seems to apidimise everything Walsh stands for, Tex is our true spiritual leader while Danger is an elite damaging player that can take a game from the opposition

Given Walsh's comment it will be tough for VB to retain the captaincy. 2015 will be a huge post injury test for him just to re-establish as a player. But maybe the pre-season will show enough.

The most recent captain Walsh has been involved with is Boak. Who also happens to be one of just four players Walsh mentioned in his first presser on the basis of their team first ethic.

Much as I like VB and he's clearly highly respected for his off-field leadership, I don't see him leading from the front on the field in the way Boak does.

So the key question is, which of our likely candidates is most like Boak?

It's Danger for me has the biggest profile, loves the media but more importantly has the ability to do kick those team and crowd lifting goals that only eddie, tex and charlie could match.

Tex would be my 2nd choice

The most recent captain Walsh has been involved with is Boak. Who also happens to be one of just four players Walsh mentioned in his first presser on the basis of their team first ethic.

Much as I like VB and he's clearly highly respected for his off-field leadership, I don't see him leading from the front on the field in the way Boak does.

So the key question is, which of our likely candidates is most like Boak?

For me, that'd be Sloane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back