Frost - upgrade or remain on rookie list?

Should the club promote Frosty?

• Yep

Votes: 70 84.3%
  • Nup

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If he was going to be upgraded they would have done it by now.

There's simply no need to. He will take Shazza's place until the mid year then be the midseason promotion.

I'm sure he understands the situation. It's list management and he has his contract.

With Frost it is a matter of showing some faith and respect. He was the only who played every game of the season and did an admirable job in defence.

Arguably one of our shining lights of 2014.

As others have mentioned; no need to upgrade him. He has his contract and for all intents and purposes he is on the list anyway due to Schazza LTI. Can then be promoted on his own merit after Round 11. Simple list management. As long as being on the rookie list doesn't cap his salary (under what he is worth) not an issue for mine. Can still play 22 games next year.

Frosty has been rewarded for his 2014 form with a 2 year contract extension. As I understand it, the contract dictates his salary, not whether he's on the rookie or senior list. Cox for example has signed on for a reported $150K.

I'd love to see Frosty promoted and he definitely deserves it but pick 48 is to high to pass up.

I hope the club have had a very long chat with Frosty and explained that he's valued, required, and there's an expectation he'll be in line for senior selection from round 1, but for the long term benefit of the team he won't formally be promoted until 2015 ND.

Danger is that with such a young list, it becomes increasingly difficult to see where vacancies will appear at the end of the 2015 season. Can't see Swanny retiring so who goes? Young? Armstrong? Ramsay? Pressure will be on a lot of players in 2015 to hold their spots.

As others have mentioned; no need to upgrade him. He has his contract and for all intents and purposes he is on the list anyway due to Schazza LTI. Can then be promoted on his own merit after Round 11. Simple list management. As long as being on the rookie list doesn't cap his salary (under what he is worth) not an issue for mine. Can still play 25-26 games next year.

EFA

We have enough defedners like Ramsay but not enough like Armstrong.

Depends upon how you rate Armstrong. Personally, I think Ramsay has more upside given his age. Was the youngest on our list the year he was drafted and has taken time but the club obviously thinks he has a future and he showed a bit in his senior appearances. Hard to see Armstrong improving too much at 25-26.

I disagree with keeping him on the rookie list,

If he's going to get paid basically what amounts to a senior listed players wage this year and has had his contract back-ended in 2016 to bump the per year number up across the two year term then does it really matter if he is "officially" on the rookie list for 2015?

He's not going to play as a rookie (ie. he'll be promoted to the primary list for the entire year) and he's not getting paid as a rookie (ie. he'll be on a primary list player wage scale for the entire year), so which part of our list he sits on wont really mean much in the long run.

If he's going to get paid basically what amounts to a senior listed players wage this year and has had his contract back-ended in 2016 to bump the per year number up across the two year term then does it really matter if he is "officially" on the rookie list for 2015?

He's not going to play as a rookie (ie. he'll be promoted to the primary list for the entire year) and he's not getting paid as a rookie (ie. he'll be on a primary list player wage scale for the entire year), so which part of our list he sits on wont really mean much in the long run.
On the surface, from a purely numbers viewpoint totally correct.

It comes down to a matter of commitment, if we are going to rookie him again it - in effect - tells him we value him less than any other senior player on the list.

If you play that alongside of the consistent performance he put up last year in a very inconsistent side you are sending a very clear message of 'thank's mate and we'll get around to you when it suits us'.

If that's the message we want to send as a club to promising rookies who perform consistently under duress then we may just find it a little harder in future to convince young men to come to us.

One rookie has already walked, if we undervalue Frost and he walks we will be very sorry indeed.

5412072.jpg

It's the vibe...

I'll respectfully disagree with both of you on that front - having signed the contract and knowing that we do value his services already then which part of the list he officially sits on is moot. I'd agree wholeheartedly with you if he was not going to be elevated for the entire year but that's clearly not the case as he's clearly best 22 and will (barring injury) be playing out the entire season on the primary list - he knows it and the club knows it.

One other pertinent fact to remember is that he signed after the end of the 2014 season (after the prognosis for both Macaffer and Scharenberg was known), so the arrangement being discussed above may have already been put to Jack / his agent and agreed upon by both parties before signing, thus potentially making any point about the "vibe" coming from such a move or Frost feeling like he isn't valued by the club moot.

Occam's razor and all that jazz...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll respectfully disagree with both of you on that front - having signed the contract and knowing that we do value his services already then which part of the list he officially sits on is moot. I'd agree wholeheartedly with you if he was not going to be elevated for the entire year but that's clearly not the case as he's clearly best 22 and will (barring injury) be playing out the entire season on the primary list - he knows it and the club knows it.

One other pertinent fact to remember is that he signed after the end of the 2014 season (after the prognosis for both Macaffer and Scharenberg was known), so the arrangement being discussed above may have already been put to Jack / his agent and agreed upon by both parties before signing, thus potentially making any point about the "vibe" coming from such a move or Frost feeling like he isn't valued by the club moot.

I suppose if Jack and his manager are fine with it, then it's all good. Personally as a best 22 player I would be demanding a spot on the list for security/game time reasons. Furthermore it sends a messages to other clubs that he is a player we have intentions of looking after and keeping. If he is still on a rookie list, others will whisper things in his ear.

If Frost is comfortable with it all now, that is fine. But what happens a couple of years later when there is a disagreement over a contract and he reflects differently on this situation? Suddenly people are saying we were stupid for keeping him on the rookie list and that other clubs would have shown more faith etc...

Yes it's a lot of hearsay and "vibe", but it is a situation we can completely avoid by upgrading him after a fitting season long performance.

Differing opinions are what it's all about party, I don't disagree with the numbers or theory, just the look.

I think Armstrong's delisting all but confirms Frost being elevated.
85 will be his elevation number.

Well, I thought if they were upgrading Frosty, they would have announced at the same time as the delisting of Armstrong.
The deadline has passed.
Maybe the media ran with the Armstrong piece only?
Although the club has not tweeted anything about Frost.
Perhaps they are looking at delisted free agent?

Well, I thought if they were upgrading Frosty, they would have announced at the same time as the delisting of Armstrong.
The deadline has passed.
Maybe the media ran with the Armstrong piece only?
Although the club has not tweeted anything about Frost.
Perhaps they are looking at delisted free agent?
Agreed Lynchy, intriguing to say the least . . . . o_O:confused:

He is a senior player.

Frost has to be upgraded via the ND to formalise that promotion though doesn't he, same as Oxley last draft. The Armstrong story on the CFC website indicates that they have picks 48 & 85. Would only have 48 if Frosty was also on the senior list.

Back