HB: Adcock, Clarke, Rich
C: Hanley, Rockliff, Beams
FOL: Leuenberger, Zorko, Redden
HF: Taylor, Staker, Christensen
F: Green, Freeman, McStay
INT: Aish, Mayes, Martin, Robinson

Missed out:
Maguire, Lester, Claye Beams, McGuane, Bewick, Golby, Close

I must say on paper, this team has to make top 8. The positives are the guys who missed out could easily be in our best 22. Hopefully the amount of depth the list has, the club should be in contention for top 8.

Last edited:

LeppaMessiah

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well he has shown a bit at AFL level. Goes to show recruiters know much more than we do.
Yeah that's true I'm sure the recruiters have reasons we wouldn't have even contemplated, I'm also sure being 200cm and almost 100kg at the age of 20 has a lot to do with it too with that sorta size there's a bit to work with

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would the likes of Rich, Redden and co be automatic inclusions like they were under Voss? Redden played really well this season but has been injured a while. With this new depth we can cover those losses well enough so it creates healthy competition for spots and will further spur improvements in our players to take the next step.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Grew up playing footy with Jono freeman, me n a few of the guys from the club who I occasionally catch up with still can't believe he got picked up. Cain tickler always looked to have far more class but I spose injuries got the better of him
tickle.gif

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would the likes of Rich, Redden and co be automatic inclusions like they were under Voss? Redden played really well this season but has been injured a while. With this new depth we can cover those losses well enough so it creates healthy competition for spots and will further spur improvements in our players to take the next step.

easily... Redden is one of the leagues best tacklers, and really improved before getting injured. Rich is clearly in our best, and I think will be used at HB/HF to ease himself back into AFL

Swanny10

Crasher of Packs
Sep 14, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GSW (NBA), Maroons, QLD Bulls
Based on last season Close over Freeman by a fair way for me. Close played various possies and did take a few good contested marks. Played as a true CHF at times and was also moving back down the ground ala Brown like at times. Was played in the ruck, wrongly IMO, a fair bit and up until a natural loss of energy from a 19/20 year old KPP late in the season was showing fine promise. Freeman showed promise in a final 4 game burst with specific reference to one game. Close on the other hand played 14 games with his output slowing late on.

I agree Close showed some good signs and did take a couple of good contested marks for a 2nd year KPP which is a good sign. Really needs to be able to get more possessions though playing that lead up centre half forward role. Despite his higher aerobic ability he only averaged 6 disposals which is nowhere near the mark at this stage especially considering his lack of scoreboard impact.

ALso I agree he was a waste of time in the ruck but many are over rating the amount of time he spent in there. He really on had the odd stint there with the exception of a couple of games.

Freeman was able to take contested Marks in all but one game (hiding at Metricon) which I find very encouraging. He definitely has to work on his aerobic capacity as his is well below the AFL standard even for a full forward at this stage. To me he just looks like a guy who could develop into a focal point for our attack and he is the only player on our list presently I see in this light.

May 20, 2006
In the Clique.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree Close showed some good signs and did take a couple of good contested marks for a 2nd year KPP which is a good sign. Really needs to be able to get more possessions though playing that lead up centre half forward role. Despite his higher aerobic ability he only averaged 6 disposals which is nowhere near the mark at this stage especially considering his lack of scoreboard impact.

ALso I agree he was a waste of time in the ruck but many are over rating the amount of time he spent in there. He really on had the odd stint there with the exception of a couple of games.

Freeman was able to take contested Marks in all but one game (hiding at Metricon) which I find very encouraging. He definitely has to work on his aerobic capacity as his is well below the AFL standard even for a full forward at this stage. To me he just looks like a guy who could develop into a focal point for our attack and he is the only player on our list presently I see in this light.
I have a mate who sponsors Close. I have no choice but to watch him as I get to hear everything. blynd_freddie will understand!!!

Close spent far too much time in the ruck IMO especially when the ball was forward.
He took plenty of contested marks back up the ground when searching for ball a la brownie style. This is very good for us as a club that he is a worker. He took a couple of very good contested marks on the trust wing with one specific stand out among 3 opposing players. When watching the replay later it was a lot better live than the one dimensional modern devise that is telebishion veiwing. That mark does not make a career and a fairly heavy workload took it's toll late and his output slowed just about the time Jono Freeman came in but prior to that he was going very well for a 1st season 19 year old KPP. Nothing against Freeman but he was planted at FF in the initial phase of his very young career. Close was given a much harder gig in his 14 games. It is rare to see a young KPP given such a workload and hopefully he goes on from here. I am bullish about bookends Close and Clarke as both young men have shown a heck of a lot so far in very short careers. I need to see Jono Freeman play for a lot longer and am not going to make any comment based on the final 4 games he played in. If we bother to compare, I do realise that these conversations take place on the internet when they are really a bit premature, Close by so far it would be the length of the straight for me and that would be unfair on Jono Freeman based on him being thrown in at FF for a short end of season 4 game burst.

I have a mate who sponsors Close. I have no choice but to watch him as I get to hear everything. blynd_freddie will understand!!!

Close spent far too much time in the ruck IMO especially when the ball was forward.
He took plenty of contested marks back up the ground when searching for ball a la brownie style. This is very good for us as a club that he is a worker. He took a couple of very good contested marks on the trust wing with one specific stand out among 3 opposing players. When watching the replay later it was a lot better live than the one dimensional modern devise that is telebishion veiwing. That mark does not make a career and a fairly heavy workload took it's toll late and his output slowed just about the time Jono Freeman came in but prior to that he was going very well for a 1st season 19 year old KPP. Nothing against Freeman but he was planted at FF in the initial phase of his very young career. Close was given a much harder gig in his 14 games. It is rare to see a young KPP given such a workload and hopefully he goes on from here. I am bullish about bookends Close and Clarke as both young men have shown a heck of a lot so far in very short careers. I need to see Jono Freeman play for a lot longer and am not going to make any comment based on the final 4 games he played in. If we bother to compare, I do realise that these conversations take place on the internet when they are really a bit premature, Close by so far it would be the length of the straight for me and that would be unfair on Jono Freeman based on him being thrown in at FF for a short end of season 4 game burst.

Some good discussion here.

2014 was the debut year for Michael Close, he played the majority as a leading KPF with short bursts relieving in the ruck but one would assume if both Leuey and Stefan Martin were playing this would greatly reduce or become almost non-existent going forward.

As Swanny10 has already alluded to, in 2014 Close played 14 games with 88 disposals [an average of 6.9/gm] and although the game is played a lot differently to 14 years ago, it is worth noting that in 2000 a young J.Brown debuted achieving 123 disposals in his 13 games for the year - at an average of only 7.7, less than one more disposal per game than Close.

Browny increased his disposals the following year almost twofold to 13.9 - I think the bar needs to rise for Michael to at least double digits in 2015. I think an average of somewhere between 10 and 12 disposals is a realistic/achievable target if he was to play the majority of games next season.

BRING IT ON!

Agree with all of that blynd_freddie .

In terms of next year, if we play both Martin and Leuenberger, with one or other stationed up forward for periods, then I see more need for Close in the 22 than Freeman. Close gives you the mobility and work rate to allow a resting ruck to play forward. I'd be concerned about our forward defensive stuff if Freeman and Leuenberger (for example) were both stationed deep.

Our forward structure is going to be fascinating next year. I've even been musing that we may not play genuine key forwards, instead relying a resting ruckman, a mobile hybird KPP like Staker/McGuane/McStay, Mitch Robinson as the third tall, Green as the deep playing small and a group of half forward-mids who rotate through.

Matt_BL

All Australian
May 9, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Even though in theory these best 22's would be a good side, there's always someone who you don't expect lining up for the team in Round 1. This year it was Lewy Taylor and in previous years its been someone like a Claye Beams or Pearce Hanley. It may not happen, but Leppa has shown he isn't afraid to pull the trigger on some players. Wouldn't be suprised if we saw someone like Liam Dawson line up in round 1.

Even though in theory these best 22's would be a good side, there's always someone who you don't expect lining up for the team in Round 1. This year it was Lewy Taylor and in previous years its been someone like a Claye Beams or Pearce Hanley. It may not happen, but Leppa has shown he isn't afraid to pull the trigger on some players. Wouldn't be suprised if we saw someone like Liam Dawson line up in round 1.
Yeah, in a few months, someone might have had a roaring off season and gone from the fringes to firmly in the best 22. Having said that, a Scott Harding type situation could also eventuate, where someone looks a million bucks in the preseason, only to struggle once the season starts.

I think why I am less confident that a new player will bolt into selection calculations is because we blooded so many youngsters last season who would all have the goal of securing a best 22 spot. We then added 2-3 guys who are all matured as footballers. Someone like Dawson has to jump over a long line of players who are older and have senior football experience. That's going to be a tough ask - I don't think senior opportunities will present themselves as readily as we've seen in past years.

If someone pushes their way into senior reckoning, it might be a Cutler, Robertson type rather than a genuine newbie.

This off season will be fascinating.

It's better trying to squeeze people in than our best 22s pre-draft of the last few where people were penciling in our first and second round draft picks from round 1.

Swanny10

Crasher of Packs
Sep 14, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GSW (NBA), Maroons, QLD Bulls
Agree Close and Freeman may both struggle to make the round 1 side if all other options are fit. I see Staker and Close playing similar roles so would be going with one or the other. I'd also see Freeman and Merrett as playing for the other key forward post. I'd personally pick one of these combos as well as having Martin and Leuey up there resting at times.

Hornet1

Debutant
Aug 23, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
B: Adcock Merrett Gardiner
HB: Beams Clarke Hanley
C: Aish Rockcliff Robinson
HF: Christensen Staker Zorko
F: Green Freeman Mcguane
Foll: Leuie Beams Redden
Int: Martin Mayes Taylor Mcstay

Rich misses out only because he might not be ready after his knee reco. Staker and Mcguane are in based on their pre injury form and experience. Claye and Hanley I think would provide excellent run and skill off the back flanks.
I also think the bench provides alot of run and flexibility throughout the game.

Billy Puller

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Would not be surprised if we didn't see at all any of this years draft class play next year. We have an incredible amount of depth at the moment.

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
Seeing as Martin is the superior Ruck and roving mid, Leuey is going to have to start plucking some serious high balls. There must be a way to get this bloke to bulk up?

Some of the stuff advertised on facebook looks promising. This one weird fruit...

Back