List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Watts without elite skills or elite speed is a perfectly fine comparison for Tom Lamb, he's not a top 25 player on production, not close. Defensive skills lacking, doesn't have a set position, doesn't win his own ball in midfield, not strong enough to play key forward.

As I already mentioned he's a far more competitive beast than Watts & I acknowledged he lacks his skills & class but if Lamb is anything like Watts at u18 level then he goes pick 1-3, which obviously won't happen.

Tom Lamb had a slow end to his season & certainly under performed given his potential but you are being harsh saying the production isn't there.

Lamb averaged 21 touches a game for the Stingrays which included a 25 touch, 13 mark & 6 goal game. He also recorded two season high games of 33 touches. A low production player doesn't go through a season with those types of numbers. Question his competition all you want but the numbers are there.

In the u18's for Country he averaged 15 touches a game. Yes he underwhelmed given his talent but the numbers are still there & you will struggle to find a player of his height with those 'Riewoldt' type numbers.

Considering his elite endurance & production levels its no wonder many clubs see him as a midfielder in the long term.

Lamb at the beginning of the year was rated a real chance of being top 5, even higher. The negative press surrounding his poor attitude has many talking him down & not even in 1st round calculations which I find staggering. If he gets to pick 21/22 we would do well to pick him.

Yeah hopefully it'll not be an issue for us long-term.

But say we win 3 games next year. Other than optimism, and cash, there's no real reason for Treloar for example to come to Saints. He is definitely getting gametime wherever he goes, he's definitely getting a bumper contract. He'd surely have to look at someone who is going to play finals in his next 2-3 seasons. After that anyone would be lying if they said they could predict what might happen.

It's one thing to get a young kid in the door and retain them, with a good club vibe, culture etc. Especially bringing lots of folk around the same age through together (hence our future fest thing). It is a lot easier to hold onto someone by selling them a vision, than it is convincing someone of where your club is headed in 2-3 years. Travis Boak for example, had he been playing in Queensland in his early years, would never ever have moved to Port Adelaide in 2013. But they could convince him to stay there. People in general don't like change unless they can see it's for the better. Treloar is almost definitely going to look at a change. We can get him closer to home but not much else other than cash.
If we got Treloar it's because we've paid stupid money, and he is happier to take cash over what might be better for his career.

The players we will get however are those looking for opportunity, or don't have loads of the Vic clubs lined up to sign them.
Hopefully in 2016 we start to rise up the ladder, and then we'll be a very attractive proposal. Potentially one of the most, as a Vic club on the up. North would be really attractive if they didn't look like having been in their window already and made a relative hash of it.

Also in future as free agency expands to younger players (it's inevitable), teams at the top of the ladder with 12-14 elite players (like current Hawthorn) won't have cap room to be able to chase any more than 1 top free agent if at all, and there'll be more than 1 or 2 decent ones on the market each year. Looking at the NFL, top players change clubs in their 4th-6th year all the time, and it creates more parity in the market.

I think you ar missing the point when it comes to FA...

Both Teloar and Cameron will come to us because BF says they will. Pretty simple really.

I've seen enough vision to say I respectfully agree to disagree. Doesn't look like a great user to me whatsoever.

Are you sure you're watching the right player? Neal-Bullen is a very neat user of the footy. A lot like Lenny in a lot of ways, not an elite kick but he doesn't miss many targets.

Just watched both highlights packages and judging from the small samples I like Wigg's disposal a bit more. More damaging and really gets to it's target destination quickly. Wigg reads as a bigger accumulator as well.
Webb has more scope through middle and to kick goals and isn't to did immolate to Nicky dal with great dukes aswell prefe webb

Boyd was a funny one, as he moved a lot earlier than anyone realistically could have expected, and there weren't many clubs that could offer GWS suitable enough compensation to cover not just losing the player, but the precedent it sets. They got burned more than just losing a talent.

To me the slightly ironic side of the Boyd deal is that in the short term neither side really wins, or at least gets off clean; Dogs are paying stupid money including to another team's player (how the hell do Swans get the grief from AFL they got with the ultimatum this year, but rules are bent to allow Dogs to give GWS cap help?!) and have had their captain walk out, while GWS have had to try and circle the wagons and turn a prized asset walking out into something positive. GWS don't have a set culture in place, they've been mostly kids finding their own way rather than being guided by mentors. Having their top pick just decide it's not for him, then managing to get his own way about it, could come back to bite them.

Boyd couldn't have gotten to Hawthorn or Geelong for example even if he'd wanted to. Realistically to get game time on a club coming up relatively soon, he was looking at probably North or WB. North wouldn't have gotten the trade done, everything of value they have, they need. The Griffen shenanigans just hit at a good time for Boyd, it was his ticket out.

Other players will be more likely to come to us, but the elite won't, not until we make a jump up the ladder and look like heading to finals. It's all well and good us saying that's the plan, and us fans being bought into the Saints being on the up. But a top player sick of losing, with no affiliation to the club and with their own best interests at heart, would have to see evidence of us looking good before signing.

Webb has more scope through middle and to kick goals and isn't to did immolate to Nicky dal with great dukes aswell prefe webb

Yup can't disagree with Webb being the more natural midfielder & he has played a lot of footy in the front half so the scope for a goal kicking midfielder is there. Can we have both? One would need to be a rookie selection.

Jack Watts without elite skills or elite speed is a perfectly fine comparison for Tom Lamb, he's not a top 25 player on production, not close. Defensive skills lacking, doesn't have a set position, doesn't win his own ball in midfield, not strong enough to play key forward.
You have made my day (and that's hard cause I finished exams just then). by saying that and giving me confidence in what I have been saying all year now feels good that someone who actually knows his stuff is saying some people
Who only look at his combine times IMO but this may bring some people around to the player comparison

Just on those linked to us, is it just me or

Mckernan- poor man's stanley
Petrenko- poor mans saad (granted I rate saad higher than most)
Hunt- better version of tom curren

As I already mentioned he's a far more competitive beast than Watts & I acknowledged he lacks his skills & class but if Lamb is anything like Watts at u18 level then he goes pick 1-3, which obviously won't happen.

Tom Lamb had a slow end to his season & certainly under performed given his potential but you are being harsh saying the production isn't there.

Lamb averaged 21 touches a game for the Stingrays which included a 25 touch, 13 mark & 6 goal game. He also recorded two season high games of 33 touches. A low production player doesn't go through a season with those types of numbers. Question his competition all you want but the numbers are there.

In the u18's for Country he averaged 15 touches a game. Yes he underwhelmed given his talent but the numbers are still there & you will struggle to find a player of his height with those 'Riewoldt' type numbers.

Considering his elite endurance & production levels its no wonder many clubs see him as a midfielder in the long term.

Lamb at the beginning of the year was rated a real chance of being top 5, even higher. The negative press surrounding his poor attitude has many talking him down & not even in 1st round calculations which I find staggering. If he gets to pick 21/22 we would do well to pick him.
Ive got a Saints garden Gnome in my back yard who's a far more 'competitive beast' than Jack Watts.
Thats hardly a big wrap :p

Cam Delaney delisted by North. 12 months ago their BF board was happy to see Luke go because Cam was going to be better..

Wouldn't mind giving him a rookie spot
Edit: North plan to rookie him. Doesn't mean we can't get in first..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Webb has more scope through middle and to kick goals and isn't to did immolate to Nicky dal
"Webb ... just Dal Santo to beat at the 50m arc ... Webb fakes left, fakes right, now goes left ... just burns Dal Santo off ... puts on the afterburners and strolls into an open goal for his third this quarter! WEBB'S ON FIRE!!"

Jeez Harrison Wigg seems like a very level headed and mature individual. Really good interview on AFL.com.au
Wouldn't mind him at 41, only knock is his size, 179cm isn't much bigger than me and I'm a short ass!
Still, looks like he has the tools to make it

I don't hate Tom Simpkin as i love his efforts but would much prefer Cameron Delaney on our senior list over him considering he can actually play KPD and is tall enough to do so..

Hopefully Tommy can make a lot of us eat our words next year and have a big season. Fingers crossed for him!

Cam's last senior game he had 19 disposals and 12 marks! was only against Melbourne but still impressive.

Petracca, Langford, Neal Bullen, Webb
Membrey
Grace, Delaney, McKernan, Schneider

YUM
Petracca
Durdin/lever/see below
Langford/cockatoo/Ellis/Duggan/Brampton/anb
41 who knows

I don't hate Tom Simpkin as i love his efforts but would much prefer Cameron Delaney on our senior list over him considering he can actually play KPD and is tall enough to do so..

Hopefully Tommy can make a lot of us eat our words next year and have a big season. Fingers crossed for him!

Cam's last senior game he had 19 disposals and 12 marks! was only against Melbourne but still impressive.
Injuries have taken a toll with cam, probably get picked up by us again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back