Society & Culture Has anybody experienced people with personality disorders?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fuzzy Wuzzy Bear

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2004
New Eden
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A crazy girl who I cut contact with sent my a message from a new number after 2 months of ignoring her. I haven't answered, as she almost certainly has has BPD (Borderline personality disorder) as I soon found out after spending time with her. I read up on the signs and it was like describing her to a T. Aside from stalking both online and real life, these people usually have huge abandonment/daddy issues, they will worship you but at the same time will do things to sabotage the relationships they forge as part of a self fulfilling prophecy. Basically, they have the brain of a child and can only think in black and white. So, you are either good or bad in their eye and have to walk on egg shells because the slightest thing you say could be a trigger to them. Another thing is reckless indifference, she does lots of drugs, including ice, drinks just about every night and smokes like a chimney. I went no-contact after a couple of months of seeing her, but I have heard stories of guys/girls who get caught up with these people for years due to the push/pull cycle.

I'm sure there are people here who have run into people with Borderline personality disorder, narcissistic personality and all the cluster b issues etc and have some good stories. Did they continually try to get back into your life after you had left? Did you find yourself miserable when around them?

Last edited:
one of my best mates has a remarkable and ridiculous ability to end up dating women that you describe -

not sure what that says about him...

thankfully his last relationship was a lot better... he may have begun to notice the 'signs' better and steer clear....

but at the same time, sometimes i think he seeks these 'crazy relationships', as it helps fit the narrative that he's 'hard done by'....

Yeah my 'former' best mate's missus, ****ing mental bitch.
these people usually have huge abandonment/daddy issues, they will worship you but at the same time will do things to sabotage the relationships they forge as part of a self fulfilling prophecy. Basically, they have the brain of a child and can only think in black and white. So, you are either good or bad in their eye and have to walk on egg shells because the slightest thing you say could be a trigger to them.
This is a good description.

Yeah my 'former' best mate's missus, ****ing mental bitch.
This is a good description.

Does she keep coming back to him? I found out when I educated myself about why they do what they do, it's much easier to walk away because you know it will never change.

Can I have her number?

You on that crystal meth time?

one of my best mates has a remarkable and ridiculous ability to end up dating women that you describe -

not sure what that says about him...

thankfully his last relationship was a lot better... he may have begun to notice the 'signs' better and steer clear....

but at the same time, sometimes i think he seeks these 'crazy relationships', as it helps fit the narrative that he's 'hard done by'....

This is the first girl who I have seen who has had anything like this, but for guys who continue to go with them I think it has something to do with co-dependency issues. Your mate might have something like that if he continues to seek out relationships with people like that.

Does she keep coming back to him? I found out when I educated myself about why they do what they do, it's much easier to walk away because you know it will never change.
It's a shame because we were friends almost 30 years ago in pre-primary and now aren't even on speaking terms anymore because of her, I assume they are together because they have a kid and he was already whipped even before that. I used to actually be good friends with her until falling out over something that wasn't nothing but 99% of people would get over pretty quickly, and she went all ****ing weird with us after that. The black and white thinking, being ridiculously paranoid and being clingy or worrying about abandonment is spot on.

Oh and she also spent a couple of weeks in a mental hospital after scratching her arms and going nuts..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll tell you if you want, as i did/do the same thing.

Please do go ahead, I have a similar record.

I've tried to step back and look at the way I view women (went into more detail in a different thread) and relationships, adjust my own behaviour and kind of (* this sounds corny) "be the kind of person you want to attract" i.e. I was attracting unstable women because I was unstable (drinking too much, bad diet, no goals, no work ethic etc) in life.

Thing are going better since I've started being better to myself.

As for personality disorders, yeah I've had a fair bit of experience with it including my own at times.

It's a shame because we were friends almost 30 years ago in pre-primary and now aren't even on speaking terms anymore because of her, I assume they are together because they have a kid and he was already whipped even before that. I used to actually be good friends with her until falling out over something that wasn't nothing but 99% of people would get over pretty quickly, and she went all ****ing weird with us after that. The black and white thinking, being ridiculously paranoid and being clingy or worrying about abandonment is spot on.

Oh and she also spent a couple of weeks in a mental hospital after scratching her arms and going nuts..

Yep. The rest of society ends up getting punished her father issues. This one can't take a hint either, despite me ignoring her for over 2 months now. And if you tell her where to go, she feeds off the drama.

Please do go ahead, I have a similar record.

I've tried to step back and look at the way I view women (went into more detail in a different thread) and relationships, adjust my own behaviour and kind of (**** this sounds corny) "be the kind of person you want to attract" i.e. I was attracting unstable women because I was unstable (drinking too much, bad diet, no goals, no work ethic etc) in life.

Thing are going better since I've started being better to myself.

As for personality disorders, yeah I've had a fair bit of experience with it including my own at times.

What type do you have, if you are ok with sharing?

In my line of work, have met plenty. BPD's generally a resukt of complex childhood trauma and vewed through that lens many of the behaviours can be better understood. One thing I'd recommend to people is to set boundaries and stick to them. This is because of the chaotic nature, emotional inflammability and poor impulse control of people with this problem.

I much porefer to deal with borderlines than narcissists. Their sense of entitlement shits me to death (and I can recognise some of theit traits in my past self).

What type do you have, if you are ok with sharing?

An adjustment disorder, social anxiety mostly. It was never a major issue, but my lifestyle made it a lot worse than it needed to be (wasn't helped by the fact my professional life was going more or less ok the whole time, meaning I had funds to make the problem bigger). It wasn't something I was born with, I acquired it during childhood/teen years.

The boss at my last work was bipolar and she did not manage it well. You could do the exact same thing on two different days, one day it would be fine and the other you'd get a chewing out for the ages. Every morning you'd sit there wondering which version was going to show up that day. Most of the time she was fine, but when her mood really swung it was pretty much just her looking around for things that she could go off her nut about.

It was definitely a factor in my decision to leave.

I feel guilty blaming people for not sorting it out or getting it under control, but to a degree I think a lot of disorders are manageable if the person understands the nature of the issue. It might make them more suitable for other types of work, or just make them focus on coping techniques so they don't lose control, or even medication if necessary.

The boss at my last work was bipolar and she did not manage it well..
Personalty disorders are a series of learned behaviors as a result of experiences in upbringing. Bipolar is not a personalty disorder. its a label given by pharmaceutical companies for marketing purposes. It is PTSD complicated by lifestyle, environment, lack of knowledge and diet. Medications at best are placebos, unless the symptoms are from epilepsy. At worse the medications create a reliance on psychiatry and normally shorten the lifespan of the user by up to quarter of a century, if they dodge the liver issues and cancers.

Personalty disorders are a series of learned behaviors as a result of experiences in upbringing. Bipolar is not a personalty disorder. its a label given by pharmaceutical companies for marketing purposes. It is PTSD complicated by lifestyle, environment, lack of knowledge and diet. Medications at best are placebos, unless the symptoms are from epilepsy. At worse the medications create a reliance on psychiatry and normally shorten the lifespan of the user by up to quarter of a century, if they dodge the liver issues and cancers.
Noted.

Then you get into cross generational trauma...

An adjustment disorder, social anxiety mostly. It was never a major issue, but my lifestyle made it a lot worse than it needed to be (wasn't helped by the fact my professional life was going more or less ok the whole time, meaning I had funds to make the problem bigger). It wasn't something I was born with, I acquired it during childhood/teen years.

I hear you mate I was told by my GP that I have SA too, also due to childhood stuff. I experience it pretty much everywhere I go except gym strangely enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back